Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: James Del Rio

Default James Del Rio

Thinking about Monica Conyers & others made me remember some other gems we've had grace our political landscape over the years. James Del Rio came to mind.
    He was as colorful and crazed as Monica [[maybe more).
    Anyone less remember his great accomplishments while in and out of office?

There have been many "colorful characters" on City Council through the years. Del Rio is one, but Bill Rogell, David Eberhardt [[sp?) and Jack Kelly also come to mind.
    Someone should write a book.....

When it comes to Colorful Characters of Detroit, Coleman Young was the standard by which the rest will be judged.

As far as Del Rio, I had almost forgotten about him. Given the fact I was probably only all of 10 years old in his heydey and still remember the name probably says enough.

I think he was the one that provided Pete Waldmeier with his column material before Hizzoner came along.

The thing I remember most vividly about Judge Del Rio was him pulling a gun out from under his robes and threatening a quarrelsome lawyer with it. Didn't a gunfight once break out in his courtroom, with the judge taking an active role?

The elder Ken Cockrell.

What a goof.

Coleman was far too corrupt to get caught.

Who was the white haired lady that was Council president? Martha somebody .... Riggs?

Yes, I recall the day when hot lead was flying around Del Rio's court room. The good old Recorder's Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The elder Ken Cockrell.

What a goof.
    Ken Cockrel Sr. was one of the best coucilmembers of my lifetime. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, he was an honest man who was really convinced that he could change things and make people's lives better. He was one of the few people who actually took on Coleman Young directly. Unfortunately, the pressure of it all, and the disappointment of being unable to effect much, if any, real change, drove him off the Council and probably contributed to his early death.

Ah, yes. The "honorable" Del Rio of New Bethel Baptist Church fame. Rafael Viera shot and killed DPD Officer Czapski [[sp?) in front of the aforementioned church and Del Rio promptly released him, never to be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Ah, yes. The "honorable" Del Rio of New Bethel Baptist Church fame. Rafael Viera shot and killed DPD Officer Czapski [[sp?) in front of the aforementioned church and Del Rio promptly released him, never to be seen again.
    That's a pretty gross over-simplification of an incident in which Detroit Police without provocation raided and fired upon a meeting in a church, wounding 4 of the people inside. Also, it was Judge Crockett who set up court in a police station and released many of the over 100 people the DPD had detained - many without charge, and many of whom had been beaten. Not to support Jimmy Del Rio, because he was an ass, but Del Rio was a state senator at the time, and was the one who was called by Rev. Franklin and then apparently called Crockett.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-03-09 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ken Cockrel Sr. was one of the best coucilmembers of my lifetime.
    Are we talking about the same Ken Cockrell? 60's militant, radical activist and defender of cop killers like Hayward Brown?

Yes, that Ken Cockrel. And Meddle, was it Maryann Mahaffey you refer to?

Yeah, that was her!

I don't know where I got Martha from.

Here is some interesting information on Del Rio from a 1974 Time Magazine article:

Del Rio, 49, was literally salvaged from a trash can as a newborn, and was adopted and raised by a Jewish father and a black mother. A high-pressure businessman since the age of 15, he ran a successful real estate firm, won election to the state legislature, crammed his way through law school and passed the bar.

Explosive enough on the bench, Del Rio once called Norman L. Lippitt, attorney for the police association, into his chambers and, in his own words, told Lippitt:

"Don't give me that smart-ass Jewish attitude, because I've been a smart-ass Jew for 16 years of my life." The police newspaper has called him "Bozo the Clown"; for this and other insults, he has filed a $200,000 libel suit.

It is ridiculous -- hilarious that persons who do not know the difference between Jimmy Del Rio, Ken Cockrel Sr.or Mayor Coleman Young belabor this thread with their opinions.

Coleman Young was a national tragedy. I have no idea why Jimmy Carter held him in such high regard.

Votes baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Are we talking about the same Ken Cockrell? 60's militant, radical activist and defender of cop killers like Hayward Brown?
    Yup, that one [[although I guess it wouldn't do to point out that Brown was never convicted and was acquitted several times over by various courts in that case, or, that like any other defendant he had the right to a vigorous defense by the counsel of his choice). A fine and honest Councilmember and a fierce advocate for the people of the City of Detroit. While Jimmy Del Rio was a mf and a crook, and most likely crazy on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanAlliance View Post
    It is ridiculous -- hilarious that persons who do not know the difference between Jimmy Del Rio, Ken Cockrel Sr.or Mayor Coleman Young belabor this thread with their opinions.
    Indeed. The above poster seems also to have somehow confounded Maryann Mahaffey, Martha Griffiths, and maybe Mary Beck, Erma Henderson, and Bobby Riggs [[or was that Billy Rogell?) into the same person.

I guess it wouldn't do to point out that Brown was never convicted and was acquitted several times over by various courts in that case,
    Doesn't mean he wasn't one of the ones who bailed out of the car and opened fire on four officers.
    Last edited by Meddle; July-07-09 at 04:34 PM.

The best Del Rio in Detroit was the Del Rio Bar, on Third near Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ken Cockrel Sr. was one of the best coucilmembers of my lifetime. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, he was an honest man who was really convinced that he could change things and make people's lives better. He was one of the few people who actually took on Coleman Young directly. Unfortunately, the pressure of it all, and the disappointment of being unable to effect much, if any, real change, drove him off the Council and probably contributed to his early death.

Too much cocaine and Sheila not opening the door for the EMS, contributed to his early death.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Coleman Young was a national tragedy. I have no idea why Jimmy Carter held him in such high regard.
    The first two terms of Coleman Young was an absolute necessity. The third term - not so much.