Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Name of the Top EM Candidate Has Been Leaked

His name is Kevyn Orr. He's a partner at Jones DAys law firm and he is relatively local [[from the same Alma Mater as our Governor as well).

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

It's also a funny coincidence that this information was leaked the same day Bing announced the city will approve contract with this same law firm [[despite the fact that the city is also in a contract with Miller Canfield).

http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArt...20130212092231

So yeah, the bullshit already stinks.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-12-13 at 08:25 AM.

I think the opposite, 313.

We need someone from the outside, with no involvement in city/county/state politics. All of the good firms here [[Miller Canfield, Honigman, Bodman, Dickinson, Clark Hill, etc.) have had contracts with the city or its departments, have people that used to work there or with the main players involved in the city, and so on.

Not a big Jones Day fan, because they treat their associates like crap, but it is a high-quality firm with talented people and no real affiliation with this region's historical mismanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    His name is Kevyn Orr. He's a partner at Jones DAys law firm and he is relatively local [[from the same Alma Mater as our Governor as well).

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

It's also a funny coincidence that this information was leaked the same day Bing announced the city will approve contract with this same law firm [[despite the fact that the city is also in a contract with Miller Canfield).

http://www.americanlawyer.com/PubArt...20130212092231

So yeah, the bullshit already stinks.
    Other than the fact that he went to UM, how is he "relatively local" - hasn't he been out in DC for quite a while? Is he from Detroit? Does he have family here?

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...ager-kevyn-orr

The sources, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity surrounding Detroit’s fiscal crisis, said Snyder and Detroit Mayor Dave Bing have discussed the city’s challenges with Orr. Bing and Snyder met with privately with Orr late last month in Washington, D.C., where Snyder had been attending a National Governors Association meeting.
    Bing is such a twofaced cocksucker.

Damn, he's a brother too !! Wonder what "Her Highness" Joann Watson has to say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Other than the fact that he went to UM, how is he "relatively local" - hasn't he been out in DC for quite a while? Is he from Detroit? Does he have family here?
    Why on earth does being 'local' in any way matter at all. I just don't see 'locality' as even a minor factor that matters -- yet it seems to be a big concern? Why? Is there a corelation between locality and success in EMs?

Local seems like a code-word for 'someone who knows how we do things' -- exactly what we don't need. This isn't homeopathy.

Based on what I've read, I think this man has potential. I have had mixed feelings about an EFM. But personally, I have decided to give it a chance to see how it works out. Do I like that a governor-appointed position can override elected officials? No. But I acknowledge that going a single direction is better than going 10 directions, as the council+mayor seem to go most of the time. Many judges are appointed, and we trust that they will act fairly...so I will believe that an EFM will act fairly as well. Plus, Snyder and the State of Michigan [[and the state Republicans, specifically) have a lot to lose if this goes badly. So I think they will do their best to have a favorable outcome. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Why on earth does being 'local' in any way matter at all. I just don't see 'locality' as even a minor factor that matters -- yet it seems to be a big concern? Why? Is there a corelation between locality and success in EMs?

Local seems like a code-word for 'someone who knows how we do things' -- exactly what we don't need. This isn't homeopathy.
    Because someone with local ties might be more likely to have some compassion for the people who will be affected by Detroit's financial reorganization than just a pure number cruncher.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Because someone with local ties might be more likely to have some compassion for the people who will be affected by Detroit's financial reorganization than just a pure number cruncher.
    Mother Teresa wasn't compassionate? Kwame is?

I don't see the connection between local and compassionate.

I hope they pick someone with a compassion for the tax paying Detroiters.

Mother Teresa wasn't compassionate? Kwame is?

I don't see the connection between local and compassionate.
    I don't know if you're intentionally acting dense or if you just truly don't get it.

He sounds like an Expert to me. Somebody that knows what the locals know but he's from outta-town.

People are lining up on both sides and the guy hasn't even been chosen yet, let alone made a decision. Yeah, this should be easy.

Don't ask me - I'd prefer someone non-local that is still familiar somehow with Detroit [[which is exactly what this guy sounds like). The OP seemed to be complaining that he's too local - I just don't know what's local about him, other than UM. I went to UVA - there's no part of me that can be considered a DC insider for that!

I would prefer some familiarity with Detroit, its history, and its people. That's just something to take in context and part of making an informed decision as to how to best proceed in our city and ensuring it is as smooth of a process as possible. Being a local or native isn't important to me [[not being either is a plus in my opinion), but familiarity is somewhat of a factor.
    Last edited by TexasT; March-12-13 at 11:13 AM.

I don't know if you're intentionally acting dense or if you just truly don't get it.
    No, I don't get it. Why would local be more compassionate? How does knowing a community help be compassionate? I really don't see why someone from elsewhere is likely to be any less compassionate [[or any less human in other ways) than someone from here.

Further, it seems like screening out 99% of the candidates in the country can only reduce the chances of finding someone right for the position -- with the most compassion possible.

Or, on the flip side, you can have someone who simply just wants to sock it to Detroiters, not actually resolve the city's problem [[I.E. John Engler).

Or, on the flip side, you can have someone who simply just wants to sock it to Detroiters, not actually resolve the city's problem [[I.E. John Engler).
    I.E. - Kwame.

I.E. - Granholm.

Seems to me the Detroiter's have done a good enough job socking it to themselves that to worry about outsiders socking it to them wouldn't be much of a worry.

Actually, Engler would be a good example of my point. He was someone with hardly no ties to the Detroit area that was put into a position of direct authority over the area. Would Engler have been so nonchalant about killing off DARTA had he been from the Metro area?

Actually, Engler would be a good example of my point. He was someone with hardly no ties to the Detroit area that was put into a position of direct authority over the area. Would Engler have been so nonchalant about killing off DARTA had he been from the Metro area?
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Engler was born and raised in Michigan, even if not directly tied to Detroit proper.

But his hate for the city was pretty clear through his policies [[none of which were positive), and I think it does represent how most people in Michigan would react to Detroit.

It seems to me Detroit's Hall Of Shame is lined with "locaL" poster children who took the residents for a ride, lined their own pockets, and split. @ the risk of creating another "It's not a business, it's a government" thread, someone with an objective viewpoint needs to come in, look @ the operation, and do what's necessary to streamline it, and make it run efficiently. Too many years have gone by with the City carrying deadwood, because "it's Tommy's cousin, and we CAN'T fire him!" This is one of the reasons Detroit is in the shape it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It seems to me Detroit's Hall Of Shame is lined with "locaL" poster children who took the residents for a ride, lined their own pockets, and split. @ the risk of creating another "It's not a business, it's a government" thread, someone with an objective viewpoint needs to come in, look @ the operation, and do what's necessary to streamline it, and make it run efficiently. Too many years have gone by with the City carrying deadwood, because "it's Tommy's cousin, and we CAN'T fire him!" This is one of the reasons Detroit is in the shape it's in.
    I don't disagree, and am not even saying that I personally think the person who is chosen needs to be a local. What I AM saying is that I can see why much consideration is being given to whether that person has local ties. If a person is brought in who is even perceived as insensitive to the effects of what his or her actions will cause then you will have a revolt.

I don't disagree, and am not even saying that I personally think the person who is chosen needs to be a local. What I AM saying is that I can see why much consideration is being given to whether that person has local ties. If a person is brought in who is even perceived as insensitive to the effects of what his or her actions will cause then you will have a revolt.
    A revolt? By whom? Jo Anne Watson and some grape throwers?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    A revolt? By whom? Jo Anne Watson and some grape throwers?
    Really, are these serious questions? You don't think there will be a pissed off city garbage man or two after he realizes his pension is getting slashed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast