Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Southwest Detroit woman's home robbed 2 days in a row

This is crazy! Just brazen bold. They know the police will not be coming. As one commenter said 'it's a war between those who go to work and those who are broke and watch...'.

She even followed the robbers in her car after they broke in!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21...-days-in-a-row
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-18-13 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    This is crazy! Just brazen bold. They know the police will not be coming. As one commenter said 'it's a war between those who go to work and those who are broke and watch...'.

I wish someone would do a follow up. The DPD probably ticketed her for admittedly speeding.

I have being robbed before in the ghettoes of Detroit 4 times. I'm not going to play cop, detective or Superman. The best you can do is look and report.

And If you do get robbed and hopefully the prep doesn't kill you! The report to the police immediately! [[Even through there is a lack of security which is an illusion.) After that cope, hope and pray that God's grace save your life.

Default Move

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I have being robbed before in the ghettoes of Detroit 4 times. I'm not going to play cop, detective or Superman. The best you can do is look and report.

And If you do get robbed and hopefully the prep doesn't kill you! The report to the police immediately! [[Even through there is a lack of security which is an illusion.) After that cope, hope and pray that God's grace save your life.
    If you've been broken into 4 times, you move!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    If you've been broken into 4 times, you move!
    Now THERE's the spirit that made Detroit what it is today. Having property crime troubles in your neighborhood? Don't defend your neighborhood and its institutions! Move, and withdraw your resources and support, so the neighborhood will go from property crime to violent crime, while you move off to the next neighborhood, which will be tomorrow's slum, because when the going gets tough ...

... MOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Having property crime troubles in your neighborhood? Don't defend your neighborhood and its institutions!
    Defending yourself against property crime often leads to a lawsuit against yourself by the perps, or the families of the perps.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Defending yourself against property crime often leads to a lawsuit against yourself by the perps, or the families of the perps.
    Typical move-and-run metro Detroiter, skedaddles at the first rattle of the window, and totally WOULD defend his home, but for the big, bad litigious city. What kind of man are you? Scared that the CHUD's family is going to sue you? That's the best you can do? Seriously?

A young friend bought a her first "nice" car last week, a 2011 Taurus, clean and loaded; she parked it in front of her downtown apartment building that evening, after bringing it home from the dealers.

When she went out at 6 am, it was gone. Talk about heartbreaking.

[[now of course, there's the matter of wisdom; not parking it in a "secure" lot, but I'm just sayin'....)

You think moving to another area will solve your problems?

You think that buying a gun will solve your problems?

You think that buying a security alarm is going to solve your problems?

NO!

Crime happens everywhere, Detroit, suburbs, ex-urbs and even the Amish community. So get used to it, folks While living in Detroit all my life. I have been bullied, sucker punched in the face, getting by behind whipped, house broken into, almost got stabbed and robbed by gunpoint twice in Detroit and suburbs. I wasn't that scarred I was waiting for them the throw the first punch. And if I've survive I will start fighting for life.

Typical move-and-run metro Detroiter, skedaddles at the first rattle of the window, and totally WOULD defend his home, but for the big, bad litigious city.
    "It's a terrible tragedy, <name here> never hurt anyone and never meant anyone harm. A victim of Detroit's crushing poverty and the EFM's draconian cuts in city services. Now he has been cut down in the prime of his life by a gun-toting vigilante lunatic. You do *not* have a right to take someone's life in defense of your home, sir. All we are calling for is justice for my client."

--Geoffrey Feiger, in a future press conference [[if the person defending his/her home is rich)

ABSOLUTELY!

It'll increase my chances of survival.

NO! In Detroit it makes no difference.

Crime happens everywhere, Detroit, suburbs, ex-urbs and even the Amish community.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to the frequency and intensity with which it happens in Detroit.

Chicago48If you've been broken into 4 times, you move!

Now THERE's the spirit that made Detroit what it is today. Having property crime troubles in your neighborhood? Don't defend your neighborhood and its institutions! Move, and withdraw your resources and support, so the neighborhood will go from property crime to violent crime, while you move off to the next neighborhood, which will be tomorrow's slum, because when the going gets tough ...

... MOVE!
    Originally Posted by JBMcB
    Typical move-and-run metro Detroiter, skedaddles at the first rattle of the window, and totally WOULD defend his home, but for the big, bad litigious city. What kind of man are you? Scared that the CHUD's family is going to sue you? That's the best you can do? Seriously?
    You are a fucking ridiculous person.
    Last edited by bailey; March-18-13 at 02:02 PM.

Shollin Guest

Moving absolutely solved my problems. Since I left I haven't had any of cars or garage broken into. What sealed the deal for me was when my elderly neighbor was robbed and bludgeoned in his own home. he survived but he never lived in the house again.

Gotta wonder about the attitude that being broken into 4 times isn't sufficient justification for one to move. As if one needed to justify their choice of neighborhood to anyone.

Of course, it would be OK if you were moving in order to live in a "sustainable, walkable" neighborhood that just happened to be safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Per the 2013 Executive budget information:

4/1/2012 Actual 2012-2013 Recommended
    Uniform Positions 2573 2432
    Uniform Grant Positions 107 107
    Civilian Positions 281 404
    Civilian Grant Positions 11 11

I'm so sick and tired of hearing DPD insist they don't have the man power to address this stuff [[especially when the citizen is following the criminals). Are they understaffed? yes. Is it ridiculous when DPD brass insist there are only 2 cars patrolling in a district at any given time? yes

Assume that you need 3 shifts to cover the work. Since there is a 25% sick/absentee rate that would mean over 600 uniform positions per shift [[800*75%)

600 officers would equal over 4 officers per square mile. Yes there is leadership over head but the numbers above don't count for the massive amounts of overtime.

When are one of the local reporters [[or hopefully the EFM) going to take DPD brass to task to find out what these 2432 uniformed officers are doing because they sure as hell aren't patrolling the neighborhoods, following up on crime, addressing critical calls.

I feel bad for the good officers but when you have a staff of 2954 people then you should be able to do something [[beyond acting as crossing guards for Tigers and Lions games).

Hell based upon the service we get, just divvy up the $330MM dollars to the neighborhooods to hire their own private security companies because DPD sure as hell is not offering any benefit for the third of a Billion dollar budget they get.

Enough excused from DPD, tell me what the staff is actually doing and why a staff of 3000 can't follow up on a crime in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You are a fucking ridiculous person.
    Hahaha. That's pretty good. I admit, in all seriousness, I am being ridiculous. I love overstating on this board for effect, and trying a little comedy is nothing new for me.

Frankly, if any of my friends want to leave the city for the suburbs, I never say boo to them. Sometimes they're really apologetic about the subject, and I tell them to forget it. If you don't feel safe, that's enough for me. I won't give you any trouble. If you're a really good friend, I'll help you move.

And yet, yes, underneath all this, is the sense that we can move away from our problems, and that this is our consistent local answer to social ills. Individual people moving away from a place is understandable. Even several people moving away from that place is normal in touch times. But for that to be our answer in every instance? You'll end up with sprawling ghettoes and ever-more distant, diffuse settlement patterns. Neighborhoods that are protected survive.

But see how this thread goes? I lived in New York City and my apartment was broken into. Should I have moved? The police were there to fill out the report right away. The neighbors gave my lady friend a ride in their car to look for our lost dog, which we found.

Property crime is a fact of life. There are many measures that can be taken before one decides to withdraw one's resources and energy from a community. Might even be an impetus to join the neighborhood watch, meet with your precinct captain, install motion detectors on your lights, invest in some home defense.

It's not for everyone, I know. But if that's our knee-jerk reaction, to move after any property crime, it's not that way everywhere. In other cities, in other neighborhoods, the people who live there defend it and work closely with police and run citizens' patrols. If I moved every time I had a break-in, by that rationale I'd have had to move out of New York City even when I really enjoyed it.

... MOVE!

But what exactly is your solution to the problem when block clubs or barricading your property are simply not enough? Oh sure, property crime does happen everywhere, I completely agree. And I do agree it's a bit of knee jerk reaction to say "Move now." That is unless being a victim is always on your mind. That's at least what I heard from people that have moved to Atlanta and constantly tell me how much better their lifestyle is. Maybe it's a false sense of security...they can still be broken into. But I would guess that the problems in Detroit take a strong psychological toll on its residents.

My brother lives on Hubbard near the Blvd, south of West Vernor.He's had his share of incidents. Personally, I think he's out of his fucking mind to live there. He can afford to move with no problem. I use the term live loosely - if you have to live with security cameras, guard dogs and guns, to me, that's not living.

The move to stay is to live in shared dwellings... if you are alone your particularly vulnerable. These robbers know this woman is alone. For the short term she may need to move since this is a pattern specific to her house in an area where the word is passed on this sorta of thing. What happens when the robbers come back and the don't want 'property' but something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Moving absolutely solved my problems. Since I left I haven't had any of cars or garage broken into. What sealed the deal for me was when my elderly neighbor was robbed and bludgeoned in his own home. he survived but he never lived in the house again.

I hear you. The 'crime happens everywhere' canard/ slogan is beyond tired and useless.

Crime is a lower percentage other places, period. And percentage like points on a mortgage is crucial of we can dispense with responding to the store sales and 10% discounts when looking for deals.

If the percentage [[exposure) rate of being robbed, occousted or worse is more in the city right now [[and it is) that IS MEANINGFUL. At least to me it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Crime happens everywhere, Detroit, suburbs, ex-urbs and even the Amish community.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to the frequency and intensity with which it happens in Detroit.

Come on Danny. You know better than that! Withstanding what I will take as a bit of sarcasm [[smile) but the whole 'crime is everywhere' is just not TRUE.

Sure you best be careful and watchful where ever you go... But it is the percent of crime that is the crucial factor.

In this case and sadly in many areas in Detroit we are talking about APPLIED CRIME AT THE "NON-CHALANT" [[we have no worry of being stopped) LEVEL!

This woman [[obviously alone, a known factor by the robbers) being made a mark, literally watched and targeted in a context where the thieves are pretty cavalier to come back again and again.

They probably watch as she gets in her car to go to work or school. Who lives like that? Everyone? Everywhere. Of course not.

Lifestyle and percent of crime is a factor or folks would not bother to attain to live in areas of less crime.

Economy aside, as I have said before we have folks 'robbing-for-sport' at this point. And more and more teens are doing it. Is that happening EVERY where at the same frequency. NO.

NO!

Crime happens everywhere, Detroit, suburbs, ex-urbs and even the Amish community. So get used to it, folks While living in Detroit all my life. I have been bullied, sucker punched in the face, getting by behind whipped, house broken into, almost got stabbed and robbed by gunpoint twice in Detroit and suburbs. I wasn't that scarred I was waiting for them the throw the first punch. And if I've survive I will start fighting for life.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-19-13 at 04:34 AM.

It's crazy MM. A friend I know purchased a Chrysler 300, loaded. It was stolen within a week as well - right out of her driveway. Never to be seen again! With crime and theft as it is now you best not buy the theft - magnet cars. We keep having to adapt because the percentage and level of crime is so high and the theives are plying their trade with impunity. Like 'FOOL' you brought that car, I see it, I will take it.

Shameful, crabs-in-a-barrel, coveting, mentality. But I deal with it for what-it-is and try to conduct my life to avoid the draw, while I remain in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Music View Post
    A young friend bought a her first "nice" car last week, a 2011 Taurus, clean and loaded; she parked it in front of her downtown apartment building that evening, after bringing it home from the dealers.

When she went out at 6 am, it was gone. Talk about heartbreaking.

[[now of course, there's the matter of wisdom; not parking it in a "secure" lot, but I'm just sayin'....)
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-19-13 at 04:33 AM.

You get the best deals on easy-to-steal cars, though.

There must be a conspiracy there somewhere.

And word is the Amish seriously under-report their crime statistics.

NO!

don't be a fool. Sure, crime exists everywhere, but its much more rare once you're out of the city. I don't live that far out of Detroit and my house has never been broken into, my car has never been stolen or broken into. I even left my garage unlocked accidentally for two weeks straight, and nothing was stolen. I do live south of 696 and I've only heard of one break in around my house, and the person was caught and arrested that day. He was related to the homeowner. Take the blindfold off.

^^^ Fo' sure! With the high insurance rates canceling out said deal probably......

Policy rates on those Chrysler high profile cars has got to be SKY high!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast