Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Give Detroit to Mitt Romney"

So runs a slate.com blog post by David Weigal. The writer argues, "Why not? Romney's got a mixed record as a politician, but nobody's ever questions his skill as a brutal operator and turnaround artist. He's got a good relationship with Republicans in the state—they even scrapped an electoral vote split plan in 2012 because they wanted him to win! He's got a larger Rolodex of possible investors than anyone else who might be reasonably expected to take this job."

Not surprisingly Fox News ran with that one.
    On "Fox News Sunday," Washington Post opinion writer Charles Lane suggested the former GOP presidential nominee and turnaround expert at private equity firm Bain Capital should get the job of turning Detroit around.

"You do see that Mitt Romney is a person with a lot of ability and a lot of energy. Who still has got a lot to contribute, and, you know, his hometown of Detroit, right now, has just been put into state receivership or it's about to be," Lane said. "I wonder if there is no role for him in the restructuring of Detroit. He'd be the perfect person to do it. He has got the expertise, he's a hometown guy, and he is a kind of a political free agent at this point. That is the kind of thing that he could, I think, contribute in the future."

From The Detroit News via DeadlineDetroit
    I can't imagine Mitt going for such a high risk situation with little financial gain for himself but, hey, he is being wistful about what 'could' have been according to this whine.

[QUOTE]Mitt Romney: “It Kills Me … Not to Be in the White House Doing What Needs To Be Done”

Maybe he could finally get his wish of "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt".

OK, I can't stop laughing about this wickedly devious yet somehow seriously sensible idea.

Gov. Snyder made it clear this morning on WJR's Paul W. Smith show that Mitt was never on his list of Detroit EM candidates, so it's not going to happen.

Sure, Willard would want to come back and be EM. And maybe he'd reconstruct the family house in Palmer Woods too!

Snyder wants someone he can quietly control, that's the whole benefit of appointing an EMF as opposed to having a bankruptcy judge come in. so i don't think that he would want Mitt because he would draw lots of national attention

Here's an equally ridiculous idea: how about making Kwame Kilpatrick serve as Emergency Manager for free as part of his community service? It will be his mandate to find and return all the money he lost Detroit. And could the city council and radicals in Detroit really object to KK as EM? It's almost too perfect. If he fails, he goes to jail to serve out the rest of his sentence. If he succeeds, he's set free and flown at state expense to Mackinac Island for a vacation.

OH HELL NO!!!

Detroit doesn't need a Republican Mormon business man who going to Downsize Detroit city government to his liking that looks like Salt Lake City.

Worst Idea Ever for Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    OH HELL NO!!!

Detroit doesn't need a Republican Mormon business man who going to Downsize Detroit city government to his liking that looks like Salt Lake City.
    Does anyone rob school kids for their sneakers with AK-47's @ bus stops in SLC?

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Here's an equally ridiculous idea: how about making Kwame Kilpatrick serve as Emergency Manager for free as part of his community service? It will be his mandate to find and return all the money he lost Detroit. And could the city council and radicals in Detroit really object to KK as EM? It's almost too perfect. If he fails, he goes to jail to serve out the rest of his sentence. If he succeeds, he's set free and flown at state expense to Mackinac Island for a vacation.
    Now put the whole thing on national TV and I bet it'll sell. Sorta like a cross between Survivor and The Apprentice.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-04-13 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    OH HELL NO!!!

Let's see 8 murders in 2010 who wouldn't want that? I know SLC has about 190,000 residents but even quadrupling that figure 32 murders compare that to what we have. What part of that don't you like?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-04-13 at 12:49 PM.

What does the fact that he is Mormon have to do with his ability to govern?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Gov. Snyder made it clear this morning on WJR's Paul W. Smith show that Mitt was never on his list of Detroit EM candidates, so it's not going to happen.
    I'm pretty sure the person's Jack Martin.

No out of state candidate will touch Detroit with a 6-foot pole.

Furthermore, He's black and already familiar with Detroit's finances.

Another possible candidate is Kirk Lewis, which is why he stepped down suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In MI View Post
    What does the fact that he is Mormon have to do with his ability to govern?
    Not a darned thing as far as I am concerned, but its an easy way to exclude people you don't like is by justifying it with a red herring.

After all it kept the Irish unemployed and the blacks as second class citizens. This country is far too divisive.

Oh, I just remembered, Joe Harris is no longer the EM for Benton Harbor.

Maybe he's the candidate Snyder has in mind...

The only problem is that Romney is white and will cause all of the race whores in Detroit to go tilt. Besides that Romney would make a great EFM IF [[and only if) he wants to do it.

If a black EFM is required [[and probably is) a good candidate would be Colin Powell [[if he is interested) as he has enough prestige that the race whores would have to keep their mouths shut.

Pesky,Ilitch-itemate,and Marooned would make a case for a better Detroit.

Meaningless wordplay, is all.

Hmmm, lesseee, where have I heard this before?

Oh yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ Mitt's looking for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    If I remember correctly, he also 'made it clear' at one point that he would never pass Right to Work legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    If I remember correctly, he also 'made it clear' at one point that he would never pass Right to Work legislation.
    Politics.

He passed RTW in exchanged for the RTA, which the legislature would have never passed otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Politics.

He passed RTW in exchanged for the RTA, which the legislature would have never passed otherwise.
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also, I thought Snyder said it wasn't his "agenda." I don't believe that it was. The Republican legislature pushed that through. He did sign it, but I don't consider everything he signs his agenda.

hahahaha Detroit is the LAST thing Mitt Romney wants

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    hahahaha Detroit is the LAST thing Mitt Romney wants
    Don't laugh he has a big ego. Just think if he did come in and turned the city around? He could do whatever he wanted after that!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also, I thought Snyder said it wasn't his "agenda." I don't believe that it was. The Republican legislature pushed that through. He did sign it, but I don't consider everything he signs his agenda.
    Funny how people pick on Snyder for this 'agenda' change. He's probably the most transparent politician I've ever seen. Did his agenda change? No. Did he sign it. Yes. He practically begged his fellow Repubs to not push RTW. He practically begged dems to stop the constitutional initiative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast