Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Diamond Jack Tours

Anybody ever been on one of these Diamond Jack tours? Was it a good time with cool sights?

Thanks,
    Stromberg2

We've done the Upper Detroit River tour out of Hart Plaza several times and have always enjoyed it. Just be sure to dress for the weather on the water!! It is always cooler and windier there than on land.

We also took the Lower Detroit River tour from Wyandotte Bishop Park and really enjoyed that tour.

All of our guests have enjoyed the tour immensely!

Very good cruise! We have done it a few times

Thanks guys, I thought that's what I would hear!

Stromberg2

As someone who has been sailing with Diamond Jack's River Tours on the same essential circle route for five years, I still enjoy each trip looking for something new along the riverfront. If you take the upper Detroit River tour, there's a good chance I'll be your narrator! The narration provides some wonderful insight into Detroit and maritime history.

As a side note, the upper river tour now leaves from the RIVARD PLAZA dock at Rivard & Atwater, no longer from Hart Plaza. The signage at Rivard is not very good, but you can park in the lot at the plaza and purchase your tickets on the boat, which docks right beside the carrousel. The website [[www.diamondjack.com) provides thegeneral information about our public tours. Be aware that the 3:30PM tour on Sunday, July 5 leaving from Rivard has been cancelled, but the Wyandotte tour will still be running at 3:30PM, and Sunday's 1:00PM tour is still running at Rivard. Come out for a tour!

Both tours are nice, especially for out of town visitors.

i took these on the DJ Riverboat
    Attachment 2174

Thanks for those nice photographs French777.

Thanks, French!!

Stromberg2

Default Excellent cruise and good value

We took the cruise last Sunday afternoon from Rivard Plaza and had a great time. The narrator was very informative and easy to understand. Highly recommended.

French you sure have your own odd way with things. Five hundred sights to see on that tour and you post three pics, two of which are of the same damn thing.

Over the years my wife and I have taken many Diamond Jack tours. We have gone as far north as the Blue Water bridge, as far south as the Port of Toledo. We even took the tour that took us up the Rouge River to behind Rouge Steel, then around the back of Zug Island. We were never disappointed with any of the tours.

French's photos are from whichever year the Boble Steamer Ste. Claire was docked at Tri-Centennial Park [[2006? or was it 05?). The Tri-Centennial lighthouse is one of the most photographed landmarks along the Diamond Jack's Detroit Tour. It's a replica of the Tawas Point Lighthouse up on Lake Huron. That Detroit Skyline photo is a good one - Cobo Arena, People Mover guideway, downtown skyscrapers... and no Detroit Princess! I'd say a lot more but you should really just go on the tour yourself and learn a little something about Detroit history.

I know what it is, genius. Doesn't mean it warrants two photos out of three.

"Most photographed"? You base that claim on....? Have you conducted surveys? Polled passengers? I've taken that cruise numerous times and would love to know how you've come up with such a statistic.

My wife and I took my out-of-state parents on the DJ a couple years back. I actually learned a lot on the cruise, and you see a lot from the water that you didn't even know existed on the Detroit shoreline.

As someone who has been sailing with Diamond Jack's River Tours on the same essential circle route for five years....f you take the upper Detroit River tour, there's a good chance I'll be your narrator!
    That's probably how, Lonyo.

French, Did you graduate this year?

Stromberg2

Sen10r Year!

why do you ask?
    Last edited by French777; August-13-09 at 12:43 PM.

I'm sorry if this was stated... how much are the tours?

Your pix said grad party, so I figured you were done with school.

Stromberg2

I believe it is $17 for adult $12 for a kid ages 1-17

$17 for adults, $15 for seniors 60+, $13 for children age 6-16, children 5 and under are free. Discounts for AAA or AARP, or there is a discount coupon which can be printed from the website. Check the website for sailing times and the coupon. The last weekend of tours in Labor Day... it's coming up soon!

www.diamondjack.com

This is the last weekend for the Diamond Jack tours!! I love the Diamond Jack tours! Unlike the Detroit Princess you really get the feel of being on the water as the Diamond Jack ships [[there are three) have more open decking including seating forward of the bridge.

DJ offers a nice affordable, casual tour option for the whole family. Plus unlike the DP ship, the Diamond Jack ships sail "under" the Belle Isle bridge, circling the entire isle, continuing around the east side tip, then back southward. You get a great view of the mouth of the lake at the turn! Then back down southbound all the way under the Ambassador bridge, turn then back Downtown. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Anybody ever been on one of these Diamond Jack tours? Was it a good time with cool sights?

Thanks,
    Stromberg2
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-09 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typos - oh they plague me....