Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Statler Hotel Memories

What are some of your memories or thoughts of the Statler Hotel from when it was still open?

The only memories I have of the Statler are from my grandpa telling me about the bar and the Terrace Room [[which later became the Surrey Room and Beef Baron). He said that he and my grandmother would have dinner at the Terrace Room and then see a show at one of the near by movie palaces for a romantic evening.
    Last edited by Eric; July-01-09 at 11:42 PM.

Here is a lot of good information on the Stater from the forgottendetroit website:

http://www.forgottendetroit.com/statler/index.html

Lorax Guest

My grandparents had their wedding ceremony at the Terrace Room, and my grandmother's favorite drink came from there, it was called an "Angel Tip". I have no idea what was in it, or how it was made. It was my grandmother's second husband, and the ceremony was in 1939. Our mom was born in the 20's, so it was her step-father.

Met a friend, Jan, who I haven't seen in 40 years there. Eric Burdon and The Animals, and Herman's Hermits were staying there while in town for a show at Olympia, with the Tidal Waves opening.
    A long time ago......

Since the Statler Hotel closed around 1975 [[nearly 35 years go), there are few posters here who have personal memories of the hotel.... only anecdotal stories from previous generation family members.

Wasn't there a Trader Vic's in the hotel or some other Tiki type restaurant/lounge?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Since the Statler Hotel closed around 1975 [[nearly 35 years go), there are few posters here who have personal memories of the hotel.... only anecdotal stories from previous generation family members.

Wasn't there a Trader Vic's in the hotel or some other Tiki type restaurant/lounge?
    Yes, a Trader Vic's.