Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rachel Maddow, Come to Detroit Petition!

Rachel Maddow from MSNBC talks about the city of Detroit and the state of Michigan so much on her show if you watch it on MSNBC. I am petitioning her to come do a live broadcast from Campus Martius Park this spring or summer to show.. A.) Detroit in a positive light and B.) She can get a better understanding of our history, issues and future.

Change.org petition http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...s-martius-park

Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Come-...17213051755113

Can't stand her. She has no ability to few both sides of an issue. Too far left for me.

On any given night, Maddow's nationwide audience is only slightly larger than the population of Detroit. Doing a more expensive remote broadcast from Detroit about Detroit is unlikely to boost her miniscule ratings, so what's in it for her? The only way you could possibly get it to happen would be if you threw some money her way to cover her added expenses. If she came here, then you and the rest of Maddow's far-left fans in Detroit would feel good about yourselves, but what would you have actually accomplished in the real world?

Of course she should come. Detroit's problems are the result of the liberal pro - Democrat governing and policies that she and her network espouses every night. She should do a week long stand there so she can give America a grand tour of the liberal progressive utopia that is Detroit.

we'll see what happens. more michigan coverage the better

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    we'll see what happens. more michigan coverage the better
    Agered, and ithe coverage is slowly picking up more steam too.

A Federal Lawsuit is apparently going to be filed too from what I'm hearing, so that should generate even more coverage.

The solutions to Detroit's fiscal dilemma will not be found in:
    a) more media attention
    b) more lawsuits
    c) more delays, studies, consultants, etc.
    d) more borrowing
    e) more funding from the state or federal government
    f) more traffic jams or acts of civil disobedience.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agered, and ithe coverage is slowly picking up more steam too.

A Federal Lawsuit is apparently going to be filed too from what I'm hearing, so that should generate even more coverage.
    Care to elaborate? Who is suing whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Not In MI View Post
    Of course she should come. Detroit's problems are the result of the liberal pro - Democrat governing and policies that she and her network espouses every night. She should do a week long stand there so she can give America a grand tour of the liberal progressive utopia that is Detroit.
    of course! Detroit is broken because of liberals in the same way that Alabama is full of incest and poor people because of republican! it all makes sense now! and did you know that leafs are green because their the trees' favorite color? seriously, please stop using this argument. It is one of the dumbest I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Care to elaborate? Who is suing whom?
    A federal lawsuit against the state of Michigan by citizens in Detroit.

It's going to be a lawsuit claiming that the state of Michigan is violating the civil rights voting act.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    of course! Detroit is broken because of liberals in the same way that Alabama is full of incest and poor people because of republican! it all makes sense now! and did you know that leafs are green because their the trees' favorite color? seriously, please stop using this argument. It is one of the dumbest I have ever heard.
    I always think the same thing. No one seems to "blame" San Francisco's prosperity on it's liberal policies. Or "blame" liberals for New England's high quality of life. Or "chastise" liberals for leading the city of Washington DC into a period of urban renewal. They only point to places like Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    I always think the same thing. No one seems to "blame" San Francisco's prosperity on it's liberal policies. Or "blame" liberals for New England's high quality of life. Or "chastise" liberals for leading the city of Washington DC into a period of urban renewal. They only point to places like Detroit.
    Although all three areas are very liberal politically, overall they have thrived by a good balance of support from the right and left. Both sides work together and guess what you get good results who would have "thunk" it! That type of cooperation has been lacking for quite some time here.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Although all three areas are very liberal politically, overall they have thrived by a good balance of support from the right and left. Both sides work together and guess what you get good results who would have "thunk" it! That type of cooperation has been lacking for quite some time here.
    You can argue that for New England, which is a region.

But the SF Board of Supervisors [[their city council) is all Democrats, and has been for a while. DC's city council has 11 Democrats and 2 liberal independents. DC's history is so partisan that they mandated that at least one council seat must be a non-Democrat [[hence the liberal independents). In terms of internal city politics, there is no cooperation in SF or DC because there's no Republicans to cooperate with...just like in Detroit.

I know you did not say this, but I think it's unfair to only blame liberals if there's less regional cooperation in Metro Detroit than elsewhere.

I just fact-checked myself...since it's been a while. One of DC's independents is a registered Republican. And he's openly gay. So they have one Republican to cooperate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    You can argue that for New England, which is a region.

But the SF Board of Supervisors [[their city council) is all Democrats, and has been for a while. DC's city council has 11 Democrats and 2 liberal independents. DC's history is so partisan that they mandated that at least one council seat must be a non-Democrat [[hence the liberal independents). In terms of internal city politics, there is no cooperation in SF or DC because there's no Republicans to cooperate with...just like in Detroit.

I know you did not say this, but I think it's unfair to only blame liberals if there's less regional cooperation in Metro Detroit than elsewhere.
    I was saying the region/city overall not just the politicos. All the above mentioned are good at bringing in those of different views together to get the job done. Something we seem to be incapable of here.

i must say that i am mostly liberal but not exclusive. that said, i love how conservatives like to accuse anything that helps people start throwing out, "liberals are ruining or have ruined our society".
    rachel maddow shows the facts and allows you to accept them or not. if you don't want to, then chose to follow your favorite demigod like glen beck, rush limbaugh, bill o'riley or the like. feeding hate and they are against us rhetoric does not help people, it only divides us.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Rachel Maddow from MSNBC talks about the city of Detroit and the state of Michigan so much on her show if you watch it on MSNBC. I am petitioning her to come do a live broadcast from Campus Martius Park this spring or summer to show.. A.) Detroit in a positive light and B.) She can get a better understanding of our history, issues and future.

Change.org petition http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...s-martius-park

Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Come-...17213051755113
    Wow French777, they got the knives out for you right away. You used to be so loved on DYes until you came out and said you watch Rachel Maddow. What some things will do to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    i must say that i am mostly liberal but not exclusive. that said, i love how conservatives like to accuse anything that helps people start throwing out, "liberals are ruining or have ruined our society".
    rachel maddow shows the facts and allows you to accept them or not. if you don't want to, then chose to follow your favorite demigod like glen beck, rush limbaugh, bill o'riley or the like. feeding hate and they are against us rhetoric does not help people, it only divides us.
    Ms. Maddow is simply the opposite side of the Limbaugh coin. If you can't stand Rush because of his ignorance, you really can't hold love for Rachel.

Both creatures are exclusionary with their facts. Picking only those facts which support their extremist viewpoints.

Their respective followers are to be pitied.

However, Rush does seem to have a sense of humor. Even if it is warped, he has one; Rachel, not so much.

Yep, regardless of how you feel about the way she presents stuff, no one can ever dispute her facts.

Yep, regardless of how you feel about the way she presents stuff, no one can ever dispute her facts.

Maddow's a Rhodes Scholar while Hannity is a high school graduate. That's all you need to know to see who has it more right than wrong.

Yes, I do watch MSNBC sometimes and support their views. Yet, if FoxNews Hannity wants to do a Live Show from Downtown, showcasing our positive development that is great news too, and should be encouraged. I think a healthy balance of conservative and liberal views is what's needed for any city. In a sense, I don't care if someone is liberal or conservative, just don't be apathetic and complain about the current situation if yourself have done nothing to help the situation.
    If each Detroit resident took 30 mins - 1 hour each weekend to help Detroit, just emagine what we could accomplish! Even if it is a simple, saying "hello" to visitors downtown, or in your neighborhood, or calling your local reps., or helping at a soup kitchen for 1 meal a month. We are a great city, yet can be so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Let's just say that Ms. Maddow is entitled to her own opinions, but it's been proven that they aren't always factual.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    In all fairness to Republicans, Alabama was run by Democrats for most of the last one hundred and forty years [[post reconstruction). Not that we should let facts get in the way of our fun. I do think it would be fair to say that a perfect shit storm of Bad management and Bad political decisions has brought us to where we stand today. Hardly anyone who has held office in Detroit, the surrounding burbs or Lansing escapes some blame.

Finger pointing and the blame game got Detroit into this mess. It needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post
    In all fairness to Republicans, Alabama was run by Democrats for most of the last one hundred and forty years [[post reconstruction). Not that we should let facts get in the way of our fun. I do think it would be fair to say that a perfect shit storm of Bad management and Bad political decisions has brought us to where we stand today. Hardly anyone who has held office in Detroit, the surrounding burbs or Lansing escapes some blame.

Finger pointing and the blame game got Detroit into this mess. It needs to stop.
    That was when Democrats were the conservative party.

The Republican party was formed after the previous liberal party split over the issue of slavery, and the Republicans, the more liberal part of that party, won. Part of the new party was called the "radical republicans" because of how far to the left they were.

Then there were changes within the parties during the 30s, and the Democratic party became the liberal party, and the Republicans the conservative one. Then over the years as the Democratic party embraced civil rights, white southerners left the part and joined the republicans, and the remaining "rockefeller republicans" from the north east generally became democrats.

So the south has pretty much always been conservative and the north has always been liberal.

But anyway, even though politicians and the government have a big influence on places, everyone agrees that Detroit has had bad leadership for a long time. You're not going to find many democrats who think the leadership in detroit is good or represents their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That was when Democrats were the conservative party.

The Republican party was formed after the previous liberal party split over the issue of slavery, and the Republicans, the more liberal part of that party, won. Part of the new party was called the "radical republicans" because of how far to the left they were.

Then there were changes within the parties during the 30s, and the Democratic party became the liberal party, and the Republicans the conservative one. Then over the years as the Democratic party embraced civil rights, white southerners left the part and joined the republicans, and the remaining "rockefeller republicans" from the north east generally became democrats.

So the south has pretty much always been conservative and the north has always been liberal.

But anyway, even though politicians and the government have a big influence on places, everyone agrees that Detroit has had bad leadership for a long time. You're not going to find many democrats who think the leadership in detroit is good or represents their beliefs.
    You do know I was poking fun at the blame this or that crowd. BTW: pretty much my mom's entire family [[they live in West Tennessee) switched parties in the late 70's early 80's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast