Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Motor City Management Group

Does anyone have any insight about this company?

I have a phone interview with them tomorrow... Once I secure a job, I plan to move back to Detroit from NYC.

Thanks.

http://www.motorcitymanagementgroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by metadetroit View Post

I have a phone interview with them tomorrow... Once I secure a job, I plan to move back to Detroit from NYC.

Thanks.

It sounds like some kind of call center. The review makes makes me think of something between the movie Boiler Room and a door-to-door Filter Queen vacuum salesman. I googled it and got this on the first page from a former account executive:
    Cons – Door to Door sales, especially now in the winter
    VERY Unprofessional
    Awful location
    Teach you to lie to customers

Advice to Senior Management – Stop lying and developing young professionals into criminals

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Emp...VW2098001.htm#

Seems like it's a pretty social place from their FB feed:

http://www.facebook.com/MotorCityManagementGroup

They and their employees are out and about all over the place.

Yes, be careful! There's tons over-night consultants, PR and 'marketing' entities and folks running scams and commission-based 'fantastic business opportunities'. There are certain hallmarks of this kind of thing; like 'group' interviews and promises that are far to good to be true!

If you email someone your resume on a Saturday and they respond on say Sunday evening it's usually a scam. Legitimate companies respond to employment emails M-Friday. Legit companies and agencies rarely discuss salary figures via email having not seen you.

Take company name and add the word 'scam' or 'fraud', then google it. That kind of search can be very revealing.

Make sure they have a real domain address with their email, not just 'who-hahs-dynamic-business-solutions@gmail.com!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-14-13 at 02:12 PM.

Is this a rush of new employees pending to be paid, say less than six month worth of time salary ala active payrolls? I like to see the long view of staff not the sudden crush.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Seems like it's a pretty social place from their FB feed:

http://www.facebook.com/MotorCityManagementGroup

They and their employees are out and about all over the place.

I hadn't heard of this shop, but consulting jobs appeal to people who are comfortable being on the run/aiding companies etc and not glued to the same cubicle year round. There likely will be opportunities for travel etc.

I would focus on lead generation in your questions. Coming into their company, what projects would you be working on in the next six months? Whose responsibility is it to drum up new business, that of the consultant or the senior manager/parter? What methods do they use to grow the business? What are the learning opportunities? CPE? etc.

Think of interviews being about you peppering them with questions about their business model - not you responding to behavior questions starting with tell me about a time when someone wasn't pulling their weight. Those are the companies you should run from in an interview.

I'd be very leary to move from NYC to Dearborn for a job that appears to have been in business for less than half a year unless they're offering a huge sign on bonus. It says it's a "new branch", but there's no other branches listed in the motor city. http://www.motorcitymanagementgroup.com/

Motor City Management Group Hits The Ground Running ​The launch of the new branch is all the company is talking about and they're ready to turn ideas into actions, into results. September 18, 2012​

Be very careful! This company was only registered with the State of Michigan in September of last year. There is only 1 person listed on the LLC papers. No "group" of people. It is not located in Detroit, but in Dearborn. Just saying....

Many of the "LIKES" on their Facebook page seem to be other offices they just opened in other markets. Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Miami. No clear indication of what they do other that grow...sounds like cancer.

From their Mission Statement:

"Our mission is to expand our client base and locations throughout the country in order to offer a universal approach that is unmatched. Our goal for this coming year is for the organization to triple in size so we can accommodate our client’s growing needs and so we can also provide more opportunity for our employees."

They should proofread better. If I read this correctly, since they say "client's growing needs" rather than "clients' growing needs" they are saying that they only have one client.

I received both a call and and email from them based on an on-line resume. I am always very leery of such "opportunities." They tend to do cattle calls, show an incredibly rosy picture of how much you might make, when the truth comes out, it ain't so purty

Thanks.

It's a scam!!!! Search their phone number online and you'll see that "Motor City Management Group" is also "One Source Provider" and "Think Management Group" and probably several other generic sounding companies.

From what I read about them online they are just fly by night recruiters for door to door sales positions. You can see several posts for [[One Source Provider" at Ripoffreport.com that detail some of their shenanigans.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-14-13 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks to all. That's why I love this forum. I cancelled my interview with them.

I'm still looking at other opportunists. Anything related to: Business, news, media, real estate, startups, tv/film production etc.

Also, I'd much rather work in Detroit city or South Oakland County [[ferndale, royal oak, Southfield) anyway...
    Last edited by metadetroit; February-15-13 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks to all. That's why I love this forum. I cancelled my interview with them.

I'm still looking at other opportunists. Anything related to: Business, news, media, real estate, startups, tv/film production etc.

Also, I'd much rather work in Detroit city or South Oakland County [[ferndale, royal oak, Southfield) anyway...
    There's always QL

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post

They should proofread better. If I read this correctly, since they say "client's growing needs" rather than "clients' growing needs" they are saying that they only have one client.
    Agree. Here's the first paragraph of the founder's bio:

Brad Burke was Born and raised in Saint Louis, Missouri. Brad moved to Missouri to attend Missouri State University, where he earned his B.A. in Business Administration while playing football and lacrosse for the school.
    He was Born and raised [[notice how they capitalize the "B") in Missouri, before he moved to Missouri to attended college.

Yep, just the usual garden-variety scam, web scum.