Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Beavers making a return to Detroit.

After about 150 years looks like Beavers are returning to the Detroit and Rouge Rivers. Looks like some of the vacant land in the city does have some redeeming qualities.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...-Detroit-River

Beavers in the Rouge? That is impressive, never thought that river could ever sustain life.

Rebuilding Detroit, one tree at time!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    After about 150 years looks like Beavers are returning to the Detroit and Rouge Rivers. Looks like some of the vacant land in the city does have some redeeming qualities.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...-Detroit-River
    Oh..... I thought the old Jerry Mathers show.

just this summer i did a kayak trip on the rouge. from fort street to the detroit river. it was full of wildlife. thousands of gulls on the north side nesting in the concrete rubble. turtles jumping in the river as we got close. at the mouth of the river, all the tie off spot have notices by dte that it is a sanctuary area and are off limits. the rouge river is alive and well.

Don't worry. The Petroleum Coke piles at the river's edge by the bridge will soon put a halt to all of this.

This can only be good news.

Over seven years ago I discovered some beaver-gnawed trees NNW of Utica in a remote area of River Bends Park. There were many fat fish in the Clinton River there too. An upriver paper mill had previously closed. Maybe that helped?

I've also spotted a Great Blue Heron and a muskrat in the Clinton right near downtown Utica.

I'm hoping to spot more wildlife when the weather warms up.

Why would Beavers be populating the Detroit River? Wouldn't they feel more at home along the "Lodge"? hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Over seven years ago I discovered some beaver-gnawed trees NNW of Utica in a remote area of River Bends Park. There were many fat fish in the Clinton River there too. An upriver paper mill had previously closed. Maybe that helped?

I've also spotted a Great Blue Heron and a muskrat in the Clinton right near downtown Utica.

The Blue Heron have a rookery in the River Bends Park on Ryan Rd near 23 Mile.

You can also observe the Cormorants on the front and rear range lights at the entrance to the Detroit River.

Free BBQ beaver, food for those on a tight budget.....instead of just BBQ raccoon.

Just what Detroit needs, more squatters/scavengers that don't pay taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Beavers in the Rouge? That is impressive, never thought that river could ever sustain life.
    This is news? There were beavers & muskrat in the Rouge in the 60's & 70's when the river was extremely polluted. We used to see them in the area of Eliza Howell park. It was not uncommon to see trees chewed and beaver dams. After all, beavers and muskrat are rodents, what species could be tougher? Beavers eat only vegetation. Muskrat also eats vegetation, as well as crawfish, which has thrived along the rouge.

Castors dans le rouge? Can you share some photos?

Maybe you will catch one of the two-legged kind...bonne chance!

Does this mean the lap dancing ban might be lifted soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Does this mean the lap dancing ban might be lifted soon?
    Excellent - LOL!

Detroit's finest: