Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Best Bloody Mary

I had a Hail Mary @ Ford Field. Best Bloody Mary I ever had. At one time, the ingredients were posted on some for field website, or maybe the website of the vendor. now I can't find it, and I really want one of those. pretty sure it used green olive brine, but I still can't replicate it and I wonder what I'm missing

Have you tried the spicy Bloody Mary at Vivio's? Many people swear that's the best.

My friends that like bloody marys swear by this stuff. I have never tried it though.

I prefer my own combinations of tomato [[or clamato at times) with Worcester sauce, celery salt, maybe a bit of tabasco, and some A1 steak sauce.

clamato juice for sure with a dill pickle spear instead of celery...so good!

The weekend build-your-own-Bloody Mary bar at the Bronx was an education for me. I learned I like them hot, with salt, pepper, horseradish, Tapatío sauce and several hot-pickled beans for garnish.

Vivio's is pretty damn good.

Vivios are ok. But they are almost 8.00 $ now!

Sidetrack Bar & Grill in Ypsilanti, the best!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I had a Hail Mary @ Ford Field. Best Bloody Mary I ever had. At one time, the ingredients were posted on some for field website, or maybe the website of the vendor. now I can't find it, and I really want one of those. pretty sure it used green olive brine, but I still can't replicate it and I wonder what I'm missing
    Someone else told me about this too. I'm always interested in making cool cocktails at home so I tried to search this. Ran into a dead link same as you did. I did find an older version of this recipe thats not the same as the one you are looking for. I've contacted my Ford Field peeps and as soon as I get the recipe I'll post it here.

thanks for all the input! I will try Vivio's. I've heard that the vodka company in ferndale also makes a good one, using McClure's mix

May I also recommend Foran's Grand Trunk Pub, Atlas Global Bistro, and Majestic Café. All three do a bottomless special, but GTP is my favorite with tasty, garlicy mix, salt pickles, and $7 for the first and $1 for refills. Best deal in town IMHO.

I hate tomato juice, but the Bloody Mary at Cass Cafe is divine. Spicy as hell, strong, and has a lot of depth.

I had always been told that the best bloody mary one could have would be on the morning of your worst hang over -- no matter how it was mixed.

I was reading the other night that Americans rarely drank vodka until after World War II. Kind of strange when you think how vodka has taken over, even usurping gin to the point where most people think a vodka martini IS a "martini."

One of my favorite bartenders swore by ringing a Bloody Mary glass in a mixture of light salt and heavy cracked pepper. I must admit, it was good.

The Butter Run in SCS. IMHO it beats the heck out of Vivios, which seems to be making it on their reputation lately.

Prontos in Royal Oak has quite tasty Bloody Marys.

Bachelors One in Keego Harbor used to make the best; it's been a while since I had one but they were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DTFellow View Post
    May I also recommend Foran's Grand Trunk Pub, Atlas Global Bistro, and Majestic Café. All three do a bottomless special, but GTP is my favorite with tasty, garlicy mix, salt pickles, and $7 for the first and $1 for refills. Best deal in town IMHO.
    Sir,Sir - could you please let us know where these establishments are....especially GTP! Thank you & have a very blessed day!
    Last edited by Smirnoff; February-28-13 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I was reading the other night that Americans rarely drank vodka until after World War II.
    how ironic that Russia's beverage of choice took off along with the cold war

I'm allergic to tomatoes, so no Bloody Marys for me, but people I respect on the subject stand behind the Foran's recommendation [[Woodward between Cadillac Sq. and Congress, just south of the First National Building, for the Google-impared). In the old days the Blue Moon used to make a good 'un, for those bleary Thanksgiving parade mornings [[miss you John...).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-28-13 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    how ironic that Russia's beverage of choice took off along with the cold war
    Stranger still that one of the main drinks to popularize vodka at the time was called a "Moscow Mule."

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Sir,Sir - could you please let us know where these establishments are....especially GTP! Thank you & have a very blessed day!
    All three are in Detroit proper. GTP is right downtown on Woodward between Larned and Congress. Atlas and Majestic are also on Woodward Ave. but in Midtown/Cass Corridor. Atlas is just north of the wastelands/Comerica parking/potential new hockey stadium site while Majestic Café is in the Majestic complex, also housing Majestic Theatre and the Magic Stick.

just came across this recipe, allegedly Papa's own:

To a large pitcher [[anything smaller is "worthless") add:
    1 chunk of ice [[the biggest that will fit)
    1 pint of vodka
    1 pint chilled tomato juice
    1 tablespoon "Worcester" sauce
    1 jigger fresh lime juice
    Pinch celery salt
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    Pinch black pepper
    Several drops of Tabasco

"Keep on stirring and taste it to see how it is doing. If you get it too powerful weaken with more tomato juice. If it lacks authority add more vodka."

From a letter to Bernard Peyton signed
    April 5, 1947 by Ernest Hemingway