Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Multiple Cases of Teens Robbed AT BUS STOPS

This is most recent case. Too few police patrolling the east side per the article [[as though this fact was unknown)...

Denby student: Shoes stolen at gunpoint while waiting for bus

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21...#ixzz2MU8gwTqG

Wednesday, a 13-year-old boy said he was robbed at gunpoint at a bus stop at Seven Mile and Eureka. Two suspects are also in custody in that case.

Five other bus stop robberies were reported on Monday in Detroit, but police have not said if the cases are linked.

"The mayor, whoever is in charge of the police [needs] to get more police out here for the kids," said the 15-year-old's mother.

She said police told her there were only two cars patrolling the entire Eastern District.

Denby High School will send out robocalls Thursday night warning parents to have students walk in groups and conceal flashy cell phones and headphones.

In a statement, Kenyetta Wilbourn, Denby's principal, said, "It's unfortunate kids have to be in survival mode just to get to school. Often, teachers drive by bus stops to give kids a ride to school, but until adults and city leaders step up, things will only get worse."

Detroit Police said they will continue to check bus stops before and after school, but all riders should be on alert.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-03-13 at 11:24 AM.

Many times on this forum the idea of bringing in the national guard has been mentioned. It rightfully gets shot down because they don't possess the policing skills required for the situation. But maybe here is a simple and straight forward mission for it -- guarantee the safety of children going to and returning from school.

I recognize that is somewhere between preposterous and impossible, but I only mention it say that there needs to be something like a constitutional guarantee of safety to, during and from school.

If we can make truancy laws forcing education, then we need laws to insure safety from doorstep to doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Many times on this forum the idea of bringing in the national guard has been mentioned. It rightfully gets shot down because they don't possess the policing skills required for the situation. But maybe here is a simple and straight forward mission for it -- guarantee the safety of children going to and returning from school.

I recognize that is somewhere between preposterous and impossible, but I only mention it say that there needs to be something like a constitutional guarantee of safety to, during and from school.

If we can make truancy laws forcing education, then we need laws to insure safety from doorstep to doorstep.
    Only 2 cars patrolling the Eastern District? That is beyond pathetic[[there are more cars patrolling my 11x8 block home town at any given time). Although I am not in favor of deploying a battalion or brigade in the city due to the skills mentioned above and other problems that have been discussed at length on here. What is never mentioned is that police units are usually attached to larger military units. Maybe its time to call on MP/SP/AP's to protect the law abiding citizens of the city.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-03-13 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Only 2 cars patrolling the Eastern District? That is beyond pathetic[[there are more cars patrolling my 11x8 block home town at any given time). Although I am not in favor of deploying a battalion or brigade in the city due to the skills mentioned above and other problems that have been discussed at length on here. What is never mentioned is that police units are usually attached to larger military units. Maybe its time to call on MP/SP/AP's to protect the law abiding citizens of the city.
    Maybe the police need a more military form of organization. For every 120 patrolmen [[beat cops) you are authorized only eight sergeants, three lieutenants, and one captain. Keep the same pyramid as you go up the line.

Clerks and jerks working for the police are civilians, not sworn officers, and paid accordingly.

Maybe its time to call on MP/SP/AP's to protect the law abiding citizens of the city.
    Maybe its time to call on MP/SP/AP's to protect the law abiding citizens of the city.
    The county and state police are struggling to police their own jurisdictions.

They hardly have the resources to patrol the crime ridden Detroit, for free at that.

I don't understand why they couldn't handle some additional training? Especially now days with all the additional training required for service overseas you'd think they could offer a civil law enforcement class and bring those national guards in afterwarda and deputize them?..

Quote Originally Posted by Adamkir View Post
    I don't understand why they couldn't handle some additional training? Especially now days with all the additional training required for service overseas you'd think they could offer a civil law enforcement class and bring those national guards in afterwarda and deputize them?..
    How are you going to pay these deputies and their training?

That seems to be what the forum says. But there was a recent article where retired high ranking officials of the national guard said they absolutely could assist in policing places like Detroit and Chicago and had the skills necessary to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

They hardly have the resources to patrol the crime ridden Detroit, for free at that.
    I think he's saying "Military Police".

Maybe the victims should have threatened the perps with the fact a new $65 mil police station was being revamped. That would have sent them heading for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe the victims should have threatened the perps with the fact a new $65 mil police station was being revamped. That would have sent them heading for the hills.
    Or that we're spending $600,000 per city council member on staff. Or that we have a human rights department. [[Hey, isn't safety a human right?)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; March-03-13 at 02:03 PM. Reason: simplify

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Or that we're spending $600,000 per city council member on staff. Or that we have a human rights department. [[Hey, isn't safety a human right?)
    Uhhhh, not in Detroit, no.

A few months back by accident I noticed a trend in bus stop robberies. I was looking at a crime map that placed a dot where robberies had taking place in Detroit and on the east side you could see dots on the map where bus stops are

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    A few months back by accident I noticed a trend in bus stop robberies. I was looking at a crime map that placed a dot where robberies had taking place in Detroit and on the east side you could see dots on the map where bus stops are
    I believe the last time I heard about incedents like this was around Christmas & New Year. Maybe they've been kept under the radar and are now starting to seep out. If I believed in conspiracies.

Calling in the NG to fill the role of police officer in Detroit will face HEAVY opposition from the police union and the rank-and-file, who will view them as scabs taking away police jobs and reducing their potential for overtime pay. It's the same way the unions and the rank-and-file view Reserve/Auxiliary police units that are staffed with unpaid volunteers.

Wayne County Sheriff's and DPD both have Reserve Units who are perfectly suited to low-priority tasks like this. However both units are small and poorly-utilized because the rank-and-file and the union oppose increasing their size and responsibility [[if you got paid to do a job, you would probably not look kindly on someone coming in and offering to do your job for free, taking away hours and overtime pay from you).

so we're talking about $200 shoes then?
    do you carry $200 cash/items on you at a bus stop, in detroit?

did the robbers take his lunch money at gunpoint too?

deplorable. is there no neighborhood watch?
    can the bus stops be moved into better locations with more security?

"stop and frisk" isnt going to stop robbers in cars.

i'll go back on my 'no national guard' opinion. if you have undercover national guard providing security at bustops and on buses and such, i can accept it. and i'll even go one more and say detroit will need it due to the shakeup this EFM/bankruptcy will cause.

If we get rid of transit then this kind of crime will go away.

Crime is done when thieves have opportunity. With fewer police as well as eyes on the street thieves have a field day.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-03-13 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

No the Army's Military Police, the Navy's/US Marine/US Coast Guard Shore Patrol, or the Air Police from the US Air Force.

In both cases suspects were already in custody, so what has changed from the past where there were no suspects found?

I mentioned this in another thread once before. It's obvious that the city isn't going to get more cops out there and no, the military isn't going to come steamrolling into town.

Everyone does such a bang up job over those few days prior to and on Halloween, patrolling the streets looking to stop arson. So, just do the same thing all the time.
    Just having more eyes on the street from neighborhood volunteers may be enough to drive back many of these bus stop holdups, along with a number of other crimes. Having a respectable adult or two monitoring stops where students are known to catch a bus to school would likely be enough of a deterrent.

There isn't any quick fix here. If we want this city to pull itself out of the pit of hell that it finds itself in, then it's going to be up to the residents to pitch in. Just sitting back hoping that more cops will be on the streets isn't going to get it.