Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Not a joke: Cheesecake factory to open here....

...except it will be in Novi.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifest...medium=twitter

Having grown up in Detroit and watched my parents start their cheesecake business here in the 1950s, opening a Cheesecake Factory at Twelve Oaks feels like a true homecoming,” said David Overton, founder and CEO of The Cheesecake Factory.
    Yup... Novi is really a "homecoming". lol

To funny, let the jokes begin

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    To funny, let the jokes begin
    It's going to share space with House of Blues.

Hey, I live in Novi [[the home of over-priced gas and cement companies) and I welcome any factory that wants to move here. We can use the taxes.

What I don't get is why the same folks who are supposedly urbanites and super pro-downtown want Cheesecake Factory so desperately.

Cheesecake Factory sucks. It's just a chain restaurant from the Southern California suburbs, and is best known for gigantic, gut-busting portions from an encylopedic menu. It's quintessential suburbia, complete with lots of fat people, cheesy muzak and annoyingly perky servers.

Novi is the perfect demographic, and it should do well. I bet a second would go to Hall Rd./that new outdoor mall.

I think getting a Factory downtown has become a running joke on this site for about 10 yrs. It was everyone's partly tongue-in-cheek way of saying once the ultimate fast-growing chain comes we know the downtown comeback is for real. Now that we have several other new restaurants downtown I don't think anyone cares that much. I tried stopping at one in a suburban Chicago mall a couple of years ago. The place was packed with screaming kids and the tables were about 6 inches apart. We quickly bolted before ordering and went to a TGIF in the parking lot.

Now that the rift has been healed, and the prodigal son has returned after a long estrangement, my Cheesecake Factory loving friends tell me that when we get a Grand Lux Cafe, we will be totally revitalized as a city....... http://www.grandluxcafe.com/

yuck... double yuck...

This is unacceptable. Detroit must declare war on Novi. Lowell, assemble the International Congress of Detroityesians for a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...except it will be in Novi.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifest...medium=twitter

Yup... Novi is really a "homecoming". lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Novi is the perfect demographic, and it should do well. I bet a second would go to Hall Rd./that new outdoor mall.
    To be honest, I thought the first Michigan Cheesecake Factory location would be somewhere on Big Beaver Rd... Near PF Changs.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    To be honest, I thought the first Michigan Cheesecake Factory location would be somewhere on Big Beaver Rd... Near PF Changs.
    That would be a good location too. I thought of that, but Somerset doesn't appear to have major space available, though you could put it in a freestanding building.

Put one in Troy, one in Novi, one in Clinton Twp., and you've got the region's chain restaurant demographic locked up.

Also, the House of Blues in Novi is going to be the only suburban one in existence... One step forward, and two steps back? Now a lot of smaller musical acts will be playing out in Novi, too......

*** I am not counting the two Disney House of Blues or the Myrtle Beach one as suburban. The Myrtle Beach one is in N. Myrtle Beach, but is on the water. Maybe it is a suburban one, all the others are in urban downtowns, according to a quick view of the website.......Wonder if downtown Detroit had a shot? ***

That would be a good location too. I thought of that, but Somerset doesn't appear to have major space available, though you could put it in a freestanding building.

Put one in Troy, one in Novi, one in Clinton Twp., and you've got the region's chain restaurant demographic locked up.
    Absolutely Bham1982...although you might add Great Lakes Outlets in there as well. I originally thought it would be at Somerset, with the Compuware building to follow; however, I think Texas de Brazil is better at Compuware [[even though I wouldn't go to either one).

I think CF is a little upscale for Macomb County. Troy and Novi sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Also, the House of Blues in Novi is going to be the only suburban one in existence... One step forward, and two steps back? Now a lot of smaller musical acts will be playing out in Novi, too......

*** I am not counting the two Disney House of Blues or the Myrtle Beach one as suburban. The Myrtle Beach one is in N. Myrtle Beach, but is on the water. Maybe it is a suburban one, all the others are in urban downtowns, according to a quick view of the website.......Wonder if downtown Detroit had a shot? ***
    I think it was a joke.

And I don't know why you wouldn't "count" the existing suburban House of Blues. The one in Anaheim, for example, is open to the public and not on Disney parkland. It's in a suburban mall branded by Disney.

Just looking at the website, it seems that around half the House of Blues aren't located in downtowns. LA's location is on Sunset, in West Hollywood [[a suburb, and definitely car oriented, if dense). Then there's Vegas, Orlando, Anaheim, Myrtle Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post

Detroit should shoot for a B.B. Kings.

Shollin Guest

LOL cheesecake factory upscale for Macomb county

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think CF is a little upscale for Macomb County. Troy and Novi sounds about right.
    DEAD!!
    I would've thought Troy would have been the first location in Michigan. It also seems like Twelve Oaks is becoming serious competition for Somerset.

I'm not worried nor care anymore for the "Cheesecake factory" locating Downtown. Gilbert has 80-100 national and local retailers and restaurants debuting by 2015 when the lightrail is up and running. They will one day realize that they should of invested Downtown...not to mention Ilitch new entertainment/retail plans. So I'm over them taking so long to open one in the area, and not to consider Downtown was silly.

Novi can have the Cheesecake Factory. It will complement the cheesy Fountain Walk across the street.

I truthfully believe the suburbs has enough of everything the world can offer, why retailer continuing to open in the suburbs is no sense of marketing, competition, place, excitement, ...making a statement. I guess I don't get it....

[QUOTE=gthomas;368802I guess I don't get it....[/QUOTE]

Cheesecake Factory probably has this crazy notion of turning a profit. That, and Gilbert didn't offer millions to subsidize an empty [[except for special events) downtown location.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I truthfully believe the suburbs has enough of everything the world can offer, why retailer continuing to open in the suburbs is no sense of marketing, competition, place, excitement, ...making a statement. I guess I don't get it....
    Most notably among those things is the majority of the region's residents.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Most notably among those things is the majority of the region's residents.
    You forgot tax base too!

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    If you truly think suburban Detroit has enough of everything the world can offer... I feel sad for you. You should get out more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast