Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Pope Announces Retirement

The Roman Catholic world woke up to a surprise announcement by Pope Benedict XV. At the end of a speech to a gathering of Cardinals he stated that he would resign at the end of February. This would make him the first pope since 1415 to do so.

Apparently many of the Cardinals did not understand what he said as he made the announcement in Latin.

Fortunately my sources have obtained a translation which in included his reason. He said he 'just wanted to spend more time with his wife and kids'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The Roman Catholic world woke up to a surprise announcement by Pope Benedict XV. At the end of a speech to a gathering of Cardinals he stated that he would resign at the end of February. This would make him the first pope since 1415 to do so.

Apparently many of the Cardinals did not understand what he said as he made the announcement in Latin.

Fortunately my sources have obtained a translation which in included his reason. He said he 'just wanted to spend more time with his wife and kids'.
    Hmmmmmmmm.... I thought he was gay? [[not that there's anything wrong with it)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm.... I thought he was gay? [[not that there's anything wrong with it)

No, But King James I was

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Lowell, I have never, ever been so insulted in all my years on this cherished earth, my sacred bleeding heart is pounding like crazy; my cafflick lawyers will call you tomorrow in the A.M. Amen.

GUSHI Guest

Got love the anti catholic presence in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Got love the anti catholic presence in this forum.
    Well this forum is a microcosm of how badly catholics are persecuted the world over. In fact, this forum is so well know for its anti-catholic sentiment that if you Google "anti-catholic forum", this is the first site returned. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    Well this forum is a microcosm of how badly catholics are persecuted the world over. In fact, this forum is so well know for its anti-catholic sentiment that if you Google "anti-catholic forum", this is the first site returned. True story.
    False story=lie. Didn't they teach you any better than that?!

The conspiracy theorists are cheering on Peter from Ghana, because he fits so many of the prophecies and visions. Just listening to the BBC story on this on WDET's overnight broadcast now...they called him a long-shot.

Crazy time in history to resign, although it seems nobody can agree on how long it has been since the last Pope did this...600 years, nearly 700 years?!...I wonder if he was influenced by any information from the official Vatican observatory, the Telescope Lucifer?!

Maybe he got a better offer.

Quote Originally Posted by thnk2mch View Post
    Maybe he got a better offer.
    I heard he's had several interviews already with Shiite clerics.

Catholics persecuted the world over? That's funny right there. Especially considering the strong Catholic tradition in Detroit [[Paczki anyone?)

I'd rather deal with a Catholic than a born-again fundie anytime.

Anyone know the circumstances around Pope Gregory resigning all those centuries ago?

Quote Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
    Anyone know the circumstances around Pope Gregory resigning all those centuries ago?
    that was the schism-era, Gregory XII in Rome, Benedict XIII in Avignon [[the so-called Anti-Pope) and John XXIII in Pisa. Gregory & John resigned to clear the way for a new papal election, Benedict refused and was excommunicated.

There was a period of time in the mid 1300's where there was a split in the Catholic church and two groups emerged. During this time there where 2 popes, one for each group. In the early 1400's they decided 2 Popes where bad and got rid of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    More evidence of a Catholic cover up

I'll turn fifty this year, and spent just under the first half of my life under the Catholic traditions and teachings...spent twelve years going to school on the same city block! But I swear I never heard the term anti-pope until the last five years or so.

Seems Gregory XII was subjected to a Pope-off that he and the anti-Pope kept skipping. They both were no-shows due the fear of the other side kidnapping them or worse.

It surely must've been more exciting to be a Catholic then...although the modern era just got a perk-'em-up.

Had some fun going back through the ages of Gregory's in Wikipedia. Sixteen of 'em as Pope through the ages, all seeming trying to fill the shoes of the first one...bringer of the famous Gregorian chants, which were only brought back into vogue within the Church with this fellow who is now retiring.

As for signs of the current Pope's demise, he has had particular difficulty with the wind, including some episode where his ceremonial hat was knocked off and some cardinals responded as if it was a sign from God. I cannot find a link to that yet, but it has been mentioned quite a bit in other discussions.

The other only happened recently, while releasing a dove during another ceremony, it was immediately attacked by a seagull. Some took that as an omen, and not a particularly good one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2565109.html

So, yeah, lots to chew on. If Cardinal Peter from Ghana becomes one of the front-runners, and eventually the replacement Pope, an entire group of trend-spotters and mystics are going to freak out.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-12-13 at 09:10 PM.

"The Prophecy of the Popes, allegedly attributed to Saint Malachy, is a an apocalyptic list of 112 short phrases in Latin.
    Altogether, they purport to describe each of the Roman Catholicpopes [[along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II and is said to concluding with Pope Benedict XVI's successor, a pope named as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate is claimed to end in the destruction of the city of Rome.
    The Roman Catholic Church denounces the alleged prophecies as both forgery and postdiction while the topic continues to be a part of papal hysteria and conspiracy theories, often fueled by Anti-Catholic sentiments."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Anyone ever watch Brad Meltzer's Decoded on The History Channel ? lol
    '' What if I told you that the Vatican--seat of the Catholic Church--may be responsible for the murder of one of its own popes? Pope John Paul the First was in office just thirty-three days before he was found dead of mysterious causes and whisked away by Vatican officials with no investigation. Decoded travels to Rome and learns that the fallen Pope was at the center of a banking scandal involving Freemasons and even Mafia members operating from within the walls of the Vatican. Some even say that the scandal and the murder were foretold in a prophecy delivered by the Virgin Mary that the Vatican conspired to withhold from its followers. Could Pope John Paul the First, who vowed to reform corruption in the Vatican, have been murdered by the criminals he vowed to expose? ''

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I typed in your exact search words on Google. After going through 18 pages, or 180 sites I couldn't find one mention of this forum. My opinion of your statement, False story.

I swear they were using the same predictions when Benedict was consecrated, or ordained, or whatever, and saying that he was the final Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I swear they were using the same predictions when Benedict was consecrated, or ordained, or whatever, and saying that he was the final Pope.
    They WERE talking about the Malachy stuff, but Benedict has always been described as the second-to-last Pope, with the excrement hitting the fan during the last one's short reign.
    Last edited by Gannon; February-12-13 at 08:55 PM.

I thought I spelled his name wrong, but after reading some material through searches on both spellings I realized the difference is between Saint Malachy, who had a vision in the 1100s of all the Popes until the 'end of time' or 'end of the church'...and Father Malachi Martin, who seems to be a whistle-blower of great controversy from this past century.

Until recently his testimony was easily discarded, but when the Vatican's chief exorcist spoke up about the infiltration by the Devil in the Church in Rome it became confirmed.

And then there is the odd duplicate Pope who replaced Paul in the Sixties...proven in a book owned by a friend of mine, which he got from his mother. THAT was weird, and is all but written out of history.

Yeah, I guess the controversies never left Rome...
    Last edited by Gannon; February-13-13 at 07:52 AM.

Seems to me I remember reading about one Pope who was female. Pope Joan, or something like that. Maybe an anti-pope. Anyone?

Got me on that one, but not Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan

The third prediction of Fatima is also in dispute. The Roman Church at the highest level has said that it has been released in its entirely and all predicted events have taken place. Others claim reason to believe that it is about end times and and about the last Pope being wayward, the tribulations, and Rome being destroyed.

http://www.fatimamovement.com/019_Th...hirdSecret.htm

I didn't know a Pope could resign. Isn't he suppose to be appointed by "God" or something?

Maybe he finally realized that all those childish fairy tales he devoted his life to were a waste of time and he wanted out of that cult. Didn't this guy have some ties to the Nazi regime as a child? I always thought he looked a little creepy in those Halloween costumes they made him wear. The last Pope could pull it off and look kind of cool, but this guy was scarey.

Sorry to be offensive if anyone here is Catholic. I think all organized religions are equally dumb if it makes you feel any better. Some of my best friends are deeply religious, so I don't judge.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast