Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Midtown vs. Cass Corridor

Since it was such a lively topic on another thread, it deserves its own.

Some people resist the "Midtown" rebranding. Others embrace it. The reasons vary.

Discuss.

Cass Corridor is a district within Midtown, Period. Just like Greektown via Downtown..

That works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Cass Corridor is a district within Midtown, Period.

Will you guys please cooperate with me and start arguing?

Actually, Midtown is just a PC rebranding of the Cass Coridor, since most old skool Detroiters associated that with Skid's Row [[which it was in the 1970s-1990s).

The name "Midtown" didn't even exist as recently as the 1990s. It was simply the Cass Corridor.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-09-13 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Cass Corridor is a district within Midtown, Period. Just like Greektown via Downtown..
    This. Just like "Lakeview" in Chicago includes Boystown, Wrigleyville, etc., "Midtown" in Detroit includes the Cass Corridor, Brush Park, etc.

No need for folks to argue about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    This. Just like "Lakeview" in Chicago includes Boystown, Wrigleyville, etc., "Midtown" in Detroit includes the Cass Corridor, Brush Park, etc.

No need for folks to argue about it.
    Thank you, when I tell people that visit me, I say, "I live in Midtown/DMC area now, before I lived in Midtown/Cass Corridor area". They understand it, it helps with direction and certain type of area you're in.

I lived on the Cass Corridor, for three years in the late1960s. It was a great place to learn about diversity, art and music. It was also an introduction to the need for quick wits and street smarts.
    Midtown seems a bit more gentle and softened, to me, and not as diverse, economically.

Actually the name Midtown goes back to the early 80's. It was used among some WSU and CCS students and folk relating to business near campus, we all called the are Midtown. I worked for a company in the Belcrest Apartment Bld that has "Midtown" as part of their name.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The name "Midtown" didn't even exist as recently as the 1990s. It was simply the Cass Corridor.

Midtown is a part of town like downtown is, Cass Corridor is just a sub section of Midtown plain and simple.

'sUOTE=313WX;371197]Actually, Midtown is just a PC rebranding of the Cass Coridor, since most old skool Detroiters associated that with Skid's Row [[which it was in the 1970s-1990s).

The name "Midtown" didn't even exist as recently as the 1990s. It was simply the Cass Corridor.[/QUOTE]

I thought the term "Cass Corridor" came from some urban renewal report in the late 1950's/early 1960's when there was a move to bulldoze most of the area akin to the "skid row" project.

Is any of the New Center area considered Midtown?

Nope New Center is it's own thing.

CASS CORRIDOR. I will never call where I live Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Nope New Center is it's own thing.
    Actually Midtown came about by a merger of New Center CC and UCCA.
    http://midtowndetroitinc.org/about-m...inc/who-we-are

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    'sUOTE=313WX;371197]Actually, Midtown is just a PC rebranding of the Cass Coridor, since most old skool Detroiters associated that with Skid's Row [[which it was in the 1970s-1990s).

I thought the term "Cass Corridor" came from some urban renewal report in the late 1950's/early 1960's when there was a move to bulldoze most of the area akin to the "skid row" project.[/QUOTE]

True, granted the way I remember the story going is that they had bulldozed the original Skid's Row along Michigan Avenue [[near Tiger Stadium) and those folks migrated to the CAss Corridor.

It actually goes back to John DeLorean's 1979 book On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors, where Businessweek writer J. Patrick Wright [[originally the ghostwriter and then listed as sole author after DeLorean disavowed the content to market a second autobiography) referenced General Motors' headquarters in "midtown" Detroit [[no doubt because his audience would understand the term as applied to New York).

The author is still in Grosse Pointe doing PR work, so if you're really curious, you could just pick up the phone.

HB

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Actually the name Midtown goes back to the early 80's. It was used among some WSU and CCS students and folk relating to business near campus, we all called the are Midtown. I worked for a company in the Belcrest Apartment Bld that has "Midtown" as part of their name.

It's still the Cass Corridor to me.

That's right. I recall the name Midtown back that far but not sure - good detective work HB!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    It actually goes back to John DeLorean's 1979 book On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors, where Businessweek writer J. Patrick Wright [[originally the ghostwriter and then listed as sole author after DeLorean disavowed the content to market a second autobiography) referenced General Motors' headquarters in "midtown" Detroit [[no doubt because his audience would understand the term as applied to New York).
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-10-13 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    It's still the Cass Corridor to me.
    It'll always be the Cultural Center to me.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-10-13 at 07:54 PM.

Scholarly question. Does anybody know when the private claims were extended back another mile or two?

100% always Cass Corridor. History is important.

The Cass Corridor can't be Midtown, because it isn't. Midtown has to be at least as far north as New Center.

100% Cass Corridor here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    100% always Cass Corridor. History is important.

The Cass Corridor can't be Midtown, because it isn't. Midtown has to be at least as far north as New Center.

100% Cass Corridor here.
    New Center has been the name of the Fisher/GM area since 1920... and it seems so it shall remain.

If you want to call 1/4 of Midtown by its' previous name that's fine... but the other 3/4 of Midtown have never been nor ever will be Cass Corridor.... unless you have troubles with maps...

I remember attending a meeting at Mario's discussing the new branding in 1999. I don't know what groups were involved but I remember the real estate investors were at the table - Renaissance Investments, Bob Slattery, Joel Landy. The Canfield Lofts were finished that year I believe - one of the loft renovations in the area.

I wasn't a fan of the re-branding at the time. "Midtown" seems to fit the neighborhood now which seems to have and serve people with a higher median income. "Cass Corridor" could have a variety of meanings. I don't know if any are relevant today.

I can see the rationale behind the re-branding of a neighborhood from a real estate sales perspective, but from cultural/artistic perspective, the old name serves that area better. "Cass Corridor" is just more hip than "Midtown". Just like the failed re-branding of New York's "Hell's Kitchen" into "Clinton"... it never caught on. Now, even the realtors call it by the original name.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast