Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit a contender for the 2024 Olympics?

Mayor Bing has been approached by the U.S. Olympic Committee to see if Detroit might be interested in submitting an application to host the 2024 Olympic Games. It is still a long way off, but is this even feasible?

Shollin Guest

Is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Is this a joke?
    You haven't been on this forum long enough to know that... The Rock... a retired lawyer... has not joked in a prankish sense... in the 10+ years he's posted here...

Why not? By then Detroit will be almost completely deserted [[450K max). They might even be able to make up new games, there will be room to do whatever the heart desires.

They sent out a form letter to 35 cities gauging interest:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...9usMTAglBe6Ssw

Actually it is not a joke, there has been a group [[Detroit 2024) pushing for an Olympic bid. I think the idea of an Olympic bid in not a bad idea, but 2024 is the wrong year. The city needs to get city hall and the management of the city fixed first. Maybe 2028, or 2032 woud be more realistic years to bid for.

Quote Originally Posted by tg_jessica View Post
    Actually it is not a joke, there has been a group [[Detroit 2024) pushing for an Olympic bid. I think the idea of an Olympic bid in not a bad idea, but 2024 is the wrong year. The city needs to get city hall and the management of the city fixed first. Maybe 2028, or 2032 woud be more realistic years to bid for.
    Yeah, Detroit actually doesn't have a terrible setup for this [[compared to what my friends back home are saying about Austin, which is crippled when there's a major event in town and which was also contacted by the IOC). Between Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Windsor, there are good facilities and it can be marketed as the first international Olympics [[as it pertains to hosting, obviously the Olympics are international). And the surrounding suburbs make for good places to house people as well and get them to the city quickly. I don't think it's absurd to put Detroit on the list of 35 cities to contact.

Now, where to get the $2-3B dollars is the issue...
    Last edited by TexasT; February-22-13 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tg_jessica View Post
    Yeah 2024, 2032 or 2064 even. I would like to live long enough to see the first 1 minute mile ran on the newest steroids.

Shollin Guest

Well there's the whole thing about a missing 80,000 seat olympic stadium and public transportation to get people from events.

Well there's the whole thing about a missing 80,000 seat olympic stadium and public transportation to get people from events.
    The Big House holds 110K, which is why I mentioned Ann Arbor [[LA used USC's stadium when it hosted the Olympics).

As to transportation, that's where the $2-3B comes in. That's what cities typically spend to prepare, whether it is shoring up public transit or building the necessary facilities. By 2024, the high speed train connecting AA to Detroit [[not to mention Chicago to Detroit, an added bonus) and the M1 rail from that rail to downtown will be in place for sure. I'd imagine the RTA, especially spurred by the coming Olympics, would have a more comprehensive transit strategy to offer in 11 years.

It's not about what it is like now. It's about what it would be and you need to prove you have means and willpower to get those things done in time.

I'm not saying Detroit is a top contender, just saying, it makes sense as a contender in general. You don't need to be a top-notch city to successfully hold the Olympics.
    Last edited by TexasT; February-22-13 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks. I needed the laugh at the end of a long week.....Olympics...LOL.

Shollin Guest

The big house would need millions of dollars of rennovations for it to become olympic ready. The stadium doesn't even have a track. Not too mention the cost to return it back to football. The most sane idea in this insane idea is to rip the roof off the Silverdome and use that.

Right, I was thinking this also. When Ilitch open his new Red Wings arena, will they still have to build another stadium for the Olympics or consider ones already here? The old Tiger Stadium site will fit perfect for a 80,000 seat Olympic stadium, Corktown district could become Olympic Village. Plenty of space and vacant land in the area, maybe rehab the MCS for hotel space too, requirements is to have over 80,000 hotels rooms in the area. But all this won't happen if the City Clowncil rejects it..smh.

Open air, because by 2024 Detroit will be almost completely open air.

The city cannot afford to keep street lights on, where are they going to get money to build an 80,000 seat stadium?
    No street lights? Adds more for the effects of the Olympic games.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; February-22-13 at 02:07 PM.

Shollin Guest

The city cannot afford to keep street lights on, where are they going to get money to build an 80,000 seat stadium?

The big house would need millions of dollars of rennovations for it to become olympic ready. The stadium doesn't even have a track. Not too mention the cost to return it back to football. The most sane idea in this insane idea is to rip the roof off the Silverdome and use that.
    Yes, which is why it typically costs between $2-3B to host the Olympics - to do things like that. The fact that something is not in Olympic-ready status right now isn't that big of a concern. LA used USC's stadium just fine.

Do you think the funds to finance Olympic renovations solely come from the host city's coffers? In the last US bid for the Olympics, Chicago purported to have the vast majority funded by private investment and the rest from state and federal money. More than just Detroit would be interested in having the Olympics come to the US and to Southeastern Michigan.

I think the financial issue is what would do Detroit in, FWIW. But it's not impossible. I think it would have a better chance than say, Tulsa, which is on the list.
    Last edited by TexasT; February-22-13 at 01:59 PM.

Michigan Stadium isn't close to being an Olympics-worthy stadium. For one, college football stadia are mostly bench seating.

And USC stadium wouldn't be considered nowadays. It was fine in 1932, and tolerable in 1984, but a nonstarter in the present.

The money comes from private sector and the Olympics committees...but your bringing up issues the city faces now, who knows how the city will be in 2024, it may have a perfect lighting system in place. Civic leadership can change by then...

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Michigan Stadium isn't close to being an Olympics-worthy stadium. For one, college football stadia are mostly bench seating.

And USC stadium wouldn't be considered nowadays. It was fine in 1932, and tolerable in 1984, but a nonstarter in the present.
    Los Angeles 2016 olympic bid used the coliseum. Of course it needed rennovations but it is still useable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Then you do what many other cities do. Build a temporary one.
    Last edited by TexasT; February-22-13 at 02:04 PM.

Why would they need to build one when they already have one?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why would they need to build one when they already have one?
    Because they don't have one

Is 80K a requirement? Because as recently as '04, the Olympic Stadium has held around 70K [[Athens). Ford Field holds 65K and can be expanded.

Note my saying that "they already have one".

Anyway, there are plenty of arguments against whether Detroit could host the Olympics. Lack of stadium venue is not one of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast