Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Drunken Irish Invade! Men in Skirts Defile Sacred Ground! Priest Behind Bars!

Just to make sure almost everyone is offended enough to read this thread.

St. Patty's Day Parade is tomorrow, March 10, 2013. 2 pm Michigan ave Corktown.

everyone welcome. British too.

I'm so offended, too offended. It's a kilt not a skirt. Where is a moderator, where is a lawyer? I'm suing, I'M SUING. Oh, I'm so offended.

*falls to the ground like a church lady passing out in church*

People have the right to wear any clothing that represents their culture. Even kilts. What's wrong of wearing a skirt-like dress in public. I have seen a young boys wearing dresses in school.

I say skirts are great, unless they start drooping the waistbands down too far.

what's a good place to get something to eat nearby during the parade?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I say skirts are great, unless they start drooping the waistbands down too far.
    You really DON'T see any Scotch/Irish plumbers, do ya?

That really is a frightening visual.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ... St. Patty's Day Parade is tomorrow, March 10, 2013. 2 pm Michigan ave Corktown.
    Wait.

Does this count as a programming note written in the allegedly objectionable programming-note style declaration which, for anyone who has any interest in such things, seemed needless?
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-09-13 at 11:31 PM.

Does mcshane's bar have good food? what are the top 3 items?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    You really DON'T see any Scotch/Irish plumbers, do ya?

That really is a frightening visual.
    Hey, wait a minute. As a plumber, I find that offensive.

see you there.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; March-10-13 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Hey, wait a minute. As a plumber, I find that offensive.

see you there.
    heh...not nearly as offensive as when folks have to see butt-crack uninvited!

Looking at the weather report...now I'll have to hear all day about 'God loving the Irish', when indeed it is more like He enjoys watching drunken cavorting ushering in Springtime properly. He just put the Irish in charge of the assembly for the day.

Cheers! I'll be somewhere near the Marathon station, as long as I can stand on this leg. Took a spill last night at CAID, and bruised the end of my thigh bone above the knee. Makes for a grand excuse to abuse some pain abatements...I feel like Nancy Kerrigan after the thwack.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    People have the right to wear any clothing that represents their culture. Even kilts....
    I recently zoomed into Seattle for the first time with Google Maps. At random I landed in front of Utilikilts. What are the odds? I had no idea there existed a market for such things.

Seattle's a nice looking city, BTW. Wander around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I recently zoomed into Seattle for the first time with Google Maps. At random I landed in front of Utilikilts. What are the odds? I had no idea there existed a market for such things.

Seattle's a nice looking city, BTW. Wander around a bit.

Thanks for the laffs Jimaz!

I guess all the humidity and walking up and down them hilly streets calls for ventilated nether garments for us boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Does mcshane's bar have good food? what are the top 3 items?
    Yes it does. I recall the french onion soup being great.

Why have the parade a week early? Is this a Detroit tradition in the vein of having fireworks on a Tuesday night in June?

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Why have the parade a week early? Is this a Detroit tradition in the vein of having fireworks on a Tuesday night in June?
    The parade is always the Sunday before St Patrick's Day, supposedly to allow the pubs an additional day of revenue.

As far as the fireworks go, it's an American-Canadian joint, celebrating the "Freedom Festival" between the two countries. Canada celebrates "Canada Day" on July 1st, America celebrates "Independance Day" on July 4th. The fireworks are on a compromised date between the two Holidays.

http://www.answers.com/topic/interna...eedom-festival

We did the same in Chicago. The week before is the South Side parade. The next weekend, the one closer to actual St Pattys, is the downtown celebration.

I think you Midwesterners just really, REALLY like St. Patrick's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I think you Midwesterners just really, REALLY like St. Patrick's Day.
    I think Midwesterners really, REALLY like to get drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I think Midwesterners really, REALLY like to get drunk.
    That's probably a bit more accurate and why I fit in here a little bit better than back down south.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    As far as the fireworks go, it's an American-Canadian joint, celebrating the "Freedom Festival" between the two countries. Canada celebrates "Canada Day" on July 1st, America celebrates "Independance Day" on July 4th. The fireworks are on a compromised date between the two Holidays.

http://www.answers.com/topic/interna...eedom-festival
    That was true when it was the International Freedom Festival. But that event is no longer held.

Now we have the Detroit Riverfront Days in the later part of June, and the Parade Company piggybacks the annual fireworks event on the Monday following the close of that event, usually the 4th Monday of June.
    http://detroitriverfront.org/riverdays/
    http://www.theparade.org/index2.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    That was true when it was the International Freedom Festival. But that event is no longer held.

Now we have the Detroit Riverfront Days in the later part of June, and the Parade Company piggybacks the annual fireworks event on the Monday following the close of that event, usually the 4th Monday of June.
    http://detroitriverfront.org/riverdays/
    http://www.theparade.org/index2.php
    "The forth Monday of June?" I guess the OP has a point then. My mistake. Thanx.