Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Time For Dirty Foreheads and Fried Fish

Annual Lenten Fish Fry Thread.

there are several around town, but my favorite is St. Francis of Assisi on Wesson at Buchanan. North of Michigan Ave and east of Livernois. Out TeleWay way.

the fish is light and crispy with a hint of beer. The church ladies run around with their church lady aprons and the men are cracking beers and making batter.

it is about 7 minutes out of down town, out Michigan Ave, perfect for office workers. I think it was $8 bucks for the cod, slaw, roll dessert and drink.

which place is your favorite and why?

What days are the fish fry and what times? Sorry, I'm not familiar. I might stop by on my way home from work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    What days are the fish fry and what times? Sorry, I'm not familiar. I might stop by on my way home from work though.
    http://www.stfrancisdetroit.org/news/FryFishFlyer.pdf

"Two Thumbs UP"
    Honky Tonk, DY Poster

St. Veronicas on Toepfer in Eastpointe is real good Friday fish fry. Lots of side dishes. They even have drive thru service. It has to be one of the best in the metro area.

I agree with the St. Francis trible. They are excellent fish frys.

I think the hours are 11:00 am - 6:00 pm Fridays during Lent.

St. Francis D' Assisi is real good, but since they close early for a dinner, St. Sebastian's in Dearborn Heights in pretty good with a lot of variety.

The fish fry at St. Francis is well worth the trip. The church itself is quite spectacular too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    St. Veronicas on Toepfer in Eastpointe is real good Friday fish fry. Lots of side dishes. They even have drive thru service. It has to be one of the best in the metro area.
    St. Veronica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We always enjoy the fish dinners at Sweetest Heart of Mary!! You can get pierogi too!!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweete...08367535904022

Assumption Grotto on Gratiot, by Six Mile has lenten fish fry too. 4-7 pm on Fridays. Adults 7.00, children under 12, 5.00. Fried fish, baked fish, coleslaw french fries, pop,water,coffee

st francis d' assisi is a tradition every year - but you have to get there early as by 5 pm they sometimes run out. love all the seniors that work there each year - the are the best. Fish is great!!!

St.Veronicas fish fry is going on today Ash Wednesday. See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    http://www.stfrancisdetroit.org/news/FryFishFlyer.pdf

"Two Thumbs UP"
    Honky Tonk, DY Poster
    Thank you sir.

Just finished a tasty catfish dinner from Detroit's Sacred Heart Church, near Mack and I-75. They also offer perch and fish sandwiches. Sides are macaroni and cheese, green beans and fries or tater tots.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Just finished a tasty catfish dinner from Detroit's Sacred Heart Church, near Mack and I-75. They also offer perch and fish sandwiches. Sides are macaroni and cheese, green beans and fries or tater tots.
    Are they open today? Do you know how late? Their flyer doesn't mention it. Thanx.

Gnome your thread title is slightly offensive. Please kindly unfcuk yourself and stuff down some more fried cod with tartar. Thanks, your local defensive parishioner.

Didn't you hear there's no pope right now? Catholics keep your foreheads clean and eat all the burgers you want every Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Gnome your thread title is slightly offensive. Please kindly unfcuk yourself and stuff down some more fried cod with tartar. Thanks, your local defensive parishioner.
    Gosh, I am sorry. I did not intend to be slightly anything.

In the future, i will strive to be completely offensive.

thank you for the constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Annual Lenten Fish Fry Thread.

there are several around town, but my favorite is St. Francis of Assisi on Wesson at Buchanan. North of Michigan Ave and east of Livernois. Out TeleWay way.

the fish is light and crispy with a hint of beer. The church ladies run around with their church lady aprons and the men are cracking beers and making batter.

it is about 7 minutes out of down town, out Michigan Ave, perfect for office workers. I think it was $8 bucks for the cod, slaw, roll dessert and drink.

which place is your favorite and why?
    Gotta agree with Gnome on this one! Going there for lunch today! Cannot wait! The food is good, but what REALLY makes it for me is the people at St. Francis! Especially the little old lady that collects the money, and the little old man who fills your drinks! Such kind people, all of them!
    Please stop by and see them, and support St. Francis! If you can, go to mass and check out the church. It IS beautiful.

For your viewing pleasure:
    http://www.stfrancisdetroit.org/

Hope to see you there,
    T.

Just might see you there a100driver. I will be there around noon. I will be sporting a purple scarf and black wool vest.

Are there any other parishes that have Friday Fish Fry in the greater downtown area? What about SW? My sister and I want to hit one tonight but she doesn't get out of work until 630 so St. Francis is out of the question unfortunately.

From the Michigan Catholic website:

Lenten Dinner Directory
    http://www.themichigancatholic.com/2...ner-directory/

The Gaelic League in Corktown has Friday Lenten Fish Dinners. Here's the schedule:

Feb 15 – March 29
    Lenten Fish Dinner

Every Friday
    5-8PM $8
    Child’s menu available

Bring a donation for the area needy and get a free cookie for dessert

Feb 15th – men’s gloves
    Feb 22nd – canned vegetables
    March 1st - peanut butter
    March 8th – men’s socks
    March 15th – canned soup
    March 22nd – hotel size toiletries
    March 29th – mac & cheese

http://www.gaelicleagueofdetroit.org/

So I tried the St. Francis Assisi fish fry yesterday. A pleasant retro setting in the basement of the church hall. Very well attended with as many young folk as old.

Per recommendation of this forum we tried the St Francis Fish Fry yesterday. Very disappointed. Fish was greasy and fries and fish were cold. Will not be back. Love to support these efforts but there are better ones in the metro area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast