Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I knew the suburbs were racist!

http://freep.com/article/20090702/NE...c+intimidation

See! All the suburbs are racist! If you ain't white and christian, then get out!

[[I hope you see the actual message I'm sending...)

This is a stupid thread subject on so many levels. Can't wait for the shitstorm to start on this one. DC, I get your sarcasm, but is this really necessary other than to just start another vicious thread about racism? I am sure there are better ways to utilize Lowell's pixels.

I feel it is necessary, Detroiters are plastered with labels constantly, so I figured I'd insert a little humor to the mix

What's funny is that someone doesn't know the difference between racism and ethnic intimidation.

The news item only mentions that one of the 2 people was Jewish. It says nothing about the race of either person.

One would guess that both people were white... which if this is indeed the case... does not constitute racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What's funny is that someone doesn't know the difference between racism and ethnic intimidation.

The news item only mentions that one of the 2 people was Jewish. It says nothing about the race of either person.

One would guess that both people were white... which if this is indeed the case... does not constitute racism.
    I guess that's the downside of Jews becoming "white".

I was at the DIA today looking at the white Jesus at the last supper thinking how some say he must have been dark skinned because he lived in the middle east. Then it struck me. The guy was born a Jew and I haven't met too many dark skinned Jews. But, then another think struck me. How did a ethnicity that originated near Palestine and Syria, get pulled into Egypt, then go back to the region of Palestine and Syria look nothing like Palestinians, Syrians, or Egyptians or even like Greeks and Italians? Am I missing some piece of history?

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    I was at the DIA today looking at the white Jesus at the last supper thinking how some say he must have been dark skinned because he lived in the middle east. Then it struck me. The guy was born a Jew and I haven't met too many dark skinned Jews. But, then another think struck me. How did a ethnicity that originated near Palestine and Syria, get pulled into Egypt, then go back to the region of Palestine and Syria look nothing like Palestinians, Syrians, or Egyptians or even like Greeks and Italians? Am I missing some piece of history?
    Go to Ethiopia. Plenty of dark skinned Jews there...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Go to Ethiopia. Plenty of dark skinned Jews there...
    Exactly.... and then Google the terms Sephardic Jew and Ashkenazi Jew for more skin tone variations....

I did not know that. So, did they emigrate from Egypt to Ethiopia and does Sudan have dark skinned Jews as well? Are white Jews white because they were pushed out of the middle east and mixed with Northern Europeans in the early BC years?

Thanks for the search terms. They lead me to this which helps alot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_ethnic_divisions
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jews1490.png

DetroitDad Guest

The religion is bogus, in the sense that many small changes and edits were made to help the religion fit in, and in many cases, control a people.

I prefer not to read too much into a king's version of anything that happened, personally.

MIRepublic Guest

Are white Jews white because they were pushed out of the middle east and mixed with Northern Europeans in the early BC years?
    Isn't that kind of obvious? I mean, look at the Jews who managed to escape the diaspora, or at least able to maintain a continued residence in the Middle East, at least, and then look at those who were pushed/pressured to Europe and then note how long those in Europe stayed there until the middle of the last century.

Last week at hockey a guy called me 'guido'. I am Italian. Should I call the cops? j/k

I did not know that. So, did they emigrate from Egypt to Ethiopia and does Sudan have dark skinned Jews as well? Are white Jews white because they were pushed out of the middle east and mixed with Northern Europeans in the early BC years?
    The Jews of ancient Israel indeed looked Mediterranean, as their geography would suggest. Jesus would have had olive-colored skin, so not the "white" skin of Europeans, but also not "dark skin" [[unless by "dark skin" you meant olive).

The way that the majority of Jews came to have "white" skin was because after the Jewish-Roman Wars- which ended Jewish rule of Judaea/Israel- Jews were spread throughout the Roman Empire, and eventually various communities coalesced in various regions. One particular community was the Jews whose likely route was Israel->Italy->France [[roughly speaking), and who, by about 1,000 years ago, were concentrated in the French/German border area. These Jews were called Ashkenazi Jews, and they slowly migrated east, into Germany, and eventually into Eastern Europe, even into Russia. Sometime during that long journey, there was intermixing between these ethnic Jews, whose background was ancient Israel, and ethnic Europeans. That's how that community of Jews came to have "white" skin, and occasionally blond hair [[though, on the whole, most Ashkenazi Jews do have darker hair and distinct features, and genetic studies have shown that the majority of the Ashkenazi gene pool is from the Middle East). This group of Jews was relatively minor, until it underwent a massive population expansion in the last few hundred years, coinciding with population decreases amongst other groups of Jews [[many of whom had retained their Mediterranean looks), causing Ashkenazi Jews to become the majority of the world's Jews. Most American Jews are Ashkenazi, so chances are most Jews you've ever met/seen/heard of are Ashkenazi [["white").

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Atwater View Post
    The Jews of ancient Israel indeed looked Mediterranean, as their geography would suggest. Jesus would have had olive-colored skin, so not the "white" skin of Europeans, but also not "dark skin" [[unless by "dark skin" you meant olive).

The way that the majority of Jews came to have "white" skin was because after the Jewish-Roman Wars- which ended Jewish rule of Judaea/Israel- Jews were spread throughout the Roman Empire, and eventually various communities coalesced in various regions. One particular community was the Jews whose likely route was Israel->Italy->France [[roughly speaking), and who, by about 1,000 years ago, were concentrated in the French/German border area. These Jews were called Ashkenazi Jews, and they slowly migrated east, into Germany, and eventually into Eastern Europe, even into Russia. Sometime during that long journey, there was intermixing between these ethnic Jews, whose background was ancient Israel, and ethnic Europeans. That's how that community of Jews came to have "white" skin, and occasionally blond hair [[though, on the whole, most Ashkenazi Jews do have darker hair and distinct features, and genetic studies have shown that the majority of the Ashkenazi gene pool is from the Middle East). This group of Jews was relatively minor, until it underwent a massive population expansion in the last few hundred years, coinciding with population decreases amongst other groups of Jews [[many of whom had retained their Mediterranean looks), causing Ashkenazi Jews to become the majority of the world's Jews. Most American Jews are Ashkenazi, so chances are most Jews you've ever met/seen/heard of are Ashkenazi [["white").

Jesus did not have the white skin of Europeans. He had the white skin of God.

Revelation 1:15
    And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

Sure are a lot of anti-Dentites on this forum. Pretty alarming.

Jerry, you probably should have broke that Kraut's nose. Oh wait. But if you're suggesting that the victim of this crime shouldn't have reported it, I don't think that's fair. Not to mention recent history, which we all know about, the present record of violence and intimidation against Jews around the world is no joke. Whether it's "race" or "ethnicity," it's a very serious problem. See DC a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I guess that's the downside of Jews becoming "white".
    How can a "religion" become a race? There are white Jews. There are also black Jews [[Ethiopian Jews) and olive-skinned Jews and Jews of many other colors and ethnicities.

Judaism is a religion, not a race. The Jewish victim here is most likely white. There is no racism involved. It's antisemitism, not racism.

Everybody's equal...........in the end it all comes out the same.

Retroit Guest

I suspect dcmorrison12 knows that Judaism is not a race. He just likes to stir the pot with inflammatory rhetoric every now and then. But I'm finding the Jesus/Jewish topic interesting.

Jesus most likely had the same skin color as most Middle Easterners living today, which I would describe as "white", and certainly not "black". The Africanization of Jesus is nothing more than racist ignorance by those who believe that Jesus must have the "proper" skin color in order to be worshiped. What a shame! Take, for example, St. Cecelia Church on Livernois in Detroit. It used to have a painting of a "white" Jesus on the wall behind the altar, but that wasn't good enough, apparently, so he was painted over into a black man. How racist can you get? "If Jesus isn't my skin color, how can I worship Him?"

First of all there is but one race of people...the HUMAN RACE....secondly whether you believe in evolution or creationism...we are traced back to a small number of people who migrated all over the world. I read once that we can be traced back through DNA to 5000 people...whether that is remotely true..it has tremendous implications...

the myth of being "favored or chosen" is debunked with an easy test..are we all not equal in G-d's eyes?

Race was a classification system that leads to separation and segregation, allocation of resources...while we all can be proud of ethnic and cultural heritage when we use against other we get the worst in people.

prejudice is one of the original sins that hasn't been erased by humanity and compassion...this is the fourth of July ..let's all try to realize that our country is stronger because of it's diversity..we are a tapestry not a white washed canvas.

You state:

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Jesus most likely had the same skin color as most Middle Easterners living today.
    Then claim people believeing he may have been another color is racist?[/quote]

So what is worse - taking your assumptions [[most likely) and claiming that anyone that disagress is racist or people believing that they worship someone who may have looked like them.

If your lord/con-man is white in your opinion [[with no historical fact) what is wrnog with others seeing their lord/con-man as black [[with no historical fact).

Calling people racist because they perceive a historical figure from 2000 years ago as a different color is sheer stupidity.

Sludgedaddy Guest

...Some also may claim that Jesus was a Space Traveler from another world ,light years from Judea.

I also like the antropologic theory that the darker skin worshippers of the God of Abraham migrated to the northern climes of Europe from North Africa and the Mediterrian during the last Ice Age, evolved with a lighter complexion and hunted Mammoths and butchered them in a Kosher manner.

I believe Jean Auelstein wrote a popular novel supporting this theory entitled "Bar Mitzvah of the Cave Bear".

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Calling people racist because they perceive a historical figure from 2000 years ago as a different color is sheer stupidity.
    So are most of your posts, but that hasn't stopped you yet.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    So are most of your posts, but that hasn't stopped you yet.
    You are free to point that out on those posts so I can respond. It works better for discussion than making a pointless claim on a random thread.

Of course your insight is about as valuable as a gun shot to the head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast