Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Eagle on Belle Isle

Yesterday on a drive around Belle Isle this was what I saw...

Name:  Eagle on Belle Isle Detroit_v1_.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  18.1 KB

Unfortunately, I was only able to get a little video before he flew off, but it was still cool to see this bird. Here's the link to my blog, if anyone wants to check out a couple other photos and the video.
    -DVD

^^^ Great shot. What timing to catch such a rare sighting!

Very cool pics and video...thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I was pretty happy with literally stumbling upon the eagle. Extra lucky that after I took a few photos, he only moved up the road a bit and gave me a second look!
    -DVD

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post
    Yesterday on a drive around Belle Isle this was what I saw...

Name:  Eagle on Belle Isle Detroit_v1_.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  18.1 KB

Unfortunately, I was only able to get a little video before he flew off, but it was still cool to see this bird. Here's the link to my blog, if anyone wants to check out a couple other photos and the video.
    -DVD
    Great shot! How VERY cool they're hanging around Belle Isle. Nice website too.

I saw one in bloomfield hills a couple of years ago. as far as I can tell, they are just "passing through." what an incredible site.

Let's hope for a few nesting pairs

if eagles are nesting in belle isle, couldn't the park qualify for some type of special grants for environmental maintenance, upgrades?

Gives me goose bumps. Beautiful sight and thanks for sharing.

It makes me want to go look for nests. There are several by my cabin. Typically high up and huge. I've seen em even nesting on utility poles of all places.

Keep in mind that Belle isle is a major migratory point. It may be hard to tell if they bird is actually living there or passing though. There are other raptors though that live in the area, even at the Buhl and Guardian Buildings. [[Well other raptors besides the lawyers and politicos! )

There are nesting eagles out in Belleville. They live in Van Buren Park. We used to live on the lake and see them all the time. I hope the one in the picture lives in the Belle Isle area.

Great pic! The eagle is a true image of our country and government. Don't let the city council find out about this or they will want it removed.

Great find
    I saw a baby and its mother a few years ago on a gold course/ The baby was eating while the mom kept a close eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    There are nesting eagles out in Belleville. They live in Van Buren Park. We used to live on the lake and see them all the time. I hope the one in the picture lives in the Belle Isle area.
    very cool

This IS the start of nesting season - when eagles establish their home turfs. Furthest south I've seen an aerie was around Saginaw, and that was about 5 years ago. let's dangle a lot of fish out there to attract a few more nesting pairs

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    very cool. Llet's dangle a lot of fish out there to attract a few more nesting pairs
    How about one meaty council woman with an attitude about "stealing our jewels"... that'll tempt a flock of Eagles....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How about one meaty council woman with an attitude about "stealing our jewels"... that'll tempt a flock of Eagles....
    The American Bald Eagle is an endangered and protected species. Threatening them or attemping to harm them in any way, is a Federal offense. Besides, I think it'll just scare them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The American Bald Eagle is an endangered and protected species. Threatening them or attemping to harm them in any way, is a Federal offense. Besides, I think it'll just scare them off.
    LOL... you're absolutely right.... that would be akin to putting up a scarecrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    unfortunately, maybe this one

Name:  Flock of Seagulls.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  29.0 KB

And I ran, I ran so far away.
    I just ran, I ran all night and day.
    I couldn't get away.

Great photos, DVD.

Glad you all liked the pics!

Never thought my eagle sighting would lead to that eighties song getting stuck in my head! lol I had to stop and think... "Flock of Eagles?" nahhh. oh yeah, that other bird!

Saw one several times, two years ago, on daily walks at a lakeside park in St. Clair Shores. It was a beautiful sight. Missed him last year. I hope to see this one, soon.

Can anyone tell me what kind of an eagle that is? What a great experience seeing it. Ive only seen one free Eagle in my life but that was in Dutch Harbor.

I, too, was on Belle Isle yesterday morning around 8ish, and saw this bird fly over the road right in front of me. Thought it was an eagle, but couldn't believe that's what I was seeing. Anyways, he didn't give me a good second look, as he landed on some ice in the river and floated along for awhile. Happy that someone was able to get a picture!

There are other eagles in Wayne County. Down in the far Southwestern corner, next to the Carleton landfill is a large protected area, called Crosswinds Marsh. I go there several times a week to walk my dog.
    There are two large nests, one on the North end and one on the south end.
    The winter is the best time to see them because it is when they lay their eggs and stay near the nests. I've seen them divebomb the water and grab a fish with their claws. Occasionally, they will fly right over your head allowing you to witness their awesome grace and beauty.
    Truly a blessed site.

I've been told of sightings of yearling bald eagles near cranbrook, kensington and stoney creek

Great news. I never understood why the Detroit area wasn't home to more Eagles. They have plenty of food options and a abundance of water and fish. I see Red-Tail Hawks on a daily basis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast