Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Just who is Kevyn Orr?

Okay. Who has heard of Kevyn Orr before this week? He led Chrysler out of bankruptcy, we know this. Does he have any municipal experience? What is his knowledge of the history and politics here?

Most importantly, what will he do?

Well he already "resigned" and his law firm has some kind of contract with the Mayor's office. Nothing suspicious there. He will probably privatize everything but then again Detroit is broke so they can't keep going as is. Its not his fault.

He's a Democrat who worked on John Kerry's and Obama's campaign, so maybe we can start nixing all the conspiracy theories about how Snyder's trying to hand the city over to GOP massa's in Big House.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    He's a Democrat who worked on John Kerry's and Obama's campaign, so maybe we can start nixing all the conspiracy theories about how Snyder's trying to hand the city over to GOP massa's in Big House.
    It's still hard for me to work past the fact the citizens of Michigan voted to repeal this law and he just passes the same exact law again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    It's still hard for me to work past the fact the citizens of Michigan voted to repeal this law and he just passes the same exact law again.
    Doesn't the new law allow for a municipality to choose between an EFM, bankruptcy, mediation, or some other 4th choice? I'd say that alone makes the new version substantially different from the old law.

Doesn't the new law allow for a municipality to choose between an EFM, bankruptcy, mediation, or some other 4th choice? I'd say that alone makes the new version substantially different from the old law.
    EFMs appointed prior to March 28th are grandfathered into EMs with the same provisions as PA 4.

Well played by Snyder.

I don't think it matters what political party he is in. Snyder's whole advantage of appointing an emf as to handing the city off to a bankruptcy judge is that Snyder gets to appoint the emf. So it would only make sense that who ever Snyder picks would be either a puppet or someone who is willing to go along with anything Snyder says or wants.

Shollin Guest

So where was Detroit given this choice?

Well you said you were upset because Snyder passed the new law. But it sounds like it's not the new law you're upset about. It's that Snyder is putting this in under the deadline of the old law.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't city council allowed to expel the EFM after 18 months with 2/3 vote?

Detroit doesn't get this choice. Snyder appointed the EFM in advance of the change in the law to prevent Detroit from exercising that option. A reporter called him out at the presser today about the timing of the appointment but Snyder claimed the timing had nothing to do with it.

In the consent agreement it approved? Didnt the Council agree to this setup?
    Last edited by TexasT; March-14-13 at 10:14 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    In the consent agreement it approved? Didnt the Council agree to this setup?
    No. After Michigan voters repealed the law, Snyder immediately passed the same law with all cities who had a EFM grandfathered under the old law and any city appointed an EFM before March 27 would be under the old law. The consent agreement was void when Michigan voters repealed the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Detroit doesn't get this choice. Snyder appointed the EFM in advance of the change in the law to prevent Detroit from exercising that option. A reporter called him out at the presser today about the timing of the appointment but Snyder claimed the timing had nothing to do with it.
    Mr. Orr seemed very adamant that he would have this done in 18 months in the conference when asked about that. "I'm highly motivated. I'm all in. That's why I quit my job at my firm. If we work together we can get it done in less time."

I heard the press conference on radio. He was very impressive in his ease and command of speech. His resume and credentials are extensive and sparkling. He is UM grad and a Dem having worked with the Obama campaign and in voter protection activities.

He came of with an energetic, almost idealistic fervor as if he had been waiting all his life for a challenge like this, calling it the "Olympics of Restructuring" and saying "If we can do this I will have participated in one of the greatest turnarounds in the history of this country".

However we feel, he is here, he is in charge. Let's give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Mr. Orr seemed very adamant that he would have this done in 18 months in the conference when asked about that. "I'm highly motivated. I'm all in. That's why I quit my job at my firm. If we work together we can get it done in less time."

I heard the press conference on radio. He was very impressive in his ease and command of speech. His resume and credentials are extensive and sparkling. He is UM grad and a Dem having worked with the Obama campaign and in voter protection activities.

He came of with an energetic, almost idealistic fervor as if he had been waiting all his life for a challenge like this, calling it the "Olympics of Restructuring" and saying "If we can do this I will have participated in one of the greatest turnarounds in the history of this country".

However we feel, he is here, he is in charge. Let's give him a chance.
    Well said, Lowell. We shouldn't be prejuding this guy or the results. Let's give him a chance.

Certainly admirable on Snyder's part.

Give him a chance to do what? It's not as if he's going to be able to rebuild Detroit's tax base and until the city is growing, not shrinking, he's simply cutting off limbs to keep the patient alive until he leaves, to follow the surgery analogy he used yesterday. Even if he's allowed to rebuild city government from the ground up, which no one could do in 18 months, it doesn't change the reality that Detroit is too poor, too lacking in human capital and has massive legacy costs in areas like infrastructure that no bankruptcy can fix. No amount of right-sizing of city government can change those realities and it's going to take years of rebuilding city services to change that reality. Is he going to implement the Detroit Future City plans? Is that even within the mandate of his position? With Bing and City Council sidelined, my best guess is that DFC is sidelined with it and while Orr focuses on finances, any of the other major initiatives that need to happen that were outlined in DFC aren't going to happen to any appreciable degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Well said, Lowell. We shouldn't be prejuding this guy or the results. Let's give him a chance.
    It is amazing to me how people want to keep things just the way they are.

If this was industry, Kevyn Orr would be called "the axe man".

He's being paid to make decisions which will piss many, many people off, but which are necessary to the fiscal solvency, and long term health [[if there is one to be had) of the city.

He's got a very, very dirty job. Mike Rowe wouldn't touch this one with a 10 ft pole.

TUS

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    It is amazing to me how people want to keep things just the way they are.
    It is amazing to me how people believe what Snyder is saying. The argument is "well the EM is better than doing nothing"... but is it? Seriously, what evidence is there to suggest that the Emergency Manager will IMPROVE services? The Emergency Manager of DPS has only made the problems WORSE.

Washington and Wall Street insiders call Orr the ax man, butcher or undertaker for a reason. All the rhetoric about helping ordinary Detroiters is just that... rhetoric.

I don't trust anybody with a forced smile!!

"He's being paid to make decisions which will piss many, many people off, but which are necessary to the fiscal solvency, and long term health [[if there is one to be had) of the city."

The City of Detroit as an organization can be fiscally solvent and the City of Detroit as a place can be a hellhole at the same time. Don't confuse the two.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Washington and Wall Street insiders call Orr the ax man, butcher or undertaker for a reason. All the rhetoric about helping ordinary Detroiters is just that... rhetoric.
    Those darn democrats

A reporter called him out at the presser today about the timing of the appointment but Snyder claimed the timing had nothing to do with it.
    Oh, yes. The timing had NOTHING to do with the grandfathering in. *eyeroll*

Sneaky, sneaky Snyder

Well you said you were upset because Snyder passed the new law. But it sounds like it's not the new law you're upset about. It's that Snyder is putting this in under the deadline of the old law.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't city council allowed to expel the EFM after 18 months with 2/3 vote?
    Council cannot vote when eliminated......

Just another thought on this...

The EFM is ahead on one score. He has completely blown Kwame Kilpatrick off the front pages.

Poor Kwame must be pondering in his cell in Milan, "Hey, what about me?" I wonder which will be more of a downer to him - sitting in a cell or the loss of attention.

In that aspect the appointing of Mr. Orr could not have been timed better. Synder gets a two-fer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast