Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    m b v Guest

Default Somerset Collection's reign in jeopardy?

My parents and friends who still live in the B'ham area avoid it like the plague, citing the clientele has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high. Hyde Park in Birmingham is full, Capital Grille is not. Nordstrom expanded a few years ago into Novi, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Saks or Neiman move into Novi’s JC Penny, since JCP seems to be on the road to bankruptcy. You have Rochester area residents handling a lot of shopping at the Village, and Partridge Creek for Clinton Twp folks. Gilbert seems pretty fixated on a retail hub downtown Detroit. All shopping centers have a life cycle, and a demographic shift and options closer to home can certainly exacerbate that normal decline.

On the flip side, perhaps something can be done to reverse the decline?
    Last edited by m b v; March-13-13 at 03:10 PM.

Is it me, or are the threads getting weirder and weirder?

We have a million threads on a supposed Detroit boom, one on a Birmingham bust, one on Pontiac being ideal for the wealthy, and now one claiming Somerset is going bust.

In the real world, Somerset has never been stronger. There are barely any vacancies, and there's even a wait list for retailers to get in the mall.

Some of the newest stores at Somerset are Giorgio Armani [[the highest end Armani line), Emporio Armani, Hugo Boss, Herve Leger and Maxmara. Saks had a significant expansion [[added a floor) relatively recently.

Somerset has the best shopping between NYC and Chicago, and is the dominant retail center for hundreds of miles. It basically eviscerated downtown Birmingham retail, killed Oakland Mall, and stands untouched.

I'm getting whiplash. Somebody please tell the truth.

Shollin Guest

How can Somerset be dead on arrival when it arrived quite some time ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm getting whiplash. Somebody please tell the truth.
    I'd say it lies somewhere in between. That said,for a region that is supposedly in decline and for a mall that is supposedly struggling.... on Saturday when I went there, I counted 30 cars in the very full parking lot between where I parked my car and the door that retail around [[and above)100k.

Every time I go there, it takes me 15 minutes to find a parking space. The place has never been more popular.

its always packed and im still bombarded with pretentiousness when i walk in the door. its doing fine.

You sound as if you are a child who got a hold of your parents computer. Where are your facts?

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    My parents and friends who still live in the B'ham area avoid it like the plague, citing the clientele has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high. Hyde Park in Birmingham is full, Capital Grille is not. Nordstrom expanded a few years ago into Novi, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Saks or Neiman move into Novi’s JC Penny, since JCP seems to be on the road to bankruptcy. You have Rochester area residents handling a lot of shopping at the Village, and Partridge Creek for Clinton Twp folks. Gilbert seems pretty fixated on a retail hub downtown Detroit. All shopping centers have a life cycle, and a demographic shift and options closer to home can certainly exacerbate that normal decline.

I'm confused, trying to read between the lines. Is the OP saying that there are too many black people at Somerset?

I'm confused, trying to read between the lines. Is the OP saying that there are too many black people at Somerset?
    Bingo! Time to move... Didn't you hear? Its the new Northland/Fairlane/Eastland!

Haha. This should be good.

the clientele has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years.
    Be direct. What are you trying to say?

Crime seems very high.
    Crime "seems" very high based on what?

Possibly not Blacks that they are referring to, but another ethnicity?
    You don't need to be WASP to be rich anymore.

I have to agree. This thread is not only subjective, but just weird and strangely written.

I just went there for the first time this past Saturday and it was absolutely packed. It took twenty damned minutes to get out of the parking garage. It reminds me a lot of the Galleria back home in Houston.

I was actually surprised at how diverse the clientele was - but I considered it a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strohs Brewery View Post
    Every time I go there, it takes me 15 minutes to find a parking space. The place has never been more popular.
    Yep, it's annoying going to the Apple store there.

MBV, what in God's name are you talking about?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Somerset has the best shopping between NYC and Chicago, and is the dominant retail center for hundreds of miles. It basically eviscerated downtown Birmingham retail, killed Oakland Mall, and stands untouched.
    I'm sure Toronto begs to differ.

Come on, stop trying to make Somerset sound like more than what it is. It's the largest concentration of upscale shopping in Metro Detroit and that's about it. There is nothing extraordinary about Somerset when you compare it to the type of shopping centers you can find in regions of comparable size to Detroit. If anything, Metro Detroit is quite lacking for shopping by that measure.

Somerset? Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

I get affluenza whenever I go there. I like Value World better especially during the 1/2 off coupon week.

Dead on Arrival? Hasn't been there since the late 60's/early 70's?...I never go on the weekend because it gets crowded. One thing is that 12 Oaks is giving Somerset a run for its money. I wouldn't be surprised if more higher end stores open there like Barney's

The high end malls like Somerset and 12 Oaks are doing just fine. It's all the other malls and big box retail that is struggling. The concept of shopping is radically changing with the advent of the internet and online sales continue to soar taking down brick and mortar stores who are often little more than touch and feel showcases for products that customers order online.

With smart phones, it is a simple matter to scan the bar code, search for prices and even order from another seller - all while standing inside the hapless retailer's store that he/she is spending money to heat and store the items.

There is still a diminishing market for those just like to shop and have the hands-on gratification of trying out and carrying away the product. People still like to get out. Restaurants, OTH, are not hurt by the web and do well - who's going to go to scan a menu for a better deal and wait?

M V B - FYI, DOA = Dead On Arrival.

If you intend to be provocative it is best to learn what terms mean before you use them.

Aok?

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." Yogi Berra

Somerset isn't going anywhere soon. If anything it is becoming mote successful by catering to a more diverse clientele. It's not a mall just for the rich. And all the other malls are dying besides 12 Oaks, which will only boost Somerset as a destination.

I also dont think real life shopping is going anywhere. People still want to try on cloths and see them up close. I browse for cloths online before I shop but do the buying in real stores. It saves time and eliminates wasted trips.

I also predict Downtown Detroit shopping with make a big comeback. Not on the scale of Somerset, but at least comparable to Royal Oak and Birmingham and perhaps much bigger.

I don't relate to Gucci and Louis Vuitton, what other kinds of stores do they have at Somerset or is that it?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast