Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's [[possible)EM leads me to a question about Wayne County

I saw Andy Dillion on a television program last week speaking about Detroit's situation. The host mentioned Wayne County&Dillion said he&his people will begin looking at Wayne Co's situation.
    That leads me to my question,or questions. First,can an entire county be placed under Emergency Management? Second,is it likely Wayne County is next on the list for EM?What would this entail?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I saw Andy Dillion on a television program last week speaking about Detroit's situation. The host mentioned Wayne County&Dillion said he&his people will begin looking at Wayne Co's situation.
    That leads me to my question,or questions. First,can an entire county be placed under Emergency Management? Second,is it likely Wayne County is next on the list for EM?What would this entail?
    Thanks in advance.
    I do believe an entire county can be placed under an EM.

^^^^^^^^^^^Thank you. I don't know why but up until I heard Dillion&the host discuss it EM for an entire county never occurred to me.Thanks again.

The federal government needs an EFM.

Universities need to offer an EFM degree'd program!

I read the new EFM law that takes effect on the 27th of this month. I am
    not a lawyer but it appears to me that the EFM manager law does apply to
    counties. However, the law seems to be written with municipalities and
    school boards in mind. Boise County Idaho entered Chapter 9 bankruptcy
    in 2010. I heard that about 48 Michigan school districts were at risk of
    running out of money and, therefore, on the cusp of either an EFM or
    bankruptcy. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Did China resign?

Ultimately, issues of corruption aside, what afflicts local governments and the difficulty is meeting long-term obligations is that most school districts, cities, towns, and counties have operated for years independent of economic reality. Whatever amount of money should be spent [[a policy debate I am not seeking to have in this thread), the rates of growth of spending increase every year beyond the rate of inflation/population increase. Whether those costs are in services [[easiest to trim) or fixed costs like pensions and public employee benefit costs [[hardest to trim), most governments in most years spend more one year than the one before. Think about it. In the 2000s we had almost no inflation, and almost no population growth in Michigan. Shouldn't our localities be spending in 2010 what they were in 2000? Well they weren't. That isn't sustainable, and will jeopardize the stability of most Michigan municipalities. Granted, most are not so far gone that it isn't fixable. Actually, even Detroit's woes are fixable. Our elected leaders have deliberately chosen not to. That it is why it will now be out of our hands. A true if sad blessing. Wayne County needs a less corrupt leader, and then it will have the ability to fix itself. Hope it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Not when they own the printing press for money.

In a developed economy, population growth is a stimulus for economic growth and while population declines generally dampens economic growth and reduces property values. Very few bureaucracies - governmental or otherwise - are prepared to cope with population declines and shrinking markets. Michigan was the only state to lose population between 2000 and 2010. Michigan and Rhode Island were the only states to lose population from 2010 to mid-2012.
    It would be desirable to hear an informed discussion of population trends in Michigan and what, if anything, can be done to encourage population growth including in-migration to the state from other states and abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Not when they own the printing press for money.
    ... and can borrow at negative real rates of interest

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I read the new EFM law that takes effect on the 27th of this month. I am
    not a lawyer but it appears to me that the EFM manager law does apply to
    counties. However, the law seems to be written with municipalities and
    school boards in mind. Boise County Idaho entered Chapter 9 bankruptcy
    in 2010.
    Thank you very much but from what I'm reading the Boise situation stems from not being able cover a judgement against the county.
    I thank you for the response just the same.
    Last edited by trotwood; March-04-13 at 09:36 AM.