Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Metro Detroit now smaller than Phoenix?

Despite a marginal population increase of 0.1% -- an estimated 4,094 people -- metro Detroit continues to drop in rank among the nation's most populous areas.

The region dropped from the 13th to 14th in population rankings from 2011 and 2012, according to census data released today. In 2010, metro Detroit ranked 12th. Phoenix's metro area, with an estimated 4,329,534 residents, surpassed metro Detroit, which now stands at 4,292,060. New York, Los Angeles and Chicago continue to have the largest metropolitan areas with population sizes of 19.8 million, 13 million and 9.5 million, respectively.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...t-census-finds

Once the nation's fourth largest metropolitan area, will the Detroit area remain in the top 15 by the next census?

Interestingly enough, I keep hearing how "huge" Detroit proper is. It's 140 square miles, give or take. My hometown of Houston is 627 square miles and keeps expanding. I grew up in The Woodlands, 30 miles north of Houston and there's been talk of annexation. Can you imagine Detroit annexing Ann Arbor, spreading out that far?

It's the same in metro areas. Detroit's MSA is under 4000 square miles. Phoenix's is 16,573 square miles.

Just something to take into account as some of these cities keep adding population.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Once the nation's fourth largest metropolitan area, will the Detroit area remain in the top 15 by the next census?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    It's all Detroit's fault. If Detroit were to suddenly fall into a giant sinkhole, metro Detroit would once again be a prosperous, desirable place to live.

Texas, when you're talking metropolitan area population annexation does not mean much. Yes it can mean major changes in how local government is structured, but people are attracted to a region for jobs.

We are still suffering from a huge out-migration of people who are in their working years, a good portion of which are in the prime child rearing age. This means in many places deaths are outpacing births. This won't turn around until we have a major job generator to replace the 400k manufacturing jobs plus spin off jobs we lost between 2003-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's all Detroit's fault. If Detroit were to suddenly fall into a giant sinkhole, metro Detroit would once again be a prosperous, desirable place to live.
    Finally, someone gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Finally, someone gets it!
    So if all Detroiters were to walk to the river and throw themselves in, that would be good for the region?

So if all Detroiters were to walk to the river and throw themselves in, that would be good for the region?
    Learn to recognize sarcasm - but if you want to go first and see what happens....

Texas' main point was that the physical area of the metro area is 4x larger for Phoenix. In 2010, Metro Phoenix had a density of 252.9 /sq. mi. whereas Metro Detroit's was 1,097.9/sq. mi.

It still looks bad to fall another place...but whatever. It will be a while until #15 catches us. Metro Seattle is still about 800,000 fewer people.

What is the population and rank of Detroit City?

Who cares? Phoenix is a hell hole

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Who cares? Phoenix is a hell hole
    So is Detroit.

But at least the government in Phoenix isn't incompetent to the point where it can't provide basic services adequately.

Learn to recognize sarcasm - but if you want to go first and see what happens....
    I'm not really sure you're being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So is Detroit.

But at least the government in Phoenix isn't incompetent to the point where it can't provide basic services adequately.
    yeah, they are only going to experience perpetual water shortages, it is # 10 and rising on the list of dangerous cities, top 25 for metro areas, has one of the highest levels of citizen complaints against its police department in the country

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    yeah, they are only going to experience perpetual water shortages, it is # 10 and rising on the list of dangerous cities, top 25 for metro areas, has one of the highest levels of citizen complaints against its police department in the country
    Phoenix is a hell hole.

Add repeatedly unexpected electricity and gasoline shortages to the water shortages.

Their government is incompetent, although maybe in different ways. Embarrassingly notorious nutcases such as Joe Arpaio, Evan Mecham and Jan Brewer arose out of Arizona politics.

The bottom line is simply that a desert environment is not a wise place to choose for sustained human habitation. That's pretty much just common sense.

There are many factors in judging a city's merits. Population is just one.

I'm not really sure you're being sarcastic.
    Sounds like a comprehension problem. I can't help you with that.

Sounds like a comprehension problem. I can't help you with that.
    No, it's more based on your other posts. I really do think you wouldn't mind if the people of Detroit were to commit mass suicide. So, it's more of a credibility problem, for you.

And I'm afraid can't help you with that.

No, it's more based on your other posts. I really do think you wouldn't mind if the people of Detroit were to commit mass suicide. So, it's more of a credibility problem, for you.

And I'm afraid can't help you with that.

Nonsense ,but thanks for the armchair psychiatry. Having lost a loved one to suicide, that's hardly the course I would recommend [[see this is sarcasm)
    You didn't pick up on the sarcasm, I apologize if it was too vague for you.

As for credibility, you're hardly one to talk with as many empty threats I have read from you about having had enough and leaving the city, never mind the automatic accusation of "racist" that tend to apply to anyone who chooses to live outside the city.

But hey, I have no credibility with you, so why do you care what I think?

No, but a very, very persuasive Marcus Garvey would be a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hermod, I already made Detroit instantly a better place the second I departed. Black Detroit population is now -1, including my vote! But wait, an entire family of my cousins moved to Arizona, so that's -4. The first of our kin moved around 1915, and with the exception of one uncle, our family did not make 100 years in the city of Detroit.

Not sure what else you want us to do... we get it, we know, you want us gone! We are leaving... yes, I know, you wanted us gone like 40-50 years ago, but mobility = money + education in the postmodern era. It took us a while. Cut us a break.

While I don't think those of us who are native-born Black Detroiters will exactly walk into the river anytime soon, as the jobs dry up, people will be forced to migrate elsewhere to find employment. I held on as long as I could, and now have a Grand Scheme to spend 1/3 of the year, starting in 2014, working in the D. But most of those who leave will be gone, and their kids will know nothing of the city by the straits, save for perhaps a vague affection for Tigers baseball.

But I'm not sure that folks back home should care about metro population size. I'm in a bigger metro now, and as they say more people, "mo' money, mo' problems." The difference is that the problems here don't really get the national attention that problems in Detroit receive.

Quote Originally Posted by samtrak View Post
    What is the population and rank of Detroit City?
    Detroit's population is 713,000 and ranks as the 18th largest city in the US. Just thirty years ago it was the 5th largest city in the US. Detroit was the second largest city in the Midwest behind Chicago. Now, it has fallen behind Indianapolis and Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Begs the question: whose existence has been most detrimental to Detroit? Poor violent blacks or old racist whites?

"Now, it has fallen behind Indianapolis and Columbus."

True but keep in mind that Columbus is still growing into adjacent counties by annexing large parts of its suburban growth. Indianapolis is a consolidated city-county. Detroit has done neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "Now, it has fallen behind Indianapolis and Columbus."

True but keep in mind that Columbus is still growing into adjacent counties by annexing large parts of its suburban growth. Indianapolis is a consolidated city-county. Detroit has done neither.
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the reply.

Geeze... people reading this drivel again... if you take the size of some of these vast areas for some metro areas... you can add Port Huron/Sarnia, And all of Windsor's Essex County and Toledo & environs into the mix... that gives you at least another 2 million... on top of this count here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

PA is 90 minutes away from NYC... if you account for everywhere within 90 minutes of Detroit... you include all of the Toledo area and large parts of Canada, which somehow never count on USA stats... but do on world Stats.

Lists... a waste of even discussing them... my 2 favorites...
    1) Higgins Lake is the 6th most beautiful in the world.
    2) the number of the being among the 6 largest cathedrals in the world in Europe numbers at least 20.

Why waste our time on regurgitating this same old stuff every year...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    PA is 90 minutes away from NYC... if you account for everywhere within 90 minutes of Detroit... you include all of the Toledo area and large parts of Canada, which somehow never count on USA stats... but do on world Stats.
    IMO that would be an even sillier way to do it. Cities aren't the same size, and don't have the same size commuting belt.
    I mean, I could say Lansing is bigger than Detroit, because using your methodology, there are more people with a 90 minute drive.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast