Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Timelapse of a downtown renovation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs6t...layer_embedded

Address is Broadway and Grand River.

How long was it abandoned?

Classy - the anti Google/Quicken Loans office.

Nice video. Thank you for sharing!

How exactly to you renovate a building where nothing was there before?

Its a buildout!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    How exactly to you renovate a building where nothing was there before?

Its a buildout!
    What a poop!

This building is a two story adjunct to the Detroit Opera House Garage. The second floor has housed an architectural firm for the past several years while the first floor space has never been built out [[except, IIRC, for a pop-up bar during the Super Bowl) until LE&A took over the space last year.

This is a great idea. The lab on woodward next to Great Lakes Coffee has the same concept. I would love to see more empty storefronts transform into offices. I would suggest that Jefferson Villages empty storefronts would be excellent candidates. I would love to see a mixture of offices, restaurants, a coffee shop, and a Target or Walmart to anchor that strip mall

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This is a great idea. The lab on woodward next to Great Lakes Coffee has the same concept. I would love to see more empty storefronts transform into offices. I would suggest that Jefferson Villages empty storefronts would be excellent candidates. I would love to see a mixture of offices, restaurants, a coffee shop, and a Target or Walmart to anchor that strip mall
    Offices in store fronts do not generate the same level of street traffic than a traditional retail establishment would. If you get too much of this, then it really impacts a streets sense of livelyness.

Offices in store fronts do not generate the same level of street traffic than a traditional retail establishment would. If you get too much of this, then it really impacts a streets sense of livelyness.
    The thing is the space has sat empty until now. At least someone wanted to fill the space. If retailers were interested then they would have leased it a long time ago. For some reason retailers aren't interested in the ground floor of a parking garage. Just take a look at the garage adjacent to the Book-Cadillac and former Lafayette. Empty. Maybe Dan Gilberts Z-lot will fare better...

I agree. This space would have been a great spot for a restaurant. Constant traffic on that side would improve Broadway's appeal. Imagine outdoor seating in that corner near John R. Also, I critcized years ago that the side of the parking structure on Centre Street [[Milner Hotel side) should have accommodated ground floor retail. It will be another thirty years before the parking garage will be replaced with another structure. Maybe then those in charge will realize that retail on Centre Street would be a win-win. At any rate, better something there than nothing. Hey, just my two cents.

Not every empty storefront in Jefferson Village should be used as office space. Just only one or two. The rest should be retail and restaurants. I had said a while back that the storefront underneah the opera house parking should had been used for retail or a restaurant. I felt that an excercise apparel store would had worked out. A restaurant woud had been much better. AppleBees, Chi Chis, or Nikolas would had done well in that spot. There is still some unused space in the structure. Bing had done a terrible job attracting new Retail to the downtown area. Dan Gilbert has to twist arms to get Moosejaw to open on Woodward. Broadway is underutilize and come be as lively as Greektown if the right business would be allowed to open on the strip. Enough of the bars and nightclubs. Broadway and the rest of downtown need a daylife instead of more nightlife.

I just walked by there Friday. Looks like all the furniture is in place and just a couple of people inside doing the final tweeks. As for retail, I would prefer it. But something is better than nothing. It's all about supply and demand. L&E snatched it up and the offices on the perimeter looking out at ground level will be a bit of a novelty. For a PR company, this is probably a bit of the edginess they are trying to project. When retail demand exceeds available space, then some retailer can make L&E a better offer and move in. Until then, it's all good.

I see all of this celebratory talk regarding the movement of an office onto the first floor of a parking structure and it makes me quite sad. The previous structure which was ripped down not long ago for this one had a Drug Store, a Paint Store, and a health food store all that were removed prior to all of the new people coming downtown to work or to live.