Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default More closings in Birmingham

Is this due to other cities taking their business or something else? Any insiders with some info

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...of-its-tenants

Stop your schadenfreude trolling. Rents are now so high in Birmingham that many otherwise successful businesses can't afford to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Stop your schadenfreude trolling. Rents are now so high in Birmingham that many otherwise successful businesses can't afford to be there.
    No, it's actually true; it's a total bloodbath in Birmingham.

My street is littered with firebombed carcasses, Maple Road has become a nonstop killing field, and Quarton Lake mansions, now filled with hobos and squatters, are being given away for free.

The wealthy and trendy have long since decamped for Highland Park, Brightmoor, and River Rouge, and the city is a virtual wasteland.

This has been going on for a while. You might call it bistro-fatigue. Forte led the way last year, closing after even a reconceptualization.

If a place is fun, approachable, lively, casual and quirky, and serves food that doesn't have a lot of intimidating French names [[or, for that matter, anything that smacks of excessive cost) on it, it still might do well. Toast does very well there.

That said, it's always difficult to make a restaurant work in such territory, given the prices per foot it all leases for there. There's less of a premium on real estate on the other side of Woodward, though. Forest Grill does pretty well over there.

That's too bad, Barrio was pretty good. I think the underlying problem is it's simply a pretty big space - the only way you could call it a bistro is that they laid out the tables far apart so there weren't that many seats. If you're paying taxes on square footage, you need to keep that place *packed* to turn a profit.

They should subdivide that place, and the old Arhaus space - I think property taxes are just too high to support anything other than a big chain taking up that much space.

Maybe they could try a wig & nail shop?

So Downtown Birmingham is dying! What the city council and its business commerce are going to do? Kick out of the those who wear gang colors, homeless folks with shopping carts, DEAD [[c) KRAK HEADS, squatters ect...

So far I don't see Downtown Birmingham dying. Just rich folks increasing rent to lure inverstors and build more superlofts and fancy coffee shops. That would lure hip cool black lining glasses, skinny pants and jeaned out of college hipter kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Pretty sad that an honest question elicits such responses.
    It elicited such responses becuase it was an ignorant premise.

Businesses open and close in all communities and for all types of reasons; your questions were obvious attempts at baiting.

But maybe I should expect no less, given that there's probably now a 5000-comment thread on a new downtown 7-11.

Shollin Guest

They're moving to Detroit to be next to all of the creative energy and for the better of the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Businesses open and close in all communities; your questions were obvious attempts at baiting.
    No they weren't but project whatever you want. If the local papers felt the need to write an article I figured there was more to it than the usual churn so I asked a simple question. I have no doubt that the residential areas of Birmingham are doing just fine as are most QOL topics [[safety, schools, etc). This was a simple question about business.

It seems that RO went through a similar cycle years ago. Sorry about my curiosity about your neck of the woods due to an article in the local paper.

The irony is that you are the first person to knock other communities but a simple question results in your incorrect assumptions and smart ass comments.

Businesses open and close in all communities and for all types of reasons; your questions were obvious attempts at baiting.

But maybe I should expect no less, given that there's probably now a 5000-comment thread on a new downtown 7-11.

I don't believe I commented on the 7-11 thread so that point is completely irrelevant. Contrary to what you seem to believe I have little to no interest in the 7-11 thread as it is a relatively insignificant thing as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    They're moving to Detroit to be next to all of the creative energy and for the better of the region.
    I assumed they would be moving to Warren because there is no other destination that would make more sense for a business.

It seems that RO went through a similar cycle years ago. Sorry about my curiosity about your neck of the woods due to an article in the local paper.
    I don't know what specific time period you're referring to for Royal Oak, but I don't recall Birmingham ever having fewer vacancies than now.

The specific block [[the Palladium building) has never been super-successful, though. It replaced the former Crowleys department store with a multiplex theater and big-box retail. The big box retail has never worked, because there isn't much retail in that part of downtown, and what exists certainly isn't big-box.

The most successful retail in Birmingham is generally small scale, independent, and on Maple west of Old Woodward. Generally speaking, Maple is a much better location than Woodward for retail, while restaurants have generally done best on side streets.

In any case, I bet you that Palladium building won't work unless they convert to smaller spaces, or maybe do something radical, like convert to office. Big-box retail doesn't work in any downtown area in Michigan.

I will say that many city resident don't like the way downtown is trending. The area used to be very neighborhood/local oriented, and now seems to be filled with tons of flashy nonresidents. Contrary to popular opinion, most locals are just normal people living normal lives, but the downtown streets are increasingly filled with Kim Kardashian lookalikes, d-bags hanging out all night, people flaunting sportscars, and the like. We've even had multiple shootings in two supposedly upscale "clubs" [[both since shut down).

Birmingham tends to be kind of WASPy and plain, and would rather be Greenwich, CT than Beverly Hills, CA, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-11-13 at 12:23 PM.

There's also too many bistro's! Most of them are very expensive for the middle class. Rich folks are interested throwing their birthday parties for their spoiled children. Even so with corporate parties and charitable events. Let's tell those rich landlords to bring in the clothiers, dollar stores and toy and gift shops.

Downtown Birmingham have those mom and pop stores along Old Woodward St. and Maple Rd since the late 1800s to the 1950s now their almost all gone. It's time to make Downtown Birmingham shopping available for middle class not to rich folks.
    The way of fewer bistros’s closed nest to Palladium Theater Complex. Downtown Birmingham is a small piece of suburban blight in the corner.
    Last edited by Danny; March-11-13 at 01:04 PM.

I don't know what specific time period you're referring to for Royal Oak, but I don't recall Birmingham ever having fewer vacancies than now.

The specific block [[the Palladium building) has never been super-successful, though. It replaced the former Crowleys department store with a multiplex theater and big-box retail. The big box retail has never worked, because there isn't much retail in that part of downtown, and what exists certainly isn't big-box.

The most successful retail in Birmingham is generally small scale, independent, and on Maple west of Old Woodward. Generally speaking, Maple is a much better location than Woodward for retail, while restaurants have generally done best on side streets.

In any case, I bet you that Palladium building won't work unless they convert to smaller spaces, or maybe do something radical, like convert to office. Big-box retail doesn't work in any downtown area in Michigan.
    Thank you for the informative reply. This helps put the story in context and makes a lot of sense. What I was thinking in respect to RO was [[I'm guessing) about 5 years ago when it seemed a lot of the retail got displaced and ultimately replaced with restaurants/bars.

if memory serves some of the retail moved but stayed in the general downtown RO area or adjoining streets.

Shollin Guest

I assumed they would be moving to Warren because there is no other destination that would make more sense for a business.
    Warren isn't relevant because they aren't getting international attention for being bankrupt. Birmingham isn't relevant either because everyone confuses it with Birmingham Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's timeto make Downtown Birmingham shopping available for middle class not to richfolks.
    I would love for "normal" stores to replace the useless junk. We have an olive oil store, a toy store selling purple things, two pet accesesory boutiques, a Venezuelan summer dress store, and a "limited edition" designer sneaker store.

Warren isn't relevant because they aren't getting international attention for being bankrupt.
    Among a myriad of other reasons.

I would love for "normal" stores to replace the useless junk. We have an olive oil store, a toy store selling purple things, two pet accesesory boutiques, a Venezuelan summer dress store, and a "limited edition" designer sneaker store.
    Are the spaces that small that allows them to be that niche or are the owners just not willing to expand their offerings? Seems like an olive oil store could include coffees, spices, unique sauces, etc. probably the same captive audience that would get other things in the same trip.

Are the spaces that small that allows them to be that niche or are the owners just not willing to expand their offerings? Seems like an olive oil store could include coffees, spices, unique sauces, etc. probably the same captive audience that would get other things in the same trip.
    Some of these "niche" stores aren't really profit-oriented. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but I know two owners of "niche" boutiques, and they're both spouses of very successful professionals.

This sounds horrible and sexist, but they're both basically a way to "keep the wife busy". I would be really surprised if some of these stores turn a profit.

Warren isn't relevant because they aren't getting international attention for being bankrupt. Birmingham isn't relevant either because everyone confuses it with Birmingham Alabama.
    Warren isn't relevant because if it were bankrupt no one would care.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    There's also toomany bistro's! Most of them are very expensive for the middle class. Rich folksare interested throwing their birthday parties for their spoiled children. Evenso with corporate parties and charitable events. Let's tell those richlandlords to bring in the clothiers, dollar stores and toy and gift shops.

Downtown Birmingham have those mom and pop stores along Old Woodward St. andMaple Rd since the late 1800s to the 1950s now their almost all gone. It's timeto make Downtown Birmingham shopping available for middle class not to richfolks.
    The way of fewer bistros’s closed nest to Palladium Theater Complex. DowntownBirmingham is a small piece of suburban blight in the corner.
    Danny not all rich kids are spoiled although you seem very delusional about perpetuating that myth. I am guessing you have never owned commercial property? What is the problem for getting a good return on your investment? So landlords are supposed to just make their properties available for free? Last time I checked this was still a market economy[[for the most part) and as such the owner of the property is free to charge what the market will bare.
    As for Downtown B'ham for the 50ish years I have been alive the area has always upscale shopping, the small upscale shops started moving out in the 1980's and were replaced by those who could afford the rents. The same thing that is happening now, just the market shaking itself out. Many of those from the 1980's moved to Royal Oak fueling that area's growth.
    I have worked retail on and off for many years and what works best is low end or high end. The middle never makes a dollar.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-11-13 at 12:40 PM.

These large nightclubs/restaurants don't necessarily make enough money to justify the enormous rents that are being charged for these spaces. Plus, some of them are lower-level/basement that aren't visible from the street.

The Palledium block has all sorts of issues and a stigma attached that does not necessarily draw in the demographics that live in Birmngham/Bloomfield.

Those spaces are huge, and while they may do well on weekends, they are not pulling in the crowds the other 4-5 nights a week to cover the huge overhead costs.

Zazios is reopening this spring with a new name, owner, and format.
    The property of Max & Ermas is reopening in a new steakhouse format [[as if B'ham needs another steakhouse, but the demand is there and it makes money).

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    Zazios is reopening this spring with a new name, owner, and format.
    That place was really expensive and bad, IMO. Glad to hear it's being replaced.

Does the same go for office space? Seems like there is a ton of "for lease"/available signs all over newly constructed office space.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast