Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bulk Middle East/ Bangladesh/ Indian Market, Grocer Hamtramck?

Can someone please recommend a market/ grocer in Hamtramck where I can get bulk items like fresh parsley, basmati Rice in the 3-5 pound bag, red lentils and other dried peas and beans by the bag or scoopful, ground garlic, currie, tumeric etc? The kinds of foods related to Middle East, Bangladesh, or Indian cooking.

I know and have favorite spots in Dearborn, Canton, etc. but looking for something closer for a change in the city or Hamtramck.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-13 at 11:07 AM.

Seems like bulk basmati is a staple at most of the places I've seen. Try Bishr at the corner of Carpenter and Conant for bins full of the spices you've mentioned. They also have butter ghee [[a common base), and herbs. if you go here you have to try the chicken from behind the counter, [[best in town). Oh, and the butcher here supplies many of the restaurants in Dearborn.

Down the street, next to Zam Zam, south of Commor on Conant has bulk items as well, including fish. The spice store on Campau accross from the Grandy's Coney Island has bulk items, buy not herbs. [[or at least used to)

Great! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it all. Would be nice not to drive far to get these items. Thank you, this sounds like a grand start!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Can someone please recommend a market/ grocer in Hamtramck where I can get bulk items like fresh parsley, basmati Rice in the 3-5 pound bag, red lentils and other dried peas and beans by the bag or scoopful, ground garlic, currie, tumeric etc? The kinds of foods related to Middle East, Bangladesh, or Indian cooking.

I know and have favorite spots in Dearborn, Canton, etc. but looking for something closer for a change in the city or Hamtramck.
    Al-Haramine market. 3306 Caniff. Kiddy corner, across the street from Bozeks. They have what you're looking for, produce is fresh, prices are great. It's like a mini Super Greenland.

^^^ Really? Al-Haramine... Greenland in Dearborn is my favorite. The one on Warren and Miller Rd, the original site of the Apollo Theater! Thanks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-13 at 12:21 PM.

^^^ Really? Al-Haramine... Greenland in Dearborn is my favorite. The one on Warren and Miller Rd, the original site of the Apollo Theater! Thanks.
    Yes, we've had this discussion before, and you insatiable addiction to garlic paste. Don't expect fancy @ Al-Haramine, though. Let me know how you like the store. It wasn't the Appolo Theatre, it used to be the Camelot Theatre.

Yes, Camelot! Garlic and curries anything for sure me loves! That's cool, some of the most really crammed up, creaking floors, stuff in crates, crooked shelf, sorta old world feel places are the best!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-13 at 01:19 PM.

Yes, Camelot! Garlic and curries anything for sure me loves! That's cool, some of the most really crammed up, creaking floors, stuff in crates, crooked shelf, sorta old world feel places are the best!
    Then you'll LOVE it!

The Little Asia market on 3rd at Forest has all that stuff.

No well actually the do not, but they have some things... I think they moved up on Anthony Wayne right on WSU campus didn't they? What joke to find a place to park there. Uh, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The Little Asia market on 3rd at Forest has all that stuff.