Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Woodward Gardens Apartment and Theater Project Soars in Midtown [Pics]

The Woodward Gardens Project which will fill out a booming block in Midtown has become noticeably prominent.

The one hundred year-old, 1300 seat, C. Howard Crane Garden Theater is revealing hints of of its former glory. Its dour gray paint has been sandblasted away revealing a terra cotta brick face and elegant appointments.

What? That's crazy! Why aren't they building this out in Warren where they just lost 300 jobs!

In fill development in Detroit. There is still hope.

Gentrification @ BEST. People better wake up, this is real. People got a confused look, like "Why are they moving to Detroit?" You will see in a few years, don't be left out.

great update lowell! cant wait to see more spinoff from this block.

When they finish the theatre will they still call it the Sassy Cat peep show?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    great update lowell! cant wait to see more spinoff from this block.
    Whatever happen to the "Woodward & Willis" Loft Building planned next to Mcdonalds? This block will be nice once everything is finished. I'm assuming this will be done by summer?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Gentrification @ BEST. People better wake up, this is real. People got a confused look, like "Why are they moving to Detroit?" You will see in a few years, don't be left out.
    +1 Moving to LP next week!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by syrett4 View Post
    +1 Moving to LP next week!!!!
    ok, i'm not sure what LP indicates

Nice, Lowell. just drove by it a few days ago

this theater will be for stage plays? other events?

when will the apartments be done? how big will they be?

LP = Lafayette Park?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    LP = Lafayette Park?
    Nope Lincoln Park!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Nope Lincoln Park!
    In Chicago? That is exciting!

Seriously, welcome to LP [[Lafayette Park - Detroit). However the "+1" of you moving in is likely neutralized by the "-1" of the person moving out which allows you to move in. Maybe they moved to LP, Chicago.

With the vast majority of Detroit's theatre's gone or boarded up... it's always nice to see one come back to life... gives new hope for the National and United Artists...

Fuck a Midtown, it's the Corridor to me and always will be.

^^^ Hah! Yeah, well whatever you want to call it, IT'S an improving, evolving area!

I'm glad to live not too far as it helps improve my quality of life in Detroit as well.

WRONG. Who is being displaced by this development?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Fuck a Midtown, it's the Corridor to me and always will be.
    Why anone would name an entire huge section of the city after a small 2 lane roadway... when the city's main 7 lane thoroughfare is just a block away... would have to be stoned....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Why anone would name an entire huge section of the city after a small 2 lane roadway... when the city's main 7 lane thoroughfare is just a block away... would have to be stoned....
    It's not named after the avenue, Gistok. The name comes from the large parcel of land between Third and Cass, north from Michigan avenue, an original ribbon farm owned by territorial governor and presidential candidate Lewis Cass. That parcel now comprises more than 50 city blocks.

Cass Corridor is an actual historical name that has boundaries and a certain character. It has a charm -- a grimy charm, I grant you -- and a storied history indeed.

Midtown was invented to supersede "Cass Corridor" because of the unfavorable connotations it had developed over the years. But what are the borders of Midtown? What is the historical underpinning of calling it Midtown? It's really just a marketing tool.

Somebody joked to me once: "Midtown? Oh, yeah, when something is developed, when somebody invests money, when anybody opens a business, then that, too, gets called Midtown. When somebody is killed or a building burns down, that is called Cass Corridor."

It has the ring of truth to it. We should be at least squeamish about adopting neighborhood names that aren't rooted in history and have no boundaries.

Look up "neighborhood names" and "gentrification" on Google and you'll turn up some other interesting discussions on the topic.

http://brooklynbased.net/email/2012/...-williamsburg/

Anyway, it's a lively debate -- one that's taking place not just here. Perhaps it deserves its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's not named after the avenue, Gistok. The name comes from the large parcel of land between Third and Cass, north from Michigan avenue, an original ribbon farm owned by territorial governor and presidential candidate Lewis Cass. That parcel now comprises more than 50 city blocks.

Cass Corridor is an actual historical name that has boundaries and a certain character. It has a charm -- a grimy charm, I grant you -- and a storied history indeed.

Midtown was invented to supersede "Cass Corridor" because of the unfavorable connotations it had developed over the years. But what are the borders of Midtown? What is the historical underpinning of calling it Midtown? It's really just a marketing tool.

Somebody joked to me once: "Midtown? Oh, yeah, when something is developed, when somebody invests money, when anybody opens a business, then that, too, gets called Midtown. When somebody is killed or a building burns down, that is called Cass Corridor."

It has the ring of truth to it. We should be at least squeamish about adopting neighborhood names that aren't rooted in history and have no boundaries.

Look up "neighborhood names" and "gentrification" on Google and you'll turn up some other interesting discussions on the topic.

http://brooklynbased.net/email/2012/...-williamsburg/

Anyway, it's a lively debate -- one that's taking place not just here. Perhaps it deserves its own thread.
    So East English Village isn't a real neighborhood? Because it's not rooted in history, it was created out of thin air by residents in the early 90's to give the neighborhood a brand so they could better market their homes. But nearly 25 years later no one thinks about that, in the minds of Detroiters it's no less legit than Corktown.

As Midtown's boundaries I've always seen it defined as everything bounded by 75, 94 and the Lodge.
    Last edited by MSUguy; March-08-13 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    So East English Village isn't a real neighborhood? Because it's not rooted in history, it was created out thin air by residents in the early 90's to give neighborhood a brand to they could better market their homes. But nearly 25 years later no one thinks about that, in the minds of Detroiters it's no less legit than Corktown.

As Midtown's boundaries I've always seen it defined as everything bounded by 75, 94 and the Lodge.
    Like I said, it's a lively debate. Maybe it deserves its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    WRONG. Who is being displaced by this development?
    I'm the only black man in my apartment building here in Midtown, do I have to say who else live in this building [[Whites and foreigners)? All I see is white people [[Nothings wrong with it), even it all the businesses in Midtown have mostly white people patronizing and working there. Rent constantly going up every year, I wont be able to afford it in coming years. Will have to look north of New Center soon..

No, actually Cass Corridor is only about 15-25% of Midtown. Midtown is the area between the 4 freeways... the Cass Corridor was NEVER such a large area... just a subset of that area.

The Detroit Medical Center, Brush Park, the Museum District and all the areas east and north of the East Ferry Historic District... were NEVER part of the Cass Corridor.

And whether WSU was considered part of the Cass Corridor in a technical sense [[besides the ribbon farm issue) is debatable.

But Midtown is NOT EQUAL TO Cass Corridor... but so much more...

The theatre is expected to be completed by July, the apartment building by November, and construction on the Woodward/Willis building is expected to start by June.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    The theatre is expected to be completed by July, the apartment building by November, and construction on the Woodward/Willis building is expected to start by June.
    Thanks for the update. Do you know if there are any renderings for the Woodward/Willis project?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast