Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Has anyone been to Sleeping Bear Dunes?

If anyone has ever vacationed there, I'd appreciate some tips on where to stay, etc. I'm planning to take the kids in June. I've been looking at the websites and it is so beautiful, I'm beyond excited. Can't believe I've been in Michigan 40 years and never went!

What kind of accommodations? Hotel, motel, campground? Cabin? Might be a little pricey, but this is a great place: http://www.thehomesteadresort.com/
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-09-13 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks, gazhekwe. I've noticed there's the resort, which seems to have lodging around the lake, and then there's hotels that say Traverse City but promote SBD as a place to see while you're there? Is SBD near Traverse City? I'm confused about the best place to stay, if I should go for the resort right at the place, or a hotel just near it and then visit there. I'd like a beautiful view of the place from my room, I know that for sure. That place has rooms with a view, looks really good.

FWIW, today on the radio I heard that Sleeping Bear Dunes [[as well as other national parks) is worried about the funding cuts from the recent sequester. I didn't hear any specifics though.

Traverse City is about 30 miles from parts of Sleeping Bear. The thing I like about Homestead is you can get a place with two bedrooms and a kitchen, so you don't have to eat out all the time. That saves some money and is convenient. Sleeping Bear actually runs maybe 40 miles along the coast, between the lake and M-22, and Homestead is right in the middle.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-09-13 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    FWIW, today on the radio I heard that Sleeping Bear Dunes [[as well as other national parks) is worried about the funding cuts from the recent sequester. I didn't hear any specifics though.
    That's interesting. I notice on their website they say that if the recent healthcare changes affect the benefits they have to pay their staff, that they reserve to right to raise the rates of all booked and unbooked reservations to compensate. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I mean, I understand, but its kind of rude to say it, lol. Especially raising the rates of the ones that already booked!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Traverse City is about 30 miles from parts of Sleeping Bear. The thing I like about Homestead is you can get a place with two bedrooms and a kitchen, so you don't have to eat out all the time. That saves some money and is convenient. Sleeping Bear actually runs maybe 40 miles along the coast, between the lake and M-22, and Homestead is right in the middle.
    Okay, I think I'm going to go with Homestead. It looks really good and I like the location, even though I don't swim, I like the idea of being right on the water so I can look out over it. I was reading Trip Advisor and people recommended you bring food and try to cook in your room at least some of the time to save money, and only eat out for a special treat.

That's what I particularly like, plus a separate bedroom for the kids. Breakfast and coffee in pjs, truly a vacation luxury

Beautiful Michigan destination. One word of advice: don't rely on your GPS to find the dunes, it will take you to a visitor's center no where near the dunes. Once there the rangers will hand you a slip of paper that tells you how to get to the actual dunes.

Fun little side trip is the Platte River to the south. They have a canoe rental and I highly recommend it.

Thanks you guys! I booked a room with a really nice view of the water, for late June. The prices started climbing and then doubling the farther I got into the Summer!

Excellent tip about the GPS, 56packman! I will definitely have to remember that one!

I appreciate all of the tips!

Word of advice... pay attention to the signs... do not attempt to go down the taller dunes [[400ft) down to the water, and then go back up to the top. Going down is easy... but in going back up... it's like taking a climb twice the height.. since ever 2 steps forward you take... the dunes themselves will take you back 1 step. A very very gruelling and exhausting ascent.

Even if you make the mistake of not heeding this advice... when you get to the bottom... there is no beach of sorts to walk along.... the steep angle of the dunes continues on into the water unabated without any shelf of sand to walk along.

In 88 i drove across the state with pickup camper it was early April
    no one but the locales, no crowds, no cops and no fees at the parks
    and camp grounds. Spring came early that year.
    One stop was the dunes I arrived in the dark and stayed in the lot overnight.
    At daybreak i saw the dunes for first time it was right there i could not see it that night. I took my boat and hit many inland lakes.
    Just me and my dog max.