Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Yes, I would like to see the $200 bill for replacing the window, know the name of this fictional vehicle owner and the license plate number of the perps' vehicle because this story on the DPD's Standard Operating Procedure doesn't add up.

Yes, I think Fox news would chase this story down because the victim witnessed the crime, saw the perps do it, got their plate numbers down and when the victim called the DPD they refused to even write up a report because of DPD's "laziness" and "lack of concern".
    Tell you what Dave, PM me your name, address, and e-mail, and after I check with my friend whether or not they'd like their personal information revealed, I'll be happy to provide that. Because you know damn well that isn't going to happen, you get to play king of the hill on this post. I'll be watching my Notifications and waiting. Oh, by the way, go back, and carefully re-read everything, and point out WHERE I said no police report was taken. TTY soon, big guy.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-12-13 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Oh, by the way, go back, and carefully re-read everything, and point out WHERE I said no police report was taken.
    What you said was you're "willing to bet this is S.O.P." with the DPD.

Then you said your friend's window was smashed, the contents were removed and your friend got their license plate # and called the DPD and the DPDs first question was, "Do you have the serial # of the item? No, well we can't help you".

We can't help you sounds like that was the end of the conversation with the DPD and no report was taken.

Now, if you're saying the DPD did write up a report, gave an occurrence number and it seemed like they never arrested the culprits, then I'm not taking an issue with your story as I already know the DPD is overwhelmed with other crimes from career criminals who are processed through a revolving door justice system.

The point is the DPD is not hiding this crime data from the public; they are at least honest about the city being unsafe and crime ridden. On the other hand, the NYPD is refusing to file reports, if not downgrading them to a minor crime, to hide them from Compstat, which is a major factor in why it appears they have a drastic reduction in their major crime rates and prison rates. The NYPD is lying about how safe their city really is. The S.O.P of the NYPD is not the S.O.P of the DPD.

Maybe it's safe in Manhattan, which is a country club for people with million dollar closets that pushed the poor and career criminals out into surrounding areas, but once you get into those outer areas of the city it's as unsafe as this city if not more so. The NYPD is just lying to the public that it isn't. The NYPD model is not a good model for the DPD to follow. Like I said in another post, the DPD and State of Michigan should follow the LA model and three strikes' law.

What you said was you're "willing to bet this is S.O.P." with the DPD.

Then you said your friend's window was smashed, the contents were removed and your friend got their license plate # and called the DPD and the DPDs first question was, "Do you have the serial # of the item? No, well we can't help you".

We can't help you sounds like that was the end of the conversation with the DPD and no report was taken.

Now, if you're saying the DPD did write up a report, gave an occurrence number and it seemed like they never arrested the culprits, then I'm not taking an issue with your story as I already know the DPD is overwhelmed with other crimes from career criminals who are processed through a revolving door justice system.

The point is the DPD is not hiding this crime data from the public; they are at least honest about the city being unsafe and crime ridden. On the other hand, the NYPD is refusing to file reports, if not downgrading them to a minor crime, to hide them from Compstat, which is a major factor in why it appears they have a drastic reduction in their major crime rates and prison rates. The NYPD is lying about how safe their city really is. The S.O.P of the NYPD is not the S.O.P of the DPD.

Maybe it's safe in Manhattan, which is a country club for people with million dollar closets that pushed the poor and career criminals out into surrounding areas, but once you get into those outer areas of the city it's as unsafe as this city if not more so. The NYPD is just lying to the public that it isn't. The NYPD model is not a good model for the DPD to follow. Like I said in another post, the DPD and State of Michigan should follow the LA model and three strikes' law.

No offense, Dave, but I don't really care whether or not you take issue with my story. I am going to tell you DPD story #2, the one that started me thinking about the real world of Detroit. Where I lived, there was the usual Detroit street crime occurring. We started a "Safety Committee", and sent out survey to the residents asking who was a victim of crime, and whether or not you filed a police, [[DPD), report and where. We got 9 surveys back answering YES, so and so happened, and a police report was filed. Out of the 9 filings, the DPD could only pull up 3. Their answer was there must not have been reports filed. The residents swore statements were taken, and reports filed. Could they be lying? Of course. But knowing the people like I did, I don't think so. I have no idea why this happens, or for what reason, but based on what I've seen, I'm convinced it does. Call me out, ask for the names and SS#'s of the people that filed these reports, do what ever you'd like to make yourself feel better or bigger. If you think for a minute this City is being run by textbook rules, I think you're deluding yourself and really hoping that it is.

...<snip>...The point is the DPD is not hiding this crime data from the public; they are at least honest about the city being unsafe and crime ridden. On the other hand, the NYPD is refusing to file reports, if not downgrading them to a minor crime, to hide them from Compstat, which is a major factor in why it appears they have a drastic reduction in their major crime rates and prison rates. The NYPD is lying about how safe their city really is. The S.O.P of the NYPD is not the S.O.P of the DPD.

From http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/bronx/crime/ and http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/detroit/crime/

Detroit is in the 2nd percentile of safe cities [[w/ 100% being the best). The Bronx is at the 20th percentile. Detroit odds, 1 in 46 of being a victim. Bronx odds, 1 in 91. Not great, but better. btw, the Bronx population is about 1.4m. I don't think your dislike for NYPD holds us in crime stats anyway.

Sure, NYPD has had problems with crime stats and working to the test. Everyone does. But in their worse borough, they're doing much better than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    From http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ny/bronx/crime/ and http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/mi/detroit/crime/

Detroit is in the 2nd percentile of safe cities [[w/ 100% being the best). The Bronx is at the 20th percentile. Detroit odds, 1 in 46 of being a victim. Bronx odds, 1 in 91. Not great, but better. btw, the Bronx population is about 1.4m. I don't think your dislike for NYPD holds us in crime stats anyway.

Sure, NYPD has had problems with crime stats and working to the test. Everyone does. But in their worse borough, they're doing much better than Detroit.
    I never said Detroit was safe. I think just the opposite and it's because of Michigan's revolving door justice system. It'll never be safe unless the State starts building more prisons and bringing in three strike laws like California to deal with career criminals. LA has about the same per capita cops as Detroit, yet lower than national average crime rates. That's what Bing should be doing. Instead of taking the heat, he should be blaming it on the State for not building more prisons and bringing in tough laws to deal with career criminals like Three Strikes.

But, saying that, I don't think the Bronx is any safer than Detroit. We've already got real evidence from NYPD officers that they are refusing to write up reports and downgrading crimes to minor offenses for Compstat to make NY look a lot safer than it really is. So, if DPD is honest about how bad the crime is and the NYPD is dishonest about it because of Compstat, how do you know for sure that areas like the Bronx are any safer than Detroit? The stats on NY can no longer be trusted nor do they make any sense.

Think about it. How can you reduce incarceration rates by 28% and have huge drops in major crimes in NY? It's nonsensical. The only explanation is that the NYPD is letting career criminals go and filing them as small time offenses, like muggings as "Property Loss", or not even writing reports at all as the article states.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No offense, Dave, but I don't really care whether or not you take issue with my story. I am going to tell you DPD story #2, the one that started me thinking about the real world of Detroit. Where I lived, there was the usual Detroit street crime occurring. We started a "Safety Committee", and sent out survey to the residents asking who was a victim of crime, and whether or not you filed a police, [[DPD), report and where. We got 9 surveys back answering YES, so and so happened, and a police report was filed. Out of the 9 filings, the DPD could only pull up 3. Their answer was there must not have been reports filed. The residents swore statements were taken, and reports filed. Could they be lying? Of course. But knowing the people like I did, I don't think so. I have no idea why this happens, or for what reason, but based on what I've seen, I'm convinced it does. Call me out, ask for the names and SS#'s of the people that filed these reports, do what ever you'd like to make yourself feel better or bigger. If you think for a minute this City is being run by textbook rules, I think you're deluding yourself and really hoping that it is.
    An anonymous survey sample of 9 people you know. Where these all muggings? Where they graffitti complaints where they didn't even see who did it? The sample is so vague and small that it's completely useless.

The FBI [[flagged keyword) crime data is established by the reports received by the different cities so it would reflect what one would want it to reflect,would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The FBI [[flagged keyword) crime data is established by the reports received by the different cities so it would reflect what one would want it to reflect,would it not?
    Are you telling this to me or Wesley? The FBI crime data would only be as reliable as the data given to it by the NYPD as their precincts would be policing their own respective areas and deciding whether to write up a report or not and what to file the incident as and that data is what would be forwarded to the FBI.

You should listen to some of the interviews with NY police officer Adrian Schoolcraft. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=414 Go to 32mins. Officer Schoolcraft interviewed NYPD Detective, Herbert Hernandez of the 33rd precinct. The detective picked up a serial rapist named Daryl Thomas involved in first degree rape. He admitted getting picked up for 8 other rapes in the area and was let go and the detective or the public was never notified there was a serial rapist in the area. He drove around the area with the suspect and the suspect pointed out where they happened and the detective looked it up and the crimes were downgraded as minor offenses such as criminal trespass. NYPD went out their way to cover it up for Compstat.
    Last edited by davewindsor; February-12-13 at 10:35 PM.

Just bits of information.

What confuses me a bit about Detroit is the whole definition of Home Invasion.

What I am used to is Home Invasion which is classed a felony,consists of home owners are in the house and the door gets kicked in ,a serious felony at that.

It seems and I may be mistaken a unoccupied burglary in Detroit ,which is a misdemeanor where I am at is considered a Home Invasion in Detroit.

Which would actually push the felony verses misdemeanor statistics up not on par with many other states. Different classes of felonies and misdemeanor ,so if that is the case the numbers would also be fudged a bit there also.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Fair enough STrong.

My question to you is, how you do propose we reduce Detroit's crime rate by 40%?
    Bring back "Stress"

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Bring back "Stress"
    You're a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Bring back "Stress"
    While we're at it, why not just send the National Guard in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2