Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Motown: The Musical

Motown: The Musical is now in Previews at a Broadway theater in New York City. The current price is from $55 to $155 per ticket, would you pay that price to see it? What are your feelings about Berry Gordy?

I wouldn't go if the tickets were free [[assuming Gordy gets some loot out of this ) I hear he's a cheapskate

I'm hooked up for this, likely. Know an old Motowner who went off to work on this...have been hearing about it for almost a year. They were working on the orchestrations last year in Vegas', if I remember correctly...it is a huge production.

I'll not shut Gordy out for past deeds, there is still some chance he'll take care of the rest of the surviving folks who made his life possible. It'd be nice to have a foundation supporting the Detroit Historical Musicians Association, at least...those studio dudes who cannot even use the old nickname The Funk Brothers, due to copyright restrictions after the documentary. Maybe something bigger that carries on the hopes of Blair's family after he passed too young, that no Detroit musician/poet/thespian would suffer from lack of healthcare and other professional and legal help.

Default Why the hate for Berry?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I wouldn't go if the tickets were free [[assuming Gordy gets some loot out of this ) I hear he's a cheapskate
    I don't understand the hate for Berry. He was no different than other company owners....does anybody know about Tommy Mottola and Clive Davis? Same thing....and did you see the movie about Franky Lyman....his recording company stole his songs and took his royalties....OH I get it -- he was BLACK....he had a company to run and he put the profits back into the business....but nobody mentions that the ARTISTS blew their money...and that Berry tried to tell them to save their money and be conservative with their spending, but most of them snorted their money away. I see that Smokey, Stevie and Even Diana are millionaires. Who do you think they thank for that?

I'm kinda miffed about the Chrysler commercial. It took me by surprise that the Chrysler 300 can magically transport you from West Grand Boulevard to Broadway in NYC in under 30 seconds. Very confusing. Would have been nice if he/they brought the production to the Fox first instead. Then again, maybe they will....... someday.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Would have been nice if he/they brought the production to the Fox first instead. Then again, maybe they will....... someday.
    It's funny how evryone is a "Detroit supporter" until it comes down to $$$. Then it's every man for himself.

Looks like they are off to a big start - Motown: The Musical' sales top $1M for first week of previews

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2NvFfTFAI

The architects of the theatre also designed the Merrill Fountain in Palmer Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunt-Fontanne_Theatre
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Merrill%20Fountain.html