Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Building Location

Attached is a copy of a picture of a police officer directing traffic.
    Can anyone identify the building in the back ground?Name:  Check.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  33.3 KB

Well, there is a street sign on the street corner but can't make out the name. At first I thought it might be the building at the corner of State and shelby behing the Book Cadillac but the building behind the corner building isn't tall enough...

I have a couple of questions:

- where did the picture come from
    - are there larger versions available
    - what makes you think it is Detroit
    - could that be a State Trouper?

i have one observation:

- it appears that the first floor has been 'modernized' with the addition of enameled steel panels.

Dbob, I must be blind. Where's the street sign in the photo? I can't figure it out, but if someone can make out what the sign says over the corner entrance, that might provide a clue. Can't help but be amused that it almost looks like a present-day UPS truck at the intersection.

It is a Detroit Police Officer. They had those strange helmets during WW II as part of the air raid warden system.

I was thinking David Stott, but it has two lower floors of arched windows? Delivery truck in background & pavement markings have me wondering if it's a Detroit pic? Can't read the patch on Police Officers uniform to be sure?

Whatever building it is, it's definitely been demolished.

The age and size of the building narrows it down to a small geographic area, and there aren't any existing buildings in those areas that match it.

Looks like it says FURS over the door of the store. But I'm not coming up with a location yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It is a Detroit Police Officer. They had those strange helmets during WW II as part of the air raid warden system.
    hey Ray, is it true that all Detroit Traffic cops wore white caps and had to stand over six feet?

What's the officer doing with his right hand? Blowing a whistle or smoking a doobie?

Romper Room taught me there are good Do-bees and bad Don't-Bees. I believe the officer is a good Do-Bee.

Plus, if you've ever held a roach like that you'd burn your fingers.

Does it maybe say Fashion Furs? Searched that and came up with the Dittrich furs location.

In the 1940's, Dittrich would have been on Grand River Ave somewhere; it didn't move to it's 3rd St location until 1965. I can't find a street address on Grand River, but they moved in 65 because of freeway construction, so I'm guessing the Fisher displaced them

Dittrich was on Grand River right across from the Girl's Commercial High School which was all demolished for the extension of 375 from the Lodge to the Chrysler. Right at Grand River essentially in front of the Old Cass Tech bldg. Only the old Irish Protestant Church [[now IAM Temple) survives in that 2 block area.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    In the 1940's, Dittrich would have been on Grand River Ave somewhere; it didn't move to it's 3rd St location until 1965. I can't find a street address on Grand River, but they moved in 65 because of freeway construction, so I'm guessing the Fisher displaced them
    2341 Grand River

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Dittrich was on Grand River right across from the Girl's Commercial High School which was all demolished for the extension of 375 from the Lodge to the Chrysler. Right at Grand River essentially in front of the Old Cass Tech bldg. Only the old Irish Protestant Church [[now IAM Temple) survives in that 2 block area.
    That's not 375; that's the Fisher [[I75). I375 runs from where the Chrysler becomes the Fisher and then runs down to Jefferson.

It is definitely a Detroit picture. Detroit used that type of suspension mast on its traffic lights.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Romper Room taught me there are good Do-bees and bad Don't-Bees. I believe the officer is a good Do-Bee.
    are you sure he's not a Groobee?

Last edited by rb336; March-16-13 at 09:42 PM.

Detroit News
    No larger version available.
    Detroit Traffic Cop - confirmed

The helmet you see was being first tried out for officers that work traffic control; this picture is from the 1970's.

I have a hard time believing that photo is from the 70's. It almost looks like the first word in the sign says Huron or Union. I don't think the word Furs is part of it though.

Attachment 18638

From the delivery truck, to the guy in the pin stripe suit and the second floor window signage style it looks more like the 40's.

Before 1961, because the guy with the suit and catalog case is wearing a hat. JFK ended men's hat wearing and killed the hatters industry [[and union) by going hatless at his inauguration.

Yes, even if the guy was hanging on to the style he was used to, that truck is hanging on from the late 30s.
    The man's short jacket is indicative of wartime rationing requirements.
    July 1942

In the 1940s, war changes everything. The government restricts the use of wool, and single-breasted jackets and cuff- and pleat-free pants become the norm. Once the boys come home, big style roars back with wide lapels, spread collars, and roomy suits.
    http://www.esquire.com/style/style-evolution-0908#slide-6

The officer is wearing jodhpurs.
    The ladies on the corner are in postwar to mid-50s length clothing. They are wearing hats that seem to be from that era as well, little but not head shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Plus, if you've ever held a roach like that you'd burn your fingers.
    Maybe he had a roach clip...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast