Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What would be the outcome of the Kilpatrick Corruption Trial?

Just last year former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, his father Benard Kilpatrick, their goon squads Bobby Ferguson and Former DPW board member Victor Mercado were charged up to 19 counts of fraud, extortions, embezzement and accepting bribes while excercizing their duties for Detroit City Government.

What would happen if all of them were found 'GUILTY IS SIN!' from all of those counts? Would you cheer or be sad that their 'playa maya' and his thug mafia is failed their principles.

Having KING KWAME and his thug knights to be put in bars for almost 20 years might cool them down and give them time to think about their troubles and how they can redeem themselves so that their image remains intact.

Only time will tell. Feel free to comment.

whatever the verdict, I'm really sick of hearing about all of the principal parties involved. Whether an acquittal, conviction or something else, Detroit needs help badly.

It wouldn't break my heart to see all of them get locked up, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they managed to beat at least some of the charges.

If indeed Kwame is guilty -- which I do believe, but of course will be dedided by a jury of his peers based on evidence -- then I do hope the sentence is severe. Municipal corruption at all levels is a problem everyone in the US. Its not unique to Detroit. We just notice it more because there's not enough money around to paper it over.

I do predict a big fall here -- because Kwame so believed he was above every law at every level. Martial, social, political, business, earring.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; February-13-13 at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarity

Yes, back in the day when it was 'papered' over was the heyday. Everyone got paid that was part of the 'friends and family' clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ... We just notice it more because there's not enough money around to paper it over.

I do predict a big fall here -- because Kwame so believed he was above every law at every level. Martial, social, political, business, earring.

I personally dont think it takes a rocket scientist to see they are all guilty as hell.. as with KKs earlier situations, they still probably only found out about half of it.I do have a long standing fear though dealing with a Detroit jury that they will get off of most if not all charges,, After all , KK and his buds are "human beings with a family". What that has to do with his crooked behavior has me confused...If anything he should be more ashamed of himself , but , he ofcourse is not. Entitlement is permanently etched in their brains.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    I personally dont think it takes a rocket scientist to see they are all guilty as hell.. as with KKs earlier situations, they still probably only found out about half of it.I do have a long standing fear though dealing with a Detroit jury that they will get off of most if not all charges,, After all , KK and his buds are "human beings with a family". What that has to do with his crooked behavior has me confused...If anything he should be more ashamed of himself , but , he ofcourse is not. Entitlement is permanently etched in their brains.
    He already paid back $13K in restitution, what more do you want?

Based on his level of arrogance, I was relieved to not see his face among the pictures in the Free Press this morning listing the Mayoral candidates for the next election. Oh, I forgot, he's a Texan now. Sorry!

Should he be convicted he and Bobby should be made to work double shifts at the water department fixing water mains until the restitution is paid off. He will be required to wear a tether and live at Momma's. Once it is paid off, he should serve the rest of his sentence in prison.

Regardless of the outcome, it will be nice to finally have some closure and be able to move on from this story.

As much as I would like to see them all get guilty convictions I really have my doubts over whether it was a truly 'criminal enterprise' as the Feds try to paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Regardless of the outcome, it will be nice to finally have some closure and be able to move on from this story.

As much as I would like to see them all get guilty convictions I really have my doubts over whether it was a truly 'criminal enterprise' as the Feds try to paint it.
    I'm likewise suspicious of use of RICO racketeering statutes, but if you believe criminal acts took place, and you believe it was a group action [[that is they acted together to defraud), then it does seem to be a 'criminal enterprise' by dictionary definition. It sure looks like they collectively acted to steal to me.

Closure? Well, only so far as KK and gang. Real closure will be when there are no other 'criminal enterprises' afflicting our city, country, school districts, airports, etc. That's the closure I'd like to see.

If he is found guilty, as I highly suspect he will be, the best outcome will be the message "If you try to use public office to steal from the public, we will hunt you down, all the scoundrels you have collaborated with, place you on trial and lock you up for a long time."

I think that message is out there loud and clear now and anyone who is still scamming has to be thinking twice and shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    If he is found guilty, as I highly suspect he will be, the best outcome will be the message "If you try to use public office to steal from the public, we will hunt you down, all the scoundrels you have collaborated with, place you on trial and lock you up for a long time."

I think that message is out there loud and clear now and anyone who is still scamming has to be thinking twice and shutting down.
    Lowell, your optimism is laudable, but history tells us that corruption in government returns constantly like weeds in a garden. If we ever think we've 'solved' this problem, we'll be wrong. Constant vigilance. Constant. Forever.

When Kwame is found guilty, I'm pretty sure that the feds will step in and do an all-out audit of the City of Detroit.

I know that the state is doing it, but it seems that we need the feds to kick in and check the books too. It's not going to be enough.

I met Kwame Kilpatrick in person, and took a pic with him. At that time, I never thought that he would let the power of his office go to his head. It didn't take long for him to prove me wrong.

We got enough problems here in Detroit, not only caused by him, but by everyone after him and before him. No matter where he goes, or how much he pays back in restitution, it will never be enough for what he has done to this city.

I feel for his family. Kwame is a personal friend. I volunteered on both of his campaigns. He had tons of potential and my heart is sadden to see this happen. I wish he would not have done what they have charged him with.
    I will pray for him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    I feel for his family. Kwame is a personal friend. I volunteered on both of his campaigns. He had tons of potential and my heart is sadden to see this happen. I wish he would not have done what they have charged him with. I will pray for him and his family.
    I feel sorry for the kids who will suffer for the sins of their elders. As for the rest of the family, I suspect that the complicity is spread throughout and if they weren't a part of it, like his indicted father appears to be, they had to be turning a blind eye to it. All that money and opulence doesn't magically appear.

I also feel sorry for you and others who worked for his election and, as many of us did, saw great potential in him. He had everything needed to lift up this city, education, connections, youth, charisma and intelligence. Such a waste.

I'm still not convinced of a conviction. All it takes is one Juror........

[[and I hope I'm wrong in this case)

I feel sorry for the kids who will suffer for the sins of their elders. As for the rest of the family, I suspect that the complicity is spread throughout and if they weren't a part of it, like his indicted father appears to be, they had to be turning a blind eye to it. All that money and opulence doesn't magically appear.

I also feel sorry for you and others who worked for his election and, as many of us did, saw great potential in him. He had everything needed to lift up this city, education, connections, youth, charisma and intelligence. Such a waste.
    When KK was running for reelection, in an interview he said he would not want his children around Gay people, and the usual bigoted homophobic BS.
    Considering how much damage HE has done to his children with his inability to follow the law, I now have a very difficult time feeling sorry anyone in that family.
    As far as I'm concerned, not enough bad things,can happen to that man or his wife.

A hung jury wouldn't be surprising. That aside, I truly believe that people run for public office for one of three reasons:

1. An overwhelming ego.
    2. "What's in it for me?"
    3. [[1) and [[2) above.

I feel for his family. Kwame is a personal friend.
    Screw his family. The whole worthless bunch is crooked as hell. Cheeky Momma needs to get locked up too. The guy's just plain garbage and is largely responsible for the low image of Detroit worldwide.

If you're as much of a city cheerleader as you pretend to be, you'd be calling for him to be hung from the fountain at Hart Plaza at high noon.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Detroit jury? Do you understand how the federal court system works? Jurors were chosen from the Eastern District of Michigan,not just Detroit.

My family and I were involved in the first campaign, but after we saw his penchant for greed and corruption we moved on. I for one did not vote for him second round. I had a gut sense that his actions first term were not a 'one off' or a slip, but WHO he was...

Still it has been sad in a way for him, in the face of what could have been. Far worse for Detroiters: the audience and residents living in the fall out. Still, I get no personal joy for seeing him and partners in corruption potentially going to the pen - big time - but it what it is: the reaping.

It [[the greed, corruption, coverups, and engagement of others therein) got beyond what he could manage - charisma and 'cash' withstanding!

After a point, you cannot control or stop what people say and ultimate testify sitting upon hard seats of a courtroom covering their own butts.

Even when they where once gainful gleeful recipients of the corruption!

Just too many moving parts. KK made bad choices, compounded and overlapping -- only serving to dig himself further deeper.

I feel for his family. Kwame is a personal friend. I volunteered on both of his campaigns. He had tons of potential and my heart is sadden to see this happen. I wish he would not have done what they have charged him with.
    I will pray for him and his family.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-14-13 at 10:57 AM.

When he first became Mayor I was in total support, loved his enthusiasm and was excited about what he was doing in the city. It was like things were starting to move forward. By the time of his re-election It was obvious he was a fraud.
    I dont wish prison on anybody but it seems warranted.
    It only takes one jury member to say no and he is a free man, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Detroit jury? Do you understand how the federal court system works? Jurors were chosen from the Eastern District of Michigan,not just Detroit.
    You are absolutely correct. I am always surprised at the number of people who do not know the difference between a federal and a state offense.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; February-14-13 at 10:05 AM.

I always thought he was too young, too immature, & too inexperienced to run Detroit. I think his immaturity played a significant part in his downfall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast