Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Parking in the City of Detroit

I understand that paying for parking in Detroit is probably necessary. What I don't understand is why I received a parking ticket in Detroit on Saturday night 2/23/2013 at 8:12PM while parked on Fort Street and attending a Detroit Red Wings game. Come on!

I am most probably way out of date but I thought you could park for free after 6:00PM on city streets and on the weekends except for very limited areas. Anybody have information on that topic.

Enforcement until 10pm.

^^^^ Especially in the downtown and WSU areas.

Thank you for contributing to the revitalization of the city.

Your only hope at reducing the total amount of this tax is to pay it within the ten-day deadline as detailed in the tiniest printing on the ticket, on the back.

Do not pay the full amount, unless you want to donate more help.

I think it is absolute bullshit that they enforce after six. It is only a cash-grab...and does NOTHING but create ill-will in all of the Bill07073s of the area who still come into the city for events.

I say we need to introduce a ballot referendum that any time a parking spot is paid for, the one who 'owns' the spot becomes totally and completely liable for the vehicle's and occupant's safety. That would shake things up.

No cheers on this. Sorry you got caught in this bs.

I mean, anytime anyone pays for a parking spot...there is trade-in-kind for the assumption of various levels of protection, right?! Lots are safer than streets...structures safer than dirtlots...

...but if they charge for a spot at night, after business hours and the whole curbrushtime with the buses and commuters, what is anyone paying for? They don't NEED to circulate the spots for retail that is closed, this is ONLY a hassle for restaurant/bars and events and residents. Now I'm getting pissed.

You may have parked in a no parking area. They do enforce those long after the meter maids go home for the day. Many of these are needed so that building entrances, pedestrian walks, and fire hydrants are not blocked or other reasons.

Once again -- Gov. Snyder, Mayor Bing, Council, School Supt., and potential EFM's TAKE NOTE.

Make all city departments as efficient as parking enforcement and, voila, end of problems.

You blink and they gotcha. You 'think' and you're wrong. Imagine all the fine collections and blight abatement if building code violations were enforced with the same vigor and promptness. Imagine the same with the serving of warrants and delinquent tax collections.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    You may have parked in a no parking area. They do enforce those long after the meter maids go home for the day. Many of these are needed so that building entrances, pedestrian walks, and fire hydrants are not blocked or other reasons.
    Tks for the response. No I did not park in a restricted or no parking area. There were two cars in front of me and one in back of me. The nearest building entrance was at least 1/8 of a mile away and the only thing near me were open concrete steips leading toward the campus.

Not to mention the ghost employees probably on the COD payrolls - tucked away in some obscure crannies and corners getting checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Once again -- Gov. Snyder, Mayor Bing, Council, School Supt., and potential EFM's TAKE NOTE.

Make all city departments as efficient as parking enforcement and, voila, end of problems....
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-13 at 11:14 AM.

I dunno how your parking meters are in Detroit but in Montreal the limit is two hours on a charge, so if you are going to catch a movie or an event, chances are you need to exit the theatre and pay more or else get a ticket. Why not make them at least a three hour turnaround for folks to get their money's worth...

Also, as Gannon says, this whole post 6 pm charge is utter crapola.

Based on the story last week the city only collects about 9% of fines and you won't get booted until you run up a couple of hundred dollars, so what's the incentive to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill07073 View Post
    ... I thought you could park for free after 6:00PM on city streets and on the weekends except for very limited areas. ...
    Doesn't anyone look at parking meters to see when they are enforced? Because of revenue streams dwindling everywhere, many communities have changed the hours of enforcement that you have to read them. Detroit is no different. It only takes a few seconds to determine what is required where, especially after 6pm. Better to do that than risk the parking ticket!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Based on the story last week the city only collects about 9% of fines and you won't get booted until you run up a couple of hundred dollars, so what's the incentive to pay?
    After a certain threshold, six perhaps, they are able to restrict your ability to renew your license plate. It seems they don't often DO this, but it is in the mechanism if they choose to use it.

Trying to stay ahead of the bootman is incentive enough.

FYI - Even where there are no meters DO NOT park within 20' of a corner or within 30' of a stop sign. You can and will be ticketed.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    FYI - Even where there are no meters DO NOT park within 20' of a corner or within 30' of a stop sign. You can and will be ticketed.
    Great reminder.

From hearing a morning-full of testimony before the magistrate in parking court a few years back, they assume each sidewalk square is five feet and count 'em.

They also go after residents parking across the sidewalk in front of their home, and even blocking the apron of their OWN driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

Yes, I remember it well...

One of the great TV moments on Parking Wars of a detroiter getting ticketed for this offense.

Evidence that its possible for Detroit to be a real city. This is pretty normal around the world.

Remember too that the feds are closing off a lot of opportunities for corruption. Parking Departments have long been a great source of cash. Not just the change itself [[think Hamtramck meter fraud of a decade ago) -- but mostly for the other ways that parking is a great operation. Stealing meter cash is the old stand-by -- but don't forget the opportunities to issue contracts to operate lots, send out notices, and the like. Parking is fantastic business if you need to launder cash, too.

It sucks to get a parking ticket but chances are if you did you did something wrong. I never understand why people complain when they get caught in the wrong. How would the "meter maid" know that the driveway you are blocking is your own Gannon? So of course they ticket you for it.

Oh and cars hanging over sidewalks is one of my pet peeves so I love seeing them get tickets. What is a person in a wheel chair supposed to do when the sidewalk is blocked? It is one of the causes of my other pet peeve and that is people walking in the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Thank you for contributing to the revitalization of the city.

Your only hope at reducing the total amount of this tax is to pay it within the ten-day deadline as detailed in the tiniest printing on the ticket, on the back.
    Correct. If you pay your $20 parking ticket within ten days, it only costs $10. I just paid mine from Winter Blast on-line, and it was the most pleasurable, easiest time I've had with the City of Detroit in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Make all city departments as efficient as parking enforcement and, voila, end of problems.

You blink and they gotcha. You 'think' and you're wrong. Imagine all the fine collections and blight abatement if building code violations were enforced with the same vigor and promptness. Imagine the same with the serving of warrants and delinquent tax collections.
    Be careful. It's talk like that that will get you tossed off the threads.

Who in a wheel chair is using the sidewalk?! I see people all the time in wheel chairs in dark clothing rolling along Woodward in the street! At night too! Terrifies me to death to see that, or driving up upon them!

But to your broader point, yes, cars parked over sidewalks is a nuisance and against the law. They usually get the fastest tickets. No, it when your one minute of the meter time. You get it first!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Oh and cars hanging over sidewalks is one of my pet peeves so I love seeing them get tickets. What is a person in a wheel chair supposed to do when the sidewalk is blocked? It is one of the causes of my other pet peeve and that is people walking in the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-13 at 12:43 PM.

Wouldnt be such a thing as parking or driving or paved streets fit werent for Detroit. Youse guys all collectively brought about the rush on the automotive way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill07073 View Post
    Tks for the response. No I did not park in a restricted or no parking area. There were two cars in front of me and one in back of me. The nearest building entrance was at least 1/8 of a mile away and the only thing near me were open concrete steips leading toward the campus.
    Sounds like you were here:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=wayne...bp=12,225,,0,0 I'd do what Hamtragetty suggested, pay the $10 and try to learn from it. No sense getting all stressed out. Chances are that in a world of $50 hockey tickets and $11 beers it will be your cheapest expense for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Great reminder.

From hearing a morning-full of testimony before the magistrate in parking court a few years back, they assume each sidewalk square is five feet and count 'em.

They also go after residents parking across the sidewalk in front of their home, and even blocking the apron of their OWN driveway.
    Because you don't own that apron or the sidewalk. It's an easement. You are required to never block it and always keep it clean, shoveled, and free of debris. If I'm a taxpaying citizen of Detroit, that apron and sidewalk belongs to you, me, and everyone else and we expect you to keep it clear or pay a service fee to keep it occupied. Receiving a ticket for blocking it is technically not a fine, it's a service fee to pay your rent for occupying the spot.

I've seen elderly people slip and fall in the winter when trying to step around vehicles blocking the sidewalk or forcing people to walk in the road.

I remember a cop pulled up to me here in Chicago to ask why I was walking in the road. I said no one had shoveled there sidewalk and there's a parked vehicle in the way. Stopped by a friend's house and when I later came out, the car was being towed away and all the properties had $50 tickets to their doors for failing to maintain a clear path of travel for the public.

The way it should be. Do your part as a citizen, follow the rules or face penalties. Don't like it? Move.

And a $10 ticket is nothing. Seriously can I go to Detroit and park all day for the low price of a ticket? It's not like the big city tickets of $50.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-24-13 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast