Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default DetroitDad Blogging in Campus Martius

I figured it was about time I started my own blog. It's a work in progress. I figured I'd give it a go for six months and see how it goes. What do you folks think so far? If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know. I always appreciate spelling and grammar critiques, if you happen to see a problem.

http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogspot.com/

Here is a copy of the first post;

International Freedom Festival

Today is the day of the Freedom Festival Fireworks, and Campus Martius is abuzz with activity. Campus Martius Park is a perfect example of what an urban park ought to be. As I move my chair and table under the shady trees of the South Garden, I take note of all the sparrows and pigeons chirping and cooing. Behind me the gush of a waterfall can be heard, helping to drown out the sounds of traffic. The park is surrounded by beautiful gardens, flowers in full bloom.

A few tables over, a man is taking pictures of the surrounding buildings. The ensemble of many buildings that surround Campus Martius Park making it feel like some grand outdoor room. Across the South lawn, I can see kids playing in the cool refreshing waters of one of the smaller fountains. On the other side of me is a family drinking sodas and slushies, already claiming their spot for the fireworks later that night. Straight down Woodward you will be able to see some of the fireworks, affording a beautiful view of America's largest fireworks displays.

The sun is shinning, the birds are chirping, the flowers are in full bloom, and the kids are outside playing. It is a beautiful day in Campus Martius Park, can life get any better than this?

Posted by DetroitDad at 6/24/2009 03:07:00 PM

DetroitDad, nice blog.

Advice:
    • narrow focus to fewer topics when possible [[less is more)
    • shorten posts [[again, less is more)
    • identify clearly the purpose, and stick to it
    • each post should be somehow valuable, or people will not return [[often)
    • consistently post [[regular posting can generate regular visits)
    • if blogger.com offers, utilize their analytics
    • exchange links

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I figured it was about time I started my own blog. It's a work in progress. I figured I'd give it a go for six months and see how it goes. What do you folks think so far? If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know. I always appreciate spelling and grammar critiques, if you happen to see a problem.

http://campusmartiuschronicle.blogspot.com/

Here is a copy of the first post;
    Ehhh, boy.

I was sitting at the end of the bar at the Old Miami just a moment ago thinking a similar thing.

Only oddly I cannot find the words to start.

No, I don't know where they went.

See?! Cheddar and I cannot be the same person...we posted at the same time.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    See?! Cheddar and I cannot be the same person...we posted at the same time.
    I don't think anyone would make the mistake of thinking that. For example, you are optimistic with detroitdad andI think he's a waste of DNA.

DetroitDad Guest

Gannon, we should start a joint blog one of these days. That might be interesting.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    DetroitDad, nice blog.

Advice:
    • narrow focus to fewer topics when possible [[less is more)
    • shorten posts [[again, less is more)
    • identify clearly the purpose, and stick to it
    • each post should be somehow valuable, or people will not return [[often)
    • consistently post [[regular posting can generate regular visits)
    • if blogger.com offers, utilize their analytics
    • exchange links
    Thanks...

What would you say is too long or too short? I see some bloggers who like to keep it down to two or three paragraphs, while others can wright pages and still be interesting.

Thanks...

What would you say is too long or too short? I see some bloggers who like to keep it down to two or three paragraphs, while others can wright pages and still be interesting.
    1 to 3 paragraphs normally should suffice.

Something else, consider the visit pattern you seek. Do you want regular daily visitors, or random/sporadic visits? Additionally, how will you gauge visits?

Google [[or bing) for blogging tips, or get one of the "Learn Blogging in 24 hours" books from the library. Everything I'd advise can be found therein.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; July-02-09 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    I don't think anyone would make the mistake of thinking that. For example, you are optimistic with detroitdad and I think he's a waste of DNA.
    Then perhaps you and I may be the same person.

Bearinabox Guest

I figured it was about time I started my own blog.
    Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Then perhaps you and I may be the same person.
    Looks like there's at least three of us out here.

What do you folks think so far? If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.
    I like it. You should be yourself and write in your own style, verbosity level, etc. I think a blog should reflect the person rather than trying to be a professional journalistic endeavor. Then the people who like it will be people who like you/your style.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I like it. You should be yourself and write in your own style, verbosity level, etc. I think a blog should reflect the person rather than trying to be a professional journalistic endeavor. Then the people who like it will be people who like you/your style.
    Thanks for the advice. So, you're saying voice is as important as content.

--

Gannon, I think you should go for it. Don't worry about what people think or how to start man, just pick a topic and run with it.

--

Oh brother, I also see a few of the people on my ignore list decided to chime in, although I can't see what they said. I am sure they said some real zingers, unfortunately that's usually all they ever give anyone. These people found their way onto my ignore list because they work over time trying to be clowns and rarely add anything to the conversations elsewhere on the forums. I am going to assume that these clowns haven't actually added anything constructive to the conversation, as usual. Something just tells me I'm right.

I agree with East Detroit...don't worry about being a perfect journalist, unless that is your ultimate goal in life. If you are just writing to speak your mind and tell about what is happening, use your own words, at your own pace and in your own style. Some will like it, some will not. I learned many years ago that you can only please some of the people some of the time.

Since I can rarely get down to the City, it is nice to live vicariously through someone else's words to get a feel for what is happening.

Good Luck to you!

Multiple counselors is often good policy DetroitDad. Follow your heart

DetroitDad Guest

Yes, I will take all the help I can get. With that last post, the whole suburbia issue really gets to me, and I apparently am not the only one. Check out that article I linked to about the parents who essentially built a mall to keep their kids in the house.

Yes, I will take all the help I can get. With that last post, the whole suburbia issue really gets to me, and I apparently am not the only one. Check out that article I linked to about the parents who essentially built a mall to keep their kids in the house.
    I liked that article DetroitDad. The school system argument is a very valid one. Keep doing what you're doing for as long as it gives you joy and happiness.

Ummm, this is at least your 3rd blog....

I think you should write an "About Me" section on your blog. I'm pretty new to Detroit yes, but so far have seen you have pretty strong and interesting opinions. It's always fun to know the person behind those thoughts. Best of luck!

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks!

I probably will do an about me section, but the blog isn't really supposed to be about me, so I wanted to get started and worry about those other things later.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    Ummm, this is at least your 3rd blog....
    I was a part of other blogs before, but never really had one all my own.