Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Janet's Lunch is Closed

Signs say Closed for Construction and Under New Management. Now owned by the Cotton Family, who have purchased a good deal of property on that end of Kercheval in GP Park.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Signs say Closed for Construction and Under New Management. Now owned by the Cotton Family, who have purchased a good deal of property on that end of Kercheval in GP Park.
    NO! I LOVE Janet's Lunch.

It's all part of the bigger plan. Relax.

Hit up Harry's in the meantime.

I know it is going to re-open, I just hope they don't take it too upscale.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I know it is going to re-open, I just hope they don't take it too upscale.
    Agreed. That WAS the beauty of Janet's Lunch. Any idea who this Cotton family is? With Janet's closed, Meuller's closed, ACE relocated, my world is shattered. What next? Head banging heavy metal concerts on Belle Isle? Thank God Pointe Hardware is still in tact.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    It's all part of the bigger plan. Relax.

Hit up Harry's in the meantime.
    Harry's? I tried the log cabin looking place down Mack. I liked it.

Country Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Agreed. That WAS the beauty of Janet's Lunch. Any idea who this Cotton family is? With Janet's closed, Meuller's closed, ACE relocated, my world is shattered. What next? Head banging heavy metal concerts on Belle Isle? Thank God Pointe Hardware is still in tact.
    What they did close was ART's liquor store. That was a big fix much needed.

Was that the PS West of there? That was a shaky place, but a nice mix of customers. I used to see Detroiters and GPers coming out of there. Ever been to the Texas Bar? Looks interesting to me. What's "Harry's"? On Clifford?

I have never been eagle-eyed by regulars more fiercely than walking into the Texas for one of my cousin's son's shows, when he was still in high school. It was freaky-weird, I expected to hear Dueling Banjos break-out from somewhere.

As for the Country Kitchen, they are recommended...but don't be surprised if every third visit you seem invisible. I've seen more frustrated guests there than anywhere else, and have been subject to it myself twice.

Dunno about any Harry's besides the Clifford one either...but I'd go across the street to visit Greengo's brilliant beauties for some healthier fare instead. Might just have to do that now...although it is too wet for a stroll. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I have never been eagle-eyed by regulars more fiercely than walking into the Texas for one of my cousin's son's shows, when he was still in high school. It was freaky-weird, I expected to hear Dueling Banjos break-out from somewhere.

As for the Country Kitchen, they are recommended...but don't be surprised if every third visit you seem invisible. I've seen more frustrated guests there than anywhere else, and have been subject to it myself twice.

Dunno about any Harry's besides the Clifford one either...but I'd go across the street to visit Greengo's brilliant beauties for some healthier fare instead. Might just have to do that now...although it is too wet for a stroll. ugh.
    I like Geengo's, Sprout House too.

I would go even broker if I went to the Sprout House regularly. They inspired me with their smoothies so much that I burned out our blender. Now I have none.

But Greengos knows just how to tempt me with their Facebook prompts. Damnit.

Was that the PS West of there? That was a shaky place, but a nice mix of customers. I used to see Detroiters and GPers coming out of there. Ever been to the Texas Bar? Looks interesting to me. What's "Harry's"? On Clifford?
    HT, a True Value Hardware is moving into the old Ace location in the Village. As for Mulier's they had been mailing it in for years! Although one of the Mulier family members has moved to Village Food Market as a butcher[[you can get your Ace fix and walk across the street). Janet's also was a shell of its former self, and I am interested to see what they want to do with the diner.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-27-13 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    HT, a True Value Hardware is moving into the old Ace location in the Village. As for Mulier's they had been mailing it in for years! Although one of the Mulier family members has moved to Village Food Market as a butcher[[you can get your Ace fix and walk across the street). Janet's also was a shell of its former self, and I am interested to see what they want to do with the diner.
    Beat me to it. I just heard about the True Value...so that basically confirms that ACE just couldn't pay the rent. The "new" ACE is a cluster*&%@. Terrible parking and silly layout. I give it a year. Less if TV gets up and running soon.

HT, the Cottons make a s**tload of money off of our taxes. They do 3rd party medical billing mainly through medicare/medicaid. The latest issue of the Pointer has an article on them. The very large mansion on Lakeshore just past the Alger house is being built by one the family members.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by p69rrh51; February-27-13 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Beat me to it. I just heard about the True Value...so that basically confirms that ACE just couldn't pay the rent. The "new" ACE is a cluster*&%@. Terrible parking and silly layout. I give it a year. Less if TV gets up and running soon.
    The layout does need some refinement but the parking is free and not any worse than the Village. The parking behind Kercheval is going to be a big headache for TV.

Harry's? I tried the log cabin looking place down Mack. I liked it.
    did you stick to the seats? nasty

The layout does need some refinement but the parking is free and not any worse than the Village. The parking behind Kercheval is going to be a big headache for TV.
    IIRC, back when that lot had an attendant, parking was validated. Then they went to meters. Now that they're on a ticket system, I wonder if they'll go back to validating.

IIRC, back when that lot had an attendant, parking was validated. Then they went to meters. Now that they're on a ticket system, I wonder if they'll go back to validating.
    I have a feeling validating, but now the Neighborhood Club/Beaumont has control of the entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I would go even broker if I went to the Sprout House regularly. They inspired me with their smoothies so much that I burned out our blender. Now I have none.

But Greengos knows just how to tempt me with their Facebook prompts. Damnit.
    If you're in the market, I have a Starbucks Barista Blender that could be yours. It works great, but we ungraded to a vitamix 5200. The Vitamix can purée a brick, the Starbucks blender can only purée a 2x4.

The food at Janet's was never something to brag about. But it had a cool retro vibe. It was a true neighborhood place.

But one way in which it had slipped in recent years was cleanliness. The floor was a constant disaster. The grill and other kitchen equipment exposed in the center of the cool U-shaped counter were embarassingly scuzzy [[is that a word?) The place had developed such a level of grime that it was clear that the proprietors really didn't care much about their customers. People notice this stuff and stay away.

I was there a few weeks ago, and yes, currently it IS a cluster*&%@. Once they get all their stock out and get organized, I think they're going to be a very profitable store. I find it hard to believe they couldn't pay their rent @ the old location. They had a lot of good traffic there. As far as parking, how can you go wrong being located on an old car dealer lot? PLENTY of spaces to choose from. Unfortunately, both the new ACE and The Village Mkt. are a bit too far for me now to run across the border, [[time & materials, gas prices), everytime I need something for a repair @ home. I guess I'll have to make like a REAL Detroiter and haul it in from the 'burbs on my way home from work.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    did you stick to the seats? nasty
    Only when I sat on the duct tape part of the bench seat. We must have social standings. I really, [[and neither did my guest), feel it was that bad, in fact we were talking about a 2nd visit.

How do GP residents deal with all the meters? Do most places validate?

I always wondered how this works. I can't imagine everyone walks around with a bucket of change for every time they go to the library or grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    How do GP residents deal with all the meters? Do most places validate?

I always wondered how this works. I can't imagine everyone walks around with a bucket of change for every time they go to the library or grocery store.
    I don't know how they're doing financially, but Dearborn went with that nonsense a few years back, and there are a LOT of empty storefronts on the West side of town.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast