Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone else having issues with using non USA ASCII codes on DetroitYES....

In the Papal discussion on Non-Detroit Issues... I'm encountering a problem that I seem to be having elsewhere....

Using German Umlauts.... [[holding down the ALT key and then typing in the 3 character ASCII code on the side number keypad) works for 2 of the 3 German characters....

ALT 129 ===> ü
    ALT 132 ===> ä
    but when I try ALT 148... it doesn't give me the "o" with the umlauts... it takes me out of the post screen and back to the DYES Forum thread list.

I tried Googling this problem to see if it is an issue elsewhere... but no luck. Can anyone else do the ALT 148 and get the letter "o" with umlauts?

My workaround is to do a cut/paste from elsewhere of this... such as here.... ö

But it seems that ALT 148 should work... but doesn't... at least not for me.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-15-13 at 03:26 AM.

It doesn't work for you because you we're mean to it.

If you weren't such a prick and talk behind its back, you wouldn't have this problem. It is your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    In the Papal discussion on Non-Detroit Issues... I'm encountering a problem that I seem to be having elsewhere....

Using German Umlauts.... [[holding down the ALT key and then typing in the 3 character ASCII code on the side number keypad) works for 2 of the 3 German characters....

ALT 129 ===> ü
    ALT 132 ===> ä
    but when I try ALT 148... it doesn't give me the "o" with the umlauts... it takes me out of the post screen and back to the DYES Forum thread list.

I tried Googling this problem to see if it is an issue elsewhere... but no luck. Can anyone else do the ALT 148 and get the letter "o" with umlauts?

My workaround is to do a cut/paste from elsewhere of this... such as here.... ö

But it seems that ALT 148 should work... but doesn't... at least not for me.
    I just tried it here and it worked for me. ö

Worked for me, too. I use Chrome, if that helps. ö

Have you tried hitting your NumLock key?

Thanks Jimaz!! That did the trick... for some reason the other 2 umlauts work with or without the NumLock key...

And thank to you too Gnome... you have all the subtlety of an Elephants Prick.... lol

[[Gnome and I meet at the company picnic's and go way back... and you like him a lot at first but he soon talks you out of it!)

Thanks Jimaz!! That did the trick... for some reason the other 2 umlauts work with or without the NumLock key...
    You're most welcome, Gistok. Happy to help.

It was a common problem on another website that relied heavily on the numeric keypad. It was taking the "4" of your "148" as a left arrow. Alt left-arrow does the same as the back button in Internet Explorer.

...[[Gnome and I meet at the company picnic's and go way back... and you like him a lot at first but he soon talks you out of it!)
    I've noticed. But he still has some redeeming qualities, which I'm sure irks him to no end! LOL!

Thanks Jimaz... yes I was posting on other sites... and it caused exactly what you said... I'd be posting on a German Website... and then bamn!! When I did the ö it would take me out of what I was typing... and I would lose all my work... very frustrating.

That's why I didn't think it was a DYes problem, but this was the best place to find what I was doing wrong...

Gracias Jimaz!!

And as for Gnome...
    He's a softy at heart... and makes a damn good homemade Apple Pie! Yum....

This is a good opportunity to remind people that, just because their problem is easily solved, it's not their fault that it happened. Sometimes the design of the system itself is the real culprit.

Another example is the Insert key. With merely one errant keystroke, that key can throw the whole keyboard into Replace mode, an unexpected behavior that persists. This is a faulty design.

Also, in XP, Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map gives access to all of these exotic characters.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-15-13 at 11:39 PM.

Jimaz... the most difficult word I've had trouble with was this Hungarian name of a town [[longest in Hungary)... Hódmezövásárhelykutasipuszta

The crazy part is that I can actually pronounce it... which is nothing like it looks!!

üäö no problem here.

I can never remember how to type those, so when I need one, I google umlaut and then copy and paste from the unlaut-ed letters I find there.

Grüße aus Detroit!