Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sanders Confectionary and Soda Fountain in Downtown Detroit

Sanders had the best hot fudge sundae in the world and it was made with real "hot" caramel, not "cold" chocolate syrup like all the rest.

Does anyone agree?

I stopped in for a treat every time I went downtown during the 50's, but can still taste it now though it is long "gone with the wind". Yummmmm!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samtrak View Post
    Sanders had the best hot fudge sundae in the world and it was made with real "hot" caramel, not "cold" chocolate syrup like all the rest.

Does anyone agree?

I stopped in for a treat every time I went downtown during the 50's, but can still taste it now though it is long "gone with the wind". Yummmmm!!!!
    There is one in Grosse Pointe. I hope that one would open again in downtown detroit

If you still live in the area , a factory outlet is in Eastpointe , and the main factory is in Clinton Township [[ Morley's own Sanders now ) You can also order online for you out of towners , some stores in the area also carry Sanders hot fudge
    http://www.sanderscandy.com/

Thank You. I will be visiting Detroit next month and hope to find a Sanders store that still serves the best hot fuge sundae in the world.

Sanders did disappear for a while, but now they are back. Not quite what they used to be though. I can remember the stores being much larger and having a lunch counter and those water-cups stuck in tin. The ice cream and toppings are the same though. Morely has done an outstanding job keeping the brand the same yet contemporary.

Growing up in the 50's & 60's there was a Sander's on E. Jefferson near Chalmers. My favorite was the Boston Cooler. I live in New Mexico now and a co-worker who is also a former Detroiter brought a Vernor's and some French Vanilla ice cream to work and we talked about everything we miss about Detroit while we enjoyed our Boston Coolers.

There is a Sanders at Twelve Oaks. I agree, the sundaes are amazing!

I recall a Sanders in Dearborn in that strip mall on Michigan Ave near Outer Drive. Ordered an egg salad sandwich there about 1986. Yeah, those paper cones in the tin cups were something else.

Sanders was a favorite place to go in my youth. I also liked the Hot Fudge Sundae at Senate Sweet Shop next to the old Senate Theatre on Michigan near Livernois. I was pretty little but I remember they gave you as many little paper cups full of hot fudge that you wanted to pour on your ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by samtrak View Post

Does anyone agree?

Did someone say Gone With The Wind?

Hate to say it, but I remember the one below Jefferson Ave on Woodward. Real close to the boat docks. Seems like yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    I recall a Sanders in Dearborn in that strip mall on Michigan Ave near Outer Drive. Ordered an egg salad sandwich there about 1986. Yeah, those paper cones in the tin cups were something else.
    Yes, yes, there was one there. A bulk food store is in it now. I think it was there into the early 90s.

One thing that Sanders had back then on a limited edition basis was Vernors flavored ice cream. Making an ice cream float with Vernors ice cream & Vernors pop was sooooo gooood.

The Sanders on Woodward had an upper and lower level. On the street level was the soda fountain counter and the baked goods store and the lower level was their cafeteria.

The Sanders factory outlet in Eastpointe is moving into larger space 13 & Harper in St. Clair Shores...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Growing up in the 50's & 60's there was a Sander's on E. Jefferson near Chalmers. My favorite was the Boston Cooler. I live in New Mexico now and a co-worker who is also a former Detroiter brought a Vernor's and some French Vanilla ice cream to work and we talked about everything we miss about Detroit while we enjoyed our Boston Coolers.
    Boston Coolers were competition for Sanders and not sold in their parlors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Boston Coolers were competition for Sanders and not sold in their parlors.
    Are you sure? I certainly can recall Sanders making a Vernor's Ice cream and having the ability to get floats at Sanders.

The Sanders downtown was a mecca, but the one i got to see the most was the one at Houston and Kelly in the strip mall behind the Civic Theater. It was a DetroitYes kind of strip mall with the stores fronting on Houston and the parking in the back. There was a Sanders, a Grinnells, a supermarket [[Wrigley's??), a Cunninghams, and a couple of other stores.

There is a "New Sanders" now in Rochester on Main Street. I stopped in when I was in SE Michigan last November and had a hot fudge sundae. It was good, but the "frou-frou" tea room chairs and tables just didn't have the look and feel of the old counters.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Are you sure? I certainly can recall Sanders making a Vernor's Ice cream and having the ability to get floats at Sanders.
    I have definitely had Boston Coolers at the Sanders on Woodward by Kresge's.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I have definitely had Boston Coolers at the Sanders on Woodward by Kresge's.
    While I never liked Boston Coolers [[I was a strawberry soda orderer at Sanders), I rememer my mother ordering Boston Coolers there. Boston Coolers and Root Beer Floats seemed to be popular menu items.

GUSHI Guest

A Boston Cooler is an Ice cream soda variant typically composed of Vernors and vanilla ice cream blended together similar to a milk shake, although in other parts of the country, different combinations of ingredients are also known as a Boston Cooler. The name remains a mystery[22][23] It appears to have no connection to Boston, Massachusetts, where the drink is unknown. One popular theory is that it is named after Detroit's Boston Boulevard, the main thoroughfare of the Boston-Edison Historic District, said to be, in such accounts, a fashionable neighborhood at the time located a short distance from James Vernor's drugstore.[24][25] Boston Boulevard, however, did not exist at the time. The streets and subdivision that became the Boston-Edison neighborhood, approximately five miles from Vernors' drugstore, were not platted nor incorporated into the city until 1891, and its first homes not constructed until 1905, nine years after Vernor closed his drugstore.[26]
    [edit]

Default New and old pics

Old Sanders location.
    Name:  images-2.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  9.6 KB
    This is the Birmingham store today.
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  10.2 KB