Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Car insurance fraud

I'm involved in a situation where I'm being charged for damages to a rental car that was stolen.

Im almost positive the car rental company already filed a claim with their insurance company and got paid, yet they are still trying to bill me for damages.

I got the vin number for the vehicle, I just need to know who was the insurance company at the time of the loss.

I have contacted the Secretary of State and a few other places without luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

The SOS don't track if a car is insured. They only check if there is valid insurance at the time of the registration tag is purchased. Did you buy the extra insurance? Did you pay for it with a credit card that has a CDL Waiver? Do you have insurance other than PLPD?

GUSHI Guest

If u have full coverage on your car, your insurance covers it minus the deductible

My personal insurance won't cover it because I rented it for a friend and I wasn't driving the vehicle.

I bought the additional insurance and my credit card company has insurance
    , but I can't file a claim because the car rental company refuses to provide the proper documentation to send to the insurance company.

We think the car rental company got paid by their insurance, and is refusing to provide me with the proper documentation because if my insurance pays then they would be committing a fraud on their insurance by getting paid twice

[QUOTE=Claude G.;367266]My personal insurance won't cover it because I rented it for a friend and I wasn't driving the vehicle.

Sounds like you were the one commiting fraud...

Next...

[QUOTE=belleislerunner;367268]
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
    My personal insurance won't cover it because I rented it for a friend and I wasn't driving the vehicle.

Next...
    not if he put the friend on the 'list' of approved drivers...

I bought the additional insurance and my credit card company has insurance
    , but I can't file a claim because the car rental company refuses to provide the proper documentation to send to the insurance company.

We think the car rental company got paid by their insurance, and is refusing to provide me with the proper documentation because if my insurance pays then they would be committing a fraud on their insurance by getting paid twice
    If their insurance paid them then they would be out of the picture and it would be on the insurance company to go after you and not the customer because they have been paid and case closed. Michigan does not have an insurance commissioner? If you have insurance maybe your agent can check in the database and see if you have been posted .

Its a database that whenever anybody files a claim all parties involved are entered into the data base and it is used all across the country to root out fraud.

If they are going directly after you maybe they do not want to have a claim against them which would raise their rates.

How is the Car Rental Company charging you? If they charge it to your Credit Card and you have a legitimate reason for not paying, contact the Card company and tell them to dispute the charges and they will fight your case [[and usually win) - they have far more clout than you have. If they are billing you in the mail and you feel you need to pay; pay it with your Credit Card then when they charge it dispute it with your Card Company and they won't get paid until they prove the charge is legitimate. The action of disputing the charge must take place within 60 days after the charge is debited from your card.
    Last edited by coracle; February-12-13 at 10:19 PM.

The larger car rental companies are self insured. In other word they have no insurance on their vehicles. They must feel you're collectible in some fashion.

[QUOTE=belleislerunner;367268]

Next...
    I agree. You don't rent cars for people who you can't be 100 percent sure have the insurance to cover their butt!