Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Unknown Detroit High School Colors & Nicknames

<This post has been edited in light of additional information.>

Does anyone know the colors and nickname for any of the following Detroit high schools?

Higgins High School [[1907-1913)
    McMillan High School [[1907-1916)
    Hunter High School [[1920-1922)
    Commerce High School [[1909-1964) Nickname: Auditors; Colors?
    East Commerce High School [[1926-1957)
    Philip Murray High School [[1965-1967)

Did East Commerce High School have the same nickname [[Auditors) as Commerce High School? What were the colors of both high schools?

Wilbur Wright High School [[1928-1967) [[blue & gold, Pilots) merged with Philip Murray High School in 1967 to form Murray-Wright High School [[1967-2007), keeping the Wilbur Wright High School colors and nickname. Did Philip Murray High School have its own colors and nickname for the two years it existed before merging with Wilbur Wright High School?
    Last edited by MrWCF; February-12-13 at 05:09 PM.

Yep, colors and nick name remained up thru closing in 2007. The school also had some not so nice nick names but I'd rather not bring them up unless you insist ----!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep, colors and nick name remained up thru closing in 2007. The school also had some not so nice nick names but I'd rather not bring them up unless you insist ----!
    I insist.....

My question was what the colors and nickname of Philip Murray HS were in 1965 and 1966 before they merged with Wilbur Wright HS to form Murray-Wright HS.

My school was Detroit Bishop Borgess, colors were green and gold, nickname was the Spartans. Opened about 1969, closed about ten years ago.

Can't help you out with the others. I may be old, but I am not that old yet!

Since Murray was built adjacent to Wright, and the 2 schools shared some academics from the start, I don't think they ever had separate athletic identities. My uncle and aunt went to East Commerce, and I don't think that they had an athletic program. I also don't think that the old Commerce by Cass Tech had athletics, and that the Commerce Raiders name you site comes from the High School of Commerce and Business Administration that was in the old Higginbotham school building on Indiana for a while in the 2000s.

Commerce did have athletics, as evidenced by looking through some old yearbooks on Classmates.com. Don't know about the school colors [[couldn't find them mentioned and all the photos in the yearbooks then were in black and white), but the school's nickname was the Auditors.l

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I insist.....
    Murder-Wright is one that comes to mind....

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Since Murray was built adjacent to Wright, and the 2 schools shared some academics from the start, I don't think they ever had separate athletic identities.
    Thanks for that! I'll assume that Philip Murray HS had the same colors and nickname as Wilbur Wright HS during 1965-1966 unless someone has additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    <snip> the Commerce Raiders name you site comes from the High School of Commerce and Business Administration that was in the old Higginbotham school building on Indiana for a while in the 2000s.
    That makes sense. I got the "Raiders" name from football records, and presumed that Commerce HS had changed from their original "Auditors" nickname somewhere along their history. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Commerce did have athletics, as evidenced by looking through some old yearbooks on Classmates.com. Don't know about the school colors [[couldn't find them mentioned and all the photos in the yearbooks then were in black and white), but the school's nickname was the Auditors.l
    Yes, I have several old Commerce yearbooks, and knew that they played several sports under the "Auditors" nickname, but I presumed that they changed their nickname at some time in their history like Cass Tech [[changed from the "Mechanics" to the "Technicians") and Northern [[changed from the Eskimos to the Jay Hawks). But I now think [[based upon your reply and another reply to my post) that they retained "Auditors" until their end in 1964. Thank you!
    Last edited by MrWCF; February-12-13 at 04:43 PM.

BINGO! That was it! Back in the late seventies, mid-eighties that was our not so nice nick-name: Murder-Wright.

There was tons of rivalry between MW and McKenizie... Lots of gang violence. Some shootings but despite this Murray-Wright was a grand school if you wanted to learn a trade of prepare for college. In a way the education there paved the way towards the Career Tech Centers built in the 80's [[Crockett, Briehthaup, Golightly, Davis Aerospace, Randolph)...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Murder-Wright is one that comes to mind....
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-13-13 at 07:01 AM.

<Edited for new information>

HIGH SCHOOL COLORS NICKNAME
    Aero Mechanics
    maroon & gold Eagles
    Cass Technical
    forest green & white [[originally) Mechanics
    [[later changed to) Technicians
    Central
    navy blue & white Trail Blazers
    Chadsey
    crimson & gold Explorers
    Cody
    kelly green & pearl gray Comets
    Commerce
    unknown Auditors
    Cooley
    cardinal red & black Cardinals
    Crockett Tech
    purple & teal
    Rockets
    Davis Aero Tech
    maroon & gold Aviators
    Denby
    blue & gold Tars
    East Commerce
    unknown
    unknown
    Eastern
    orange & black Indians
    Finney
    kelly green & white Highlanders
    Henry Ford
    brown & gold Trojans
    Higgins
    unknown
    unknown
    Hunter
    unknown
    unknown
    Kettering
    royal blue & white Pioneers
    M. L. King
    gold & black
    Crusaders
    Mackenzie
    yale blue & pearl gray Stags
    McMillan
    unknown
    unknown
    Miller
    blue & orange Trojans
    Mumford
    dusty rose & horizon blue Mustangs
    Nordstrum
    blue & old gold
    Toddlers
    Northeastern
    green and gold
    Falcons
    Northern
    scarlet & royal blue [[originally) Eskimos
    [[later changed to) Jay Hawks
    Northwestern
    scarlet & gray Colts
    Osborn
    red, white & blue Knights
    Pershing
    blue & gold Doughboys
    Redford
    scarlet & gray Huskies
    Renaissance
    burgundy & white Phoenix
    Southeastern
    purple & white Jungaleers
    Southwestern
    blue & old gold Prospectors
    Western
    red & white Cowboys
    Wilbur Wright
    Philip Murray
    Murray-Wright
    blue and gold Pilots
    Last edited by MrWCF; February-13-13 at 04:30 AM.

Chadsey: Crimson Red and Gold are the actual colors. I graduated from Chadsey and our school paper was the "Crimson and Gold". The colors were adopted from Columbus' sailing colors of Crimson Red and Gold. Chadsey opened on Columbus Day October 12, 1931.

Other official school colors

Cooley: Cardinal Red and Black

Mumford: Dusty Rose and Horizon Blue.

Mackenzie: Yale Blue and Pearl Gray

Cody: Kelly Green and Pearl Gray

Redford and Northwestern: Scarlet and Gray

Source: Detroit Public School League Athletic Directory 1965, 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe114 View Post
    Chadsey: Crimson Red and Gold are the actual colors. I graduated from Chadsey and our school paper was the "Crimson and Gold".
    Other official school colors
    Cooley: Cardinal Red and Black
    Mumford: Dusty Rose and Horizon Blue.
    Mackenzie: Yale Blue and Pearl Gray
    Cody: Kelly Green and Pearl Gray
    Redford and Northwestern: Scarlet and Gray
    Source: Detroit Public School League Athletic Directory 1965, 1972.
    Thanks for the information!! I've edited my list. Yale blue & pearl gray is not only more accurate, it's also a lot neater sounding than just plain old blue & gray.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Ah, the good ol' days when we celebrated "Commerce" and "Auditors".

Commerce High School's colors were maroon & gold--I found it in one of their old yearbooks.

Were East Commerce HS's colors and nickname the same as Commerce HS's: Maroon & Gold, Auditors?
    Last edited by MrWCF; February-16-13 at 01:36 AM.

From the 1943 Commerce HS / E. Commerce HS yearbook:

Name:  E Commerce HS Cardinals.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  34.0 KB

So, it looks like the nickname of East Commerce High School was the Cardinals.

Commerce colors were maroon and gold.

St. Joseph's High School, Detroit, MI, 1880's-1964, school colors, Blue & White, Blue Jay's, "Builders of boys and makers of men."

Quote Originally Posted by shirlcal View Post
    Commerce colors were maroon and gold.
    Did East Commerce have the same school colors as Commerce?

East Commerce. I have a yearbook and class sweater from the '40's both red and white

Quote Originally Posted by CASSTECH1981 View Post
    East Commerce. I have a yearbook and class sweater from the '40's both red and white
    That matches their nickname "Cardinals"--thank you!