Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default LA Times story on Detroit's Crisis

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3295008.story

apparently the author used to work for the Detroit News; lots of interesting points.

Scott Martelle wrote the best book about Detroit over the last few years, Detroit: A Biography. A good editorial indeed.

I think Martelle has some good points, but I don't agree with his opinion about the EFM. Have to start somewhere and now. Bickering over the best method has been going on for years. EFM might not be the absolute best solution, but the longer the wait, the more decay. EFM is the quickest thing that can be done by someone in charge. Snyder can be a crud, but have to do something now that might fix at least a little something in getting Detroit back to a great city. Sometimes small baby steps are all you are going to get at this moment. Take anything to get going. Too bicker on and on will never improve a thing. Never. Time for action is this minute.

"I think Martelle has some good points, but I'm going to overlook them and support drastic action that ignores them."

"You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs."

"If I ever hear that 'can't make an omelet' phrase again, I'll start doing a little murder myself! It's used to justify every atrocity under every despotism, Fascist or Nazi or Communist or American labor war. Omelet! Eggs! By God, sir, men's souls and blood are not eggshells for tyrants to break!"

"Oh, sorry, sir. I guess maybe the phrase is a little shopworn! I just mean to say--I'm just trying to figure this situation out realistically!"

"'Realistically'! That's another buttered bun to excuse murder!"

"But honestly, you know--horrible things do happen, thanks to the imperfection of human nature, but you can forgive the means if the end is a rejuvenated nation that--"

"I can do nothing of the kind! I can never forgive evil and lying and cruel means, and still less can I forgive fanatics that use that for an excuse! ... A country that tolerates evil means--evil manners, standards of ethics--for a generation, will be so poisoned that it never will have any good end. I'm just curious, but do you know how perfectly you're quoting every Bolshevik apologist that sneers at decency and kindness and truthfulness in daily dealings as 'bourgeois morality'?"

--It Can't Happen Here, Sinclair Lewis

Every time I hear a city council-person, mayor, or representative say something to the effect of "but we have been making progress....we've cut this, we've cut that, we've scaled back this, cut, cut cut, blah, blah, blah," I wonder how cutting and cutting is going to help with a long term prognosis.

The author makes this clear, and offers regionalization as an alternative, in addition to complete re-invention, and therein lies the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    "I think Martelle has some good points, but I'm going to overlook them and support drastic action that ignores them."
    The main thesis of his article is that salvation lies in regionalism.

The Powers-That-Be in Detroit have generally resisted regionalism as much as possible -- see Belle Isle, Cobo, the Streetlight Authority, and so on -- even if the the obstructionist tactics didn't ultimately succeed.

So, at the end of the day, even Martelle's preferred outcome requires an ouster of those "Powers-That-Be," which is your E[[F)M.

I love how you use an example that contradicts your point or misses the point. The Streetlight Authority isn't an example of regionalism but if it was, it's already been approved. Cobo was effectively regionalized. Belle Isle was to be taken over by the state. One could call that regionalism but of the three examples you gave, 2 of the 3 have happened and they happened with the votes of the "Powers-That-Be".

"even if the the obstructionist tactics didn't ultimately succeed"

^ From my original post. Reading comprehension much?

Streetlights [[http://www.freep.com/article/2012121...n-in-Detroit): "unions opposed the legislation and some Detroit Democrats in the Senate were opposed to a proposal supported by Mayor Dave Bing that would have given some appointment authority to the state" ... only once all of the appointments were City Council or Mayor or a combination did the opposition cave, and even then it only passed 5-4. Oops, you messed that one up, Novine!

Cobo [[http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...it_city.html): Here's where City Council actually sued[[!) to try and stop the Cobo Authority. Oops, Novine wrong yet again.

Belle Isle: We all know what happened there.

The "Powers-That-Be" have a HORRENDOUS track record of opposing regionalism, whether it be through alliances with the suburbs or the State. They needed to lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way on these issues, but all they did was obstruct those regional initiatives.

All, again, to my initial point, the E[[F)M is required to get these people the hell out of the way on regional alliances with the state and/or suburbs, because they sure aren't leading or following.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    The main thesis of his article is that salvation lies in regionalism.
    And:

A racial divide, which pits white-majority suburbs against a black-majority city, is the toughest problem, but even it is solvable.
    Yeah..... solvable, but I must have missed the solution. Metro Detroit is the poster boy for racial divide. To call it "solvable" and move on is a rejection of reality.

Also, what's to be done with the lost generations that passed through the defunct DPS? Should we build a fence around Belle Isle, tuck the uneducated and impoverished folks away to then rebuild on rosier soil?

And then he suggests:

offering the land it holds for back taxes to working homesteaders — not speculators — who will commit to five or seven years of occupancy. The same strategy could be applied to the abandoned commercial and industrial sites lining Detroit's main thoroughfares, converting liabilities into taxpaying properties and, in the process, creating urban villages.
    Yes, those city services have people lining the streets to set up shop in Detroit.

This article is a wishful thinking, low substance, fluff piece. This gentleman may know Detroit, but he doesn't belong on the soap box regarding this matter.

Regionalism has proven a waste of time, money and patience on everybody's part. The time is here to make drastic, concise decisions. Detroit does not need to sit around and watch people talk about what needs to be done. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Every time I hear a city council-person, mayor, or representative say something to the effect of "but we have been making progress....we've cut this, we've cut that, we've scaled back this, cut, cut cut, blah, blah, blah," I wonder how cutting and cutting is going to help with a long term prognosis.

The author makes this clear, and offers regionalization as an alternative, in addition to complete re-invention, and therein lies the challenge.
    Regionalization is the real solution. EFM simple perpetuates the slime. Bankruptcy is second best, because its not the tool of those already in power.

Scott makes a lot of sense. However, geting everyone on board is a bear and probably impossible. They have been trying for years just to get the bus system regionalized.
    People don't always act rationally even when a crisis is at hand. They go with what feels comfortable. Getting out of their comfort zone [[past prejudice etc.) is a lot to expect.
    I don't see vast changes for another generation and only if a New York broken windows policy is implimented. Saftey is a top priority.

Pardon my ignorance, but with an EFM coming in could they simplify the process and allow the state to make it a state park? I assume with the mayor and CC becoming somewhat worthless the EFM could do this.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but with an EFM coming in could they simplify the process and allow the state to make it a state park? I assume with the mayor and CC becoming somewhat worthless the EFM could do this.
    Who knows? March 27 is the day the EFM goes full-on EM. After that, all bets are off.

MMMMM. Dat suburban regionalism.

Because we're all in it tog..sorry I couldn't even type it in good faith.

As much as that "I say this random place in Michigan is Detroit, so it's Detroit" stuff gets thrown around, the powers that be show it's just not the case.

What a TERRIFIC article! The guy's a regular soothsayer, he must have a crystal ball! Let me write this down "proviiiide police AND fire protection, give away homes, change liaaaaabiiilities to taxable aaaaaassets". Now WHY didn't anybody else think of this? Pure genius.

Saying it and doing it are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Saying it and doing it are two different things.
    Exactly. To quote Jimi Hendrix, "I know what I want, I just don't know how to go about gettin' it". As far as what Detroit "needs", the people that live here are all too well aware.

"The "Powers-That-Be" have a HORRENDOUS track record of opposing regionalism, whether it be through alliances with the suburbs or the State. They needed to lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way on these issues, but all they did was obstruct those regional initiatives."

As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to Detroit City government, the only "Powers-That-Be" that matter are Mayor Bing and the current City Council. Whatever state legislators or former Council members did isn't really relevant to the current discussion. Whether a proposal passed 5-4 or 9-0 is irrelevant to whether it passed or not. Of course, if you still think that the lighting authority is an example of regionalism, you should think twice about attacking others for their lack of comprehension.

On the original article, the author makes a lot of good points. EFMs in Michigan have a very poor record and the communities they have been put into don't have a long-term track record of success. The EFMs do little to address the structural problems in these communities and no amount of right-sizing of city government can address the poverty, lack of job opportunities and declining property values that have brought these communities to their state of financial distress.
    Last edited by Novine; March-05-13 at 03:26 PM.

You do realize that someone can obstruct something and it can still eventually pass, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    The EFMs do little to address the structural problems in these communities and no amount of right-sizing of city government can address the poverty, lack of job opportunities and declining property values that have brought these communities to their state of financial distress.
    Does an EM/EFM have the power to fix these things? Does any mayor or council in any city of this country have the power or the resources to fix these things?

The author brings nothing new to the table. The first 3 words of the article are all you need to read, "Michigan's Republican governor". Probably reads well out in LA

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Scott makes a lot of sense. However, geting everyone on board is a bear and probably impossible. They have been trying for years just to get the bus system regionalized.
    People don't always act rationally even when a crisis is at hand. They go with what feels comfortable. Getting out of their comfort zone [[past prejudice etc.) is a lot to expect.
    I don't see vast changes for another generation and only if a New York broken windows policy is implimented. Saftey is a top priority.
    new york broken windows?

to what degree does Michigan's Home Rule laws restrict efforts to regionalize different services or local governments?

"You do realize that someone can obstruct something and it can still eventually pass, right?"

Why don't you name the names of the "Powers-That-Be" so we can all know who you consider to be all-powerful in Detroit politics.

"to what degree does Michigan's Home Rule laws restrict efforts to regionalize different services or local governments?"

Home Rule law works both ways. It allows home rule communities to choose whether to regionalize services or not. There's nothing that prohibits services from being regionalized. But it requires the local communities to opt into those regionalized services.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast