Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kwame Kenyatta calls for insurrection/revolt against EFM

"Councilman Kwame Kenyatta and a packed room of Detroiters warned today of an impending revolt against state intervention, urging residents to stock up on canned food and supplies.

“Even the Bloods in the hood fight for their territory,” Kenyatta said during a 20-minute monologue on the civil rights struggle at today’s city council meeting. “You are going to have to drag me out of here for me to leave."

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/03/13/detroiters-pledge-uprising-during-state-takeover-make-sure-you-are-prepared-and-you-will-survive/

I thought the rhetoric could sink no further. JoAnne? Are you going to let him out do you with the crazy?

Why isn't there a facepalm gif to use on here? :/

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...-will-survive/

I thought the rhetoric could sink no further. JoAnne? Are you going to let him out do you with the crazy?
    I thought their were laws against inciting riots? Oh, I'm sorry, must only apply to white people.

Can you use this?

Attachment 18604

And people wonder why this city is in the mess its in with nitwits like this clown running things.

LOL. Funny question. Councilwoman Watson's public reaction when the EM is actually appointed will be epic. The invocation of the civil rights struggle, Martin Luther King, slavery and plantations will only be the start. Blame will of course be slathered around to a vast array of outsiders. Expect some "ya'lls boy-like" soundbites.

Just don't expect any solutions to the financial emergency.

Kenyatta needs to be put in the crazy ward.

Geeze... they're talking about "manning the barricades" like in Les Miserables... except that with all the wasteland of the neighborhoods of Detroit... the very low density of Detroit just doesn't cut it for barricades, as compared to the narrow medieval streets of early 19th century Paris.

They could make a Detroit version of Les Mis and call it Mo' Miserables... and Kenyatta and Watson can play Monsieur and Madame Thénardiers... the comical Inn keepers of the Broadway show version...
    Last edited by Gistok; March-13-13 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Kenyatta needs to be put in the crazy ward.
    He's already in it, its called the Detroit City Council Chamber.
    Last edited by dtrrman; March-13-13 at 04:11 PM.

I just don't understand how people, even the most naive, can continue to refute the facts and believe what Kwame and Watson are spewing as facts. Where do these people come from? It's like this is the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Can you use this?

Attachment 18604
    Perfect Hermod, thank you.

Same ones who would lift the big thug on a sedan chair, cart him down to city hall and drop him right back into the mayors throne if he walked out of prison right now.

There is nothing in that article that says ARMED insurrection. One might try to gather that from what was said, but there is nothing that directly calls for arming or violence.

However as to...
    “You are going to have to drag me out of here for me to leave."
    WHATEVER

Maybe y'all will get the National Guard, that is frequently mentioned on the board, after all.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to hear the underlying tone of Kenyattas rant.

Kenyatta is doing the equivalent of yelling "fire" in a movie theater. He is doing his best to incite a riot. Detroiters are already living in a war zone so there is nothing new with the threats of violence. Who is it going to be aimed at is the question and I say... themselves, because they will burn down their own neighborhoods, their stores, barber shops, churches, and do whatever they can to make Snyder back down. Snyder won't back down and Kenyatta and Watson are liable to have their asses thrown out of City hall for good if they are not careful.

Intelligent people want to come in to Detroit and help get it back on it's feet, but the racist clowncil insists that it's whitey coming to steal their "jewels"; it's whitey taking their voting rights away. They haven't been able to solve their problems for years, so what makes them think they can do it now?

The idiotic mentality of people like Watson, Kenyatta, and others amazes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    There is nothing in that article that says ARMED insurrection. One might try to gather that from what was said, but there is nothing that directly calls for arming or violence.

However as to...

WHATEVER

Maybe y'all will get the National Guard, that is frequently mentioned on the board, after all.
    The quote "Even the Bloods in the hood fight for their territory" does seem to indicate that he is inciting the use of violence [[e.g., armed violence).

In an interview with WDET, on right now, he clearly backs away from any talk of armed resistance or violence. He is clearly talking about obstructive actions but he is very careful not to mention anything about arming or violence. I think he smart enough to know better than that.

I agree with Lowell. Kenyatta may be an Afro-centrist, but he's no tiara wearin a-hole. He's actually been the calmest voice of reason during several out of hand discussions involving thrown insults and "onward Christian soldiers.." He genuinely cares about the community, and here in Corktown, had a representative at almost every single Resident's Council meeting we had. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm not about to jump on the "burn him at the stake" bandwagon just because it's easy to put incendiary words in the guys mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrrman View Post
    I thought their were laws against inciting riots? Oh, I'm sorry, must only apply to white people.

It is legal to say, "We should burn down City Hall."

It is illegal to say, "We should burn down City Hall at 2 p.m. tomorrow."

Furthermore, to say that the man should be hauled away in chains for speaking his mind strikes me as a bit of crypto-racism. If Ted Nugent can stand in front of a crowd that's toting rifles and shout, "We need to ride onto that battlefield and chop their heads off in November," then I think it's fair to way white people are afforded the same rights as Mr. Kenyatta.

Oh, and don't say I played the race card. YOU played the race card. [[See above.)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It is legal to say, "We should burn down City Hall."

It is illegal to say, "We should burn down City Hall at 2 p.m. tomorrow."

Furthermore, to say that the man should be hauled away in chains for speaking his mind strikes me as a bit of crypto-racism. If Ted Nugent can stand in front of a crowd that's toting rifles and shout, "We need to ride onto that battlefield and chop their heads off in November," then I think it's fair to way white people are afforded the same rights as Mr. Kenyatta.

Oh, and don't say I played the race card. YOU played the race card. [[See above.)
    However, ole Uncle Ted did get a visit from the secret service for some of his rants. Will we see anything similar for Kwame?

He is clearly talking about obstructive actions but he is very careful not to mention anything about arming or violence. I think he smart enough to know better than that.
    He's desperately walking it back because he smart enough to know he crossed a line and it was witnessed.

I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm not about to jump on the "burn him at the stake" bandwagon just because it's easy to put incendiary words in the guys mouth.
    Directly quoting someone is not putting words in their mouth.
    Last edited by bailey; March-13-13 at 05:13 PM.

it is legal to say, "We should burn down City Hall."

Really? And if somebody says that and it happens you have incited a riot.

"We should burn down City Hall at 2 p.m. tomorrow."

Really? And if somebody says that and it happens you have incited a riot.

Anybody can say anything they want, what happens after determines whether its legal of not.

Oh, and don't say I played the race card.

Never said you did but coming from a city whose leadership has played em' by the deck not by the card for 50 years, thats almost a backhanded compliment.

However, ole Uncle Ted did get a visit from the secret service for some of his rants. Will we see anything similar for Kwame?
    The Secret Service does tend to be a bit overzealous about protecting the president.

If I could know the truth at all, I'd bet that a fair amount of the people outraged by and demanding punishment for Kenyatta's rhetorical flourishes are some of the same people who tittered when L. Brooks Patterson said, "I'd rather own a 1947 Buick than own Barbara-Rose Collins."

Tee-hee. Oh, that Brooksie! Slavery is so funny!

Quote Originally Posted by dtrrman View Post
    Anybody can say anything they want, what happens after determines whether its legal of not.
    Mr. dtrrman, here is a dime. Take it, call your mother, and tell her there is serious doubt about you ever becoming a lawyer.

Directly quoting someone is not putting words in their mouth.
    Really? I didn't read anything quoted from the guy sating that he planned to lead some armed rebellion or burn the city down. All I heard was him make some ponderous juxtaposition regarding gang politics and canned foods. Noting the controversial nature of the EFM, and the old school civil rights culture that these older cats come from, how is anyone surprised at the language that is being thrown around?

Mr. dtrrman, here is a dime. Take it, call your mother, and tell her there is serious doubt about you ever becoming a lawyer.

I'll tell you what, keep the dime, call the local comedy castle and tell someone there that there is serious doubt about you becoming a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I agree with Lowell. Kenyatta may be an Afro-centrist, but he's no tiara wearin a-hole. He's actually been the calmest voice of reason during several out of hand discussions involving thrown insults and "onward Christian soldiers.." He genuinely cares about the community, and here in Corktown, had a representative at almost every single Resident's Council meeting we had. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm not about to jump on the "burn him at the stake" bandwagon just because it's easy to put incendiary words in the guys mouth.
    I agree. While I disagree with him on many things, Kenyatta has often been a voice of some reason on a City Council that has had almost none of them, and has generally shown himself to be intelligent and actually caring at some level about city residents. Like Gwenivere said, he's been one of the very few Councilmembers to actually involve himself in local affairs and support local efforts over here on the east side. He has attended meetings or sent representatives to do so, and mostly made positive contributions. And over here even the better neighborhoods are pretty much completely ignored by the Council.

Having said that though, his reported statements, even if they don't rise to the level of calling for armed insurrection, seem irresponsible and needlessly incendiary. I don't think even for a second that he should be punished for speaking, but I do hope he is backing off of those words, because it was a pretty damn stupid thing to say. While I understand the emotional reaction, uneasiness, and fear brought on by the takeover from Lansing, it seems unavoidable at this point. I don't think it serves anyone's interests now to start whipping things up further and bringing up even hints of that kind of trouble. We need to fight to move forward now, and not keep bogging down in this kind of mud.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-13-13 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast