Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Change the Name of Dearborn to Henry Ford, Michigan?

Your gentle town Dearborn is misnamed. I propose that the city be re-named Henry Ford, MI as recognition of the contributions of Henry Ford to the nation and in particular to our city. Instead, we have our city named after someone who never heard of it let alone ever stepped foot in it, General Henry Dearborn. Now he was a righteous dude, I will grant you and served our country well in the Revolutionary War and with a lot less distinction in the War o 1812, when he was basically fired from his position. Now comes a true giant in American history, a man born within the city limits of our town, who built a mammoth enterprise here, kept it here and built his own family home at Fairlane. Henry Ford changed America from this very spot. He was one of us. He lived among us and his company provided a tax base that any city would die for. Henry Ford's company provided excess funds for Camp Dearborn and a multitude of city services. Henry Ford's company donated land to all of us, the land of my high school, Edsel Ford, of which I was in the first graduating class. Henry Ford built that enterprise right here, a car company that needed no government bail out and a company that provided good jobs at the famous Rouge plant and today still headquarters itself at its Central Staff Building and other buildings that house engineering, styling, test track and divisional HQ's. He provided funds for one of the greatest museums in the world - the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village and these bring thousands of tourists every year to see these attractions and to begin a trip to see an automotive assembly plant. Henry Ford had defects-so did General Dearborn. Henry Ford was an anti-Semite. He discovered very late the nature of the swine, Hitler, but he also produced a plant that produced over 400 B-24's/month in 1944 that help prompt Hitler to place pistol to his temple. The name Henry Ford means something. Henry Ford means something to us, the people who live in his town, the people who work in and visit his town and yes, even to people like me who grew up here and moved away. It is no exaggeration to suggest that Henry Ford made this town. This, the town of his birth and death, the town of people he loved. This most important person, a person who brought the automobile within range of everyone and a living wage to all who worked for him. The man who showed the world what modern manufacturing could attain lifting the living standards of millions. This town is Henry Ford, Michigan. Leverage that name and let everyone know where he came from, what he did and what they can still see of the America he helped build in the Twentieth Century. Let the people debate this idea., Let them vote on it. Let them live in Henry Ford, Michigan. It is a proud name. It is an important name. It is our name. Henry Ford, Michigan, USA.
    Axxel Knutson
    197 Mountainview Rd.,
    Warren, NJ 07059
    908-484-7025
    axxel@verizon.net

So long as its not Orvilleville, I vote in favor.

Dearborn actually has 4 Kroger's in it. I vote for calling it "Kroger".

Not sure why everyone is so harsh on the OP. While I don't support the idea, I appreciate any out-of-box thoughts. With how many things in Dearborn bear the "Ford" name [[for good reason) I don't think changing the city name would make any sense.

No. Plenty of other stuff named after him.

I agree with stinkytofu... not a good way to treat a first time poster...

I disagree with the OP's assessment... but wonder how close he lives to Edison New Jersey?

Actually a name change to Fairlane would be more appropriate... since that was the name of the 5,800+ acres of land once owned by Henry Ford in Dearborn.

I believe for a brief period of time part of Dearborn was called Fordson. That name lives on in the name of Fordson High School. Sorry don't have time to provide links ...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I believe for a brief period of time part of Dearborn was called Fordson. That name lives on in the name of Fordson High School. Sorry don't have time to provide links ...
    Fordson is probably the most architecturally stunning High School in Michigan, thanks to Ford money that helped build it. It looks like a Tudor palace with it's turrets, stone details, and large expanses of casement windows. Sadly the widening of Ford Rd. in the 20th century has removed a good part of it's front landscaping, thus giving the title of most majestic high school setting to Grosse Pointe South.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Fordson is probably the most architecturally stunning High School in Michigan, thanks to Ford money that helped build it. It looks like a Tudor palace with it's turrets, stone details, and large expanses of casement windows. Sadly the widening of Ford Rd. in the 20th century has removed a good part of it's front landscaping, thus giving the title of most majestic high school setting to Grosse Pointe South.
    You got that right Gistok!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wonder what the Jewish population [[such as it is) in Dearborn would make of the suggestion? Considering the existing cultural makeup of the city, makes it an interesting suggestion, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Dearborn actually has 4 Kroger's in it. I vote for calling it "Kroger".
    Two Kroger’s across the street from each other on Mich Ave. – I still can’t figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by callmefbm View Post
    I wonder what the Jewish population [[such as it is) in Dearborn would make of the suggestion? Considering the existing cultural makeup of the city, makes it an interesting suggestion, doesn't it?
    Since they're probably outnumbered by 1000 to 1 in Dearborn... I more impactful question would be what would the Arab-Americans think?

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Two Kroger’s across the street from each other on Mich Ave. – I still can’t figure that one out.
    Years ago, the one on the North side of MI Ave. was a Farmer Jack. After they went under, Kroger bought that building and opened a Kroger there too. I've been waiting for one or the other to close, but it never happened.

During the war years [[No, not Vietnam, youngsters, WW II) I lived on Neckel Street just a half block from Fordson High School. I thought then, as youngsters tend to do, that it was the most magnificent building in the world. It still ain't all that bad, either. Then in '46 we moved to Detroit so I never had the opportunity to attend Fordson. Sigh.

There are five Kroger stores between 9 and Mack and the Village in Grosse Pointe/St. Clair Shores/Harper Woods. You can remain that neighborhood Krogerville.

Anyways, be nice to the first time poster. His idea is novel, if not accepted.

Pushing Dearborn's storied past to the back burner would be a monumental task [[Greenfield, Springwells, etc.) but the idea is still interesting. Unfortunately, Henry Ford and his name carry too much negative baggage with them to be a real contender for that city name. As time goes on and history is more deeply and openly explored, Henry in the bright light is not the unassailable hero of industrialism we were all taught growing up around Detroit. I, nonetheless, applaud AXXel's enthusiasm for the concept.

Years ago, the one on the North side of MI Ave. was a Farmer Jack. After they went under, Kroger bought that building and opened a Kroger there too. I've been waiting for one or the other to close, but it never happened.
    Kind of funny in a way. Dearborn can get two Kroger stores directly across from each other yet Detroit is pulling teeth to get one anywhere in the city.

They are both equally busy on any given day. I do prefer the Kroger on the north side of Michigan Ave because it's easier to pull out of to go south on Outer Drive [[and hence, home).

excuse me for yelling, but, FUCK THAT. Name one of our most diverse cities after NAZI SCUM? My vote is for no. Might as well name it Hitler, Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    excuse me for yelling, but, FUCK THAT. Name one of our most diverse cities after NAZI SCUM? My vote is for no. Might as well name it Hitler, Michigan.
    What a response... does the name F O R D on a hospital, health care system and corporation evoke the same tantrum in you?

What a response... does the name F O R D on a hospital, health care system and corporation evoke the same tantrum in you?
    Hopefully. It would be beneficial if more people were less apathetic about such things.

Don't forget a freeway, highway, college, museum and high school [[just to name a few other things).

If anything, that statement argues AGAINST naming anything else after Ford, as the people of Michigan should be suffering from Ford fatigue at this point.

City of Henry Ford. I better off calling Dearborn 'New Islamabad!'

The one on the north side has maintained the Farmer Jack layout & still attracts the former Farmer Jack shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    The one on the north side has maintained the Farmer Jack layout & still attracts the former Farmer Jack shoppers.
    Strange none the less.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-13-13 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast