Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State of the City 2/13/2013

Since Today, the mayor will be delivering his state of the City address, I figured it would be a good idea to create a thread dedicated to the address.

I will head over to the Detroit School of Arts to hear what he has to say. I'm sure that it will be streamed live online. So I hope that when it's over, there's plenty of commentary on what he's saying and what he's going to do.

Yes, I'm going to enjoy the scripted speech Kriss Andrews wrote for him.

I'm also going to enjoy the people in the audience who were paid to cheer him on.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-13-13 at 03:37 PM.

Other than the announcement of Detroit's appointment to the regional transit board this speech is useless to me.

Bing has done nothing. Let him ramble and condescend in the old folks home he belongs in.

This is going to be a magical speech. He appears to be standing alone, talking at a podium.

It's incredible. How do all those suburban businesspeople manage to still jam their hands far up enough his ass to make him talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This is going to be a magical speech. He appears to be standing alone, talking at a podium.

It's incredible. How do all those suburban businesspeople manage to still jam their hands far up enough his ass to make him talk?
    if what you say about Suburban business people is true, why isn't Detroit doing what the suburban businesspeople want? You think they would get more for their efforts, if what you say is true

He's going to be announcing a blight initiative and plans to reuse or demolish Fisher Body. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    if what you say about Suburban business people is true, why isn't Detroit doing what the suburban businesspeople want? You think they would get more for their efforts, if what you say is true
    In what substantial way is Detroit not doing what businesspeople want? Gilbert is getting his useless parking shuttle in lieu of an actual transit project. Ilitch is getting his tax-subsidized hockey arena to go with his tax-subsidized baseball park, and the city will pay to knock down any building he no longer feels like maintaining. Meijer's and Whole Foods are getting tax breaks to locate here just so people will stop snarking about the lack of chain groceries in the city. GM cashed in a few years ago by threatening to move the HQ to Warren, aided by useful idiot Jim Fouts. Hantz [[not a suburbanite, granted) is getting his land.

To the extent that businesspeople are dissatisfied with Detroit's government, it's because the city is dysfunctional in general, not because it's unresponsive to business interests. It's a lot more responsive to business interests than it is to Detroiters.
    Last edited by antongast; February-13-13 at 06:51 PM.

What dimension does Bing think Detroiters are living in? Not one word about the deaths of our citizens related to the lack of public safety. Not one word about the inevitable state takeover. Not one word addressing the fear and disappointment.

This is why I don't bother writing lengthy rants about Bing. It's like he's just not living in the same Detroit I am and can't even bring himself to fake it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    What dimension does Bing think Detroiters are living in? Not one word about the deaths of our citizens related to the lack of public safety. Not one word about the inevitable state takeover. Not one word addressing the fear and disappointment.

This is why I don't bother writing lengthy rants about Bing. It's like he's just not living in the same Detroit I am and can't even bring himself to fake it anymore.
    Not that I'm a staunch Bing supporter, but aren't they all the same? Past Mayors, Presidents, Governors, all give the "look what we've done" speech, whether it's relevant to regular people's lives or not. The place could be on fire and they talk about how warm and toasty everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    He's going to be announcing a blight initiative and plans to reuse or demolish Fisher Body. So there's that.
    How's Bing talking about knocking down Fisher Body when he hasn't lived up to his promise that he'd have the Brewster Projects razed by the end of 2012? We ought to be concentrating on knocking down dangerous houses near schools.

They should have re-named it "The State of the Shitty" address. As long as those clowns are running the city, nothing will change. I was done with them when they let the Belle Isle proposal lapse.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-14-13 at 11:15 AM.

Good news: $10m of waste eliminated by outsourcing payroll. Wow, $10m. [[A typical payroll check costs about $1.00 to process all-in. 10,000 employees, x 52 checks at worst = $520,000 total cost -- let's round to $1m, naw, let's round to $2m. See http://smallbusiness.chron.com/avera...eck-12035.html So the city was spending about 5 times what it needed to spend on this rather than on city services.)

Bad news: What too so long to figure this out.

Except for the racial celebration moment which has no place in government and tossing blame for problems at the State, it was a good speech. Detroit and Bing have a lot to be proud of -- nothings perfect and a lot of massive problems remain -- but I'm encouraged by the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Other than the announcement of Detroit's appointment to the regional transit board this speech is useless to me.

Bing has done nothing. Let him ramble and condescend in the old folks home he belongs in.
    I'm glad that he finally appointed someone to the regional transit board. I'm really going to have to get in contact with our representative on that board, when it comes to how they are going to manage the RTA here.

However, when it comes to DDOT, he really is not doing enough. The text system being used, to keep track of the buses has its limits. It is not always accurate, and without continuous updates, it will be no better than the paper bus schedules that are issued at the libraries.

As for transit police, there should be plain-clothed and uniformed police officers on the buses. The only time I see the transit police, is on the People Mover Downtown, or at the Rosa Parks Transit Center. We need the transit police to be at the State Fair Transit Center as well. With the opening of a Meijer at the fairgrounds, there will be a need for security and easier access to the transit center from there.

I would suggest that improvements be made to the SFTC. Similar to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, since most SMART buses will only go as far as that, having passengers transfer to DDOT buses when they cross 8 mile.

Also, I would remember the time when DDOT buses between 3 and 4 pm would pass up DPS students that have to catch the bus home, as a policy of maintaining order on the bus. I can't blame the drivers for doing this considering the lack of maturity of DPS students shown on the buses.

So what I would suggest is that during those hours, that DDOT not only has a plain-clothed and/or uniformed police officer on the bus, but also to reserve buses for the students during peak time hours. Another suggestion I would like to make, is to make the buses that run at peak times stop only at transfer points along the routes.

When I was in high school at Cass, there used to be a route called the Grand River Limited. The bus got me to school and home, faster than the local buses would, running at peak time hours. We need to bring back those Limited routes. Especially on Woodward, with the buses always crowded.

There was no discussion on how the Mayor would accommodate those that use bicycles as a means of transportation, not even paying lip service to the subject. With the lack thereof of reasonable public transportation, more people that are unable to afford vehicles or are unable to drive for various reasons, are reverting to riding bicycles. An important reason for this, is because the buses aren't running on time, and the waiting times are too long.

I hope to get in contact with our representative on the Regional Transit Authority soon. I will agree that this is one of the positive things that came out of the State of the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Good news: $10m of waste eliminated by outsourcing payroll. Wow, $10m. [[A typical payroll check costs about $1.00 to process all-in. 10,000 employees, x 52 checks at worst = $520,000 total cost -- let's round to $1m, naw, let's round to $2m. See http://smallbusiness.chron.com/avera...eck-12035.html So the city was spending about 5 times what it needed to spend on this rather than on city services.)

Bad news: What too so long to figure this out.

Except for the racial celebration moment which has no place in government and tossing blame for problems at the State, it was a good speech. Detroit and Bing have a lot to be proud of -- nothings perfect and a lot of massive problems remain -- but I'm encouraged by the progress.
    I was at SOTC address last night, and my only comment is this. Any policy decision out of City Hall -- regardless of who the mayor is -- will take 12-18 months to implement and even longer to for the effects to have impact.

Think about that for a second. No matter who gets elected Mayor, any decision he/she makes will take 1-2 years before the impact is felt.

The Detroit Blight Authority is a great example of this. Who knows how long this took to put together. Presumably a year or more. They're just now getting started. And they have a whole city to work on.

So let's just be realistic. Many of us are living in a warzone. But it's like we're in a warzone in 1800s Russia but our supervisors are shipping things by courier and by boat from Washington DC. Many of us are desperate for help. But even if the Mayor [[or Governor) were to do the things we need starting tomorrow, it's still gonna be 6-12 months before the first person sees any benefit plus another 1-2 yrs before it gets all the way to the people.

Whoever is sitting in the chair after Bing, my concern is that he's laying down the infrastructure to restructure and build the pipeline to deliver services better.

Yes, during the time the pipeline is getting built, many will cry out of desperation for help. But it will be worth it once the pipeline is fully connected and we can start demolishing blight at one block per week instead of one house per month.

Bing is so deadpan, I wondered if there was someone holding up cue cards to tell everyone to applaud after all of his announcements. Nothing new - nothing about the EFM, I doubt he'll be around next term, so he is just talking to talk.
    And now we know the land around Eastern Mrkt, Edison School, was just cleared to stop blight. Okay, that was good. Take a ride out Grand River, Warren Ave. Michigan Ave. Gratiot - or better yet, get off a freeway where you are unfamiliar with the neighborhood and hope you can get back on in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Yes, during the time the pipeline is getting built, many will cry out of desperation for help.
    Or just join the exodus out of the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Or just join the exodus out of the City.
    The suburbs aren't much of an alternative. However, I know that leaving the state, would speak volumes not just for Detroit, but for everyone in Michigan that the way that business is being done isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    The suburbs aren't much of an alternative. However, I know that leaving the state, would speak volumes not just for Detroit, but for everyone in Michigan that the way that business is being done isn't working.
    I agree with you there, but @ least you aren't paying through the nose watching other City areas being developed, while you aren't getting services. Still waiting for "The Big Comeback".

As far as leaving the State To "show 'em", the exodus from MI has been going on for quite a while now too. Both the City and the State seem to have a long learning curve.

I agree with you there, but @ least you aren't paying through the nose watching other City areas being developed, while you aren't getting services. Still waiting for "The Big Comeback".

As far as leaving the State To "show 'em", the exodus from MI has been going on for quite a while now too. Both the City and the State seem to have a long learning curve.
    I'd have to agree.

Hey guys, I was looking for the DetroitYes forum, but I think I accidentally clicked on DetroitNo.

Anyway that anyone here has a link to DetroitYes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Hey guys, I was looking for the DetroitYes forum, but I think I accidentally clicked on DetroitNo.

Anyway that anyone here has a link to DetroitYes?
    Just click your heels three times and repeat after me "there's no place like Detroit, there's no place like Detroit, there's no place like Detroit..........."

You're bitter, I get it. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    And now we know the land around Eastern Mrkt, Edison School, was just cleared to stop blight. Okay, that was good. Take a ride out Grand River, Warren Ave. Michigan Ave. Gratiot - or better yet, get off a freeway where you are unfamiliar with the neighborhood and hope you can get back on in a hurry.
    So Bing didn't solve every problem. The question is did he solve some problems? Did he solve enough problems.

Its oh, so early to criticize. Very hard to get things done. Ask Pugh. Everyone wants to make a difference. Few can.

Bing's far from great -- but he seems to be doing alright. And as CTY said earlier, you'll only see the results of what he's done in about 12-18 months. We do ourselves real hard by tearing apart every politician for not doing things our way and getting results NOW. If Bing's responsible for outsourcing payroll to ADP and taking the cost per check from around $20 per check down to $1 or $2 per check saving a reported $10m a year. He's doing exactly what he should do. If we overpaid payroll by $10m a year for the last decade, that was $100m dollars that could have been doing something productive.

I'd rather see dull and effective than glamorous and corrupt.

Just click your heels three times and repeat after me "there's no place like Detroit, there's no place like Detroit, there's no place like Detroit..........."
    Hahahahahahahaha!

Serious response, though, there are tons of places to post negative drivel free of actual, you know, content, like the Freep comments, news comments, Deadline Detroit comments, and so on and so on.

It'd be like going to a Spartans forum and posting "Go Blue" all day. It adds nothing and is just a dick move.

Your turn, Nancy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast