Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default anyone miss the old LaShish?

I noticed this article about Talhal Chahine in the Freep a few days ago:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2013302110082

They gloss over the tax evasion and double books stuff, but I still wonder if the Prosecution had a viable case. Talhal really should come home and get this stuff cleaned up instead of remaining a fugitive.

As for the "new" LaShish, it seems to be just about as good as the old [[at least in terms of the food, the decor is really generic). And it's just the one [[original) location though and I doubt they have grand plans of taking over the U.S. -- or even the Metro area -- with franchises.

I miss Chahine.

but my aim's improving.

I've not tried the joint that opened in the same location, but have gone to a few of the franchise places which reopened under other names in their same locations. They have all been good, but there was always some magic about going into his fancy second location on Michigan Avenue...watching the old woman flatten the bread dough before baking it, as well as the rest of the ambiance.

The lemon-chicken kabob isn't the toughest recipe to copy, but it IS difficult to master. I've not had it quite the same since he left town.

One of my ex-mentee's mother was one of Talal's first cooks, he used her recipe and mastering for that unique hummus...which was a bit smoother and dazzling than most. Her home cooking is outstanding, I never miss a chance to enjoy it. Her basement reminds me of all the old Italian and Polish family setups from the seventies in Dearborn...the things that can be produced down there are amazing.

I believe he was being framed by a witch-hunt after 9/11 and did what he needed to do. I was surprised to see that interview, actually.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; February-13-13 at 08:06 AM.

very good deboned chicken!

The recent owner of La Shish Mr.Shahine was charged by the FBI and the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security for funding Hezbollah terrorists organizations. Mr. Shahine is living somewhere in Lebanon in hiding. His wife is currently serving time in a federal prison.

"God knows I never compromised my loyalty at any point of time."

No I don't miss it. The problem I see with alot of foreigners is they still have too much pride for their homeland. Instead of priding themselves on being American they pride themselves on their heritage and remaining loyal. I'm sure deep down his heart was still with the people of the middle east. Instead he cheated the country that made him millions and when he was caught ran home to the land he really loves.

I enjoyed dining at Talal's, the restaurant attached to La Shish in West Dearborn. They had an expanded menu with some upscale options. It bothers me that spending money there may have supported terrorism.

I can get chicken shwarma at Bucharest Grill downtown which IMO tops them all.

I don't buy that he's entirely clean, but I also don't buy the FBI's line. There was a time in the early to mid 2000's where you could drop a dime on anyone with a middle-eastern-y sounding name and the FBI would go bonkers trying to convict that person of something. They were hiring criminals to try to convince citizens to become terrorists, then arresting them.

In any case:

La Marsa - Decent food, *terrible* service
    Olly's - Very good food, good service
    Palm Palace - Decent food and service

Olly's is absolutely great!! Sorta tucked in the back or side [[depending on how your coming) of that strip mall with the Target at Ford and Mercury drive off Greenfield.

I've got to try that. I tend to prefer middle-eastern from my fav places in Dearborn. Per another post this BG place has the great garlic paste... yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I can get chicken shwarma at Bucharest Grill downtown which IMO tops them all.

Yes! There's a middle-eastern place in Southfield called Sahara I think on Coolidge and nine mile and their hummus was just flat as was their baba ganouch... Something that basic can vary widely...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The lemon-chicken kabob isn't the toughest recipe to copy, but it IS difficult to master. I've not had it quite the same since he left town.

One of my ex-mentee's mother was one of Talal's first cooks, he used her recipe and mastering for that unique hummus...which was a bit smoother and dazzling than most.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-13-13 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Olly's is absolutely great!! Sorta tucked in the back or side [[depending on how your coming) of that strip mall with the Target at Ford and Mercury drive off Greenfield.
    I think it's a mini-chain. There's one in Brighton, and a newer one moved in to the former Don Pablo's at Van Dyke and 15.

not me!! i ate there when they first opened and frequented both dearborn locations on a regular basis.... until one day i took a friend who was handicapped [[wheelchair) to the west dearborn location. It was a nightmare and i never went back. Olly's all the way!!!!!

"Shesh" on Five and Newburgh has the same menu as the old place. Great for take out. Regular meals might be expensive but we squeeze two or three meals out of what we get. Wife loves the place.

Try Cedar Gardens, in St Clair Shores, 9 Mile & Mack. If you are there in the afternoon, two doors down is a great Cheesecake shop. In between? Good coffee.

It is easy for so many people to lump "Middle Eastern" cuisine into one sort of "genre" if you will. However, it really varies by sub-region. You'll probably get more southern Lebanese/Palestinian style cuisine in Dearborn and more northern Leb and Chaldean influences in Macomb County. Hummus and falafel can be made so many different ways....

Ike's on Van Dyke in Sterling Heights is still my favorite, but it is Lebanese and not Syrian or anything else...

GUSHI Guest

Sahara on hall by Costco pretty good, Sahara @25 and vandyke is nasty, cedar grill? I think that what it's called by lakeside also good, Majesta @ 22 and Romeo Plank good food but slow ass service, they are Chaldean,

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    I noticed this article about Talhal Chahine in the Freep a few days ago:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2013302110082

They gloss over the tax evasion and double books stuff, but I still wonder if the Prosecution had a viable case. Talhal really should come home and get this stuff cleaned up instead of remaining a fugitive.

As for the "new" LaShish, it seems to be just about as good as the old [[at least in terms of the food, the decor is really generic). And it's just the one [[original) location though and I doubt they have grand plans of taking over the U.S. -- or even the Metro area -- with franchises.
    That guy would have copped a plea and done some time. He chose to go back to the old country. His decision, he wasn't going to beat all those charges. Whatever he said in the interview about the government, there's more then a few grains of truth there.

Good points! I keep ordering things similar to both regions and miss the distinctions, and then there are the variances with the similar items as you point out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ...You'll probably get more southern Lebanese/Palestinian style cuisine in Dearborn and more northern Leb and Chaldean influences in Macomb County. Hummus and falafel can be made so many different ways...

The new incarnation of La Shish started out with what I felt was better than average food and service...I think the food quality has slipped and I haven't been back in a few months, may give it a try again.

i miss their salsa. There was some spice in there that i haven't been able to figure out

I very much miss the old La Shish. And I refuse to go to the new one, not because of any problems with the food or the new owner, but because they are living off of a name and brand that Talal Chahine established.

Chahine may have been engaged in some iffy business practices [[ones that are, however, very common in the restaurant industry), but he was not involved in some sort of giant fraud, and was basically intimidated and given a very raw deal due to his ethnicity. And it happened in large measure because he refused to give the FBI the information they wanted to hear on that Muslim cleric he ate dinner next to [[and who was running a charity licensed by the U.S. government), and also to 'rat out' his sister-in-law, CIA agent Nada Prouty. Even so, his case was used as part of the absolutely shameful [[and clearly racist) railroading of Ms. Prouty.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-14-13 at 08:21 PM.

No I didn't miss LaShish. There are so many other restaurants that sold the same things that were as good or better than LaShish and I didn't have to leave the city to eat there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast