Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where to buy stone-ground grits in Detroit?

I'm attempting to make a recipe with my Southern-born wife that calls for stone-ground white grits. Problem: we've already hit up three grocery stores in the 'burbs and all they have is Quaker Oats instant grits or five-minute grits. Even Meijer, despite having a "Southern" section in their "World Foods" aisle didn't have any real grits. I'm hoping there's someplace out there in Detroit [[or metro Detroit) that has what I'm looking for. Help?

There is a gristmill stall at Eastern Market on Saturdays. It is in Shed Three. Various fresh cornmeals available. This is the cornmeal that you have to store in the freezer as it contains the germ. It is not processed like the supermarket stuff. It is organic and has a superior taste.

Thanks, SWMAP. I'll definitely check them out.

Actually, Trader Joe's has carried them recently. Bought a 14oz. bag of "Trader Joe's Stone Ground White Grits". Reasonably priced, too. I got the bag at the one in Grosse Pointe. I'm just not sure if it's one of their short-term items or not.

As a mainly life-long Detroiter, I hated grits until I was grown and married and started visiting my in-laws in Charleston, SC, after they retired there. My God, are real grits fantastic. With the current foodie movement, the one cuisine we're missing is low-country cooking. I could go for some shrimp and grits right now.

I adore grits but don't like the bleached white 'instant' low-nutrient stuff, so I do 'Polenta' aka yellow grits. Not sure what I purchase is stone-ground but there is a brand called Bob's Red Mill that you can find at Nature Food Patch on 9 mile in Ferndale. Love it! Just requires a bit more time and stirring for grits or it gets solid entering the Italian Polenta rhelm of the corn dish.

Red Mill brand comes in organic or non-organic. Sometimes you can even find it Bob's Red Mill grains and beans products at Big Lots of all places.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-13 at 09:47 PM.

I'm getting hungry thinking about it : ) Fried catfish and grits with butter and a pitcher of lemonade! Yes, I grew up on the white bleached stuff and like those but the yellow grits are best and better for you!

I couldn't find any at Trader Joes, either the Royal Oak or their Gross Pointe store. I'm all set now having found them at Nature Food Patch [[Ferndale).

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    My God, are real grits fantastic. With the current foodie movement, the one cuisine we're missing is low-country cooking. I could go for some shrimp and grits right now.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-13 at 09:40 PM.

Agreed, yellow grits are best. We always bring a couple of bags home from Charleston with us. But even the stone ground white grits we get there are good. Definitely not bleached - just a different corn variety, I believe. And we usually go for polenta, too, when we run out.

It is amazing how such a simple food can be made to taste so good. I like it with just a little butter, salt & pepper. Crumbled bacon isn't bad either.

Welcome to Detroityes Pete!

Yes, perhaps they are from white corn. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Agreed, yellow grits are best. We always bring a couple of bags home from Charleston with us. But even the stone ground white grits we get there are good. Definitely not bleached - just a different corn variety, I believe. And we usually go for polenta, too, when we run out.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    It is amazing how such a simple food can be made to taste so good. I like it with just a little butter, salt & pepper. Crumbled bacon isn't bad either.
    EVERYTHING taste's better with bacon in it.