Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Interesting article on the cycle of abandonment and blight.

Agreed, along with the city council and mayor that casually sat back as it happened and did nothing whatsoever to address the issue.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; February-17-13 at 10:09 PM.

Cool with me.

Throw the county sheriff with scrap dealers as campaign contributors and legislature that wouldn't even bring anti scrapping bills to a vote on the rack with anyone else.

Thanks for the link. An excellent article and one that points out the usual suspects are not always the usual scapegoats.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Cool with me.

Throw the county sheriff with scrap dealers as campaign contributors and legislature that wouldn't even bring anti scrapping bills to a vote on the rack with anyone else.
    Amen. So many people are responsible but never held accountable.

I'd go with setting up stocks and sentencing them to a week. Hell, in this country it would become a major tourist attraction

Another article dealing with a different blight and abandonment.

It's Chicago not Detroit, but it's always interesting to hear your troubles from the mouth of someone different.

Actually it's crazy just how similar the very recent problems Chicago is facing to Detroit when it seems like it would be so much more prepared.

-There is an attempt to destroy Chicagos public school system. I'd say DPS was effectively castrated 15 years ago.

-Pooling of police resources around downtown. Although under Bing it's more like NOWHERE gets city services.

-Neighborhoods of Chicago are no man's land with scrapping problems. That one actually kinda shocked me.

-Chicago seems to have replaced Detroit, or at least joined it, as the medias whipping boy when it comes to violence and unemployed black men.

i used to think scrappers were the biggest problem. Strip the metal & leave the house open and its basically worthless. Second thought though, the housing stock just got old and wasn't necessarily cared for the way it needed to be.