Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Development of State Fairgrounds continues to move forward.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...n-moves-ahead/

Magic Johnson's Plan to bring theaters, housing and retail to the State Fairgrounds was approved by the State Land Bank.

Will Johnson be the next multimillionaire to leave his mark on Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...n-moves-ahead/

Magic Johnson's Plan to bring theaters, housing and retail to the State Fairgrounds was approved by the State Land Bank.

Will Johnson be the next multimillionaire to leave his mark on Detroit?
    I would love to see Magic Johnson partner with the NBA and open a NBA store downtown or at the Gateway Shopping Center

If there's going to be another mall located at the State Fairgrounds, we're really going to have to take a step back for a minute.

We do need a Meijer and we're getting that. But we also need to make it easier for those without cars to get to that shopping center. The State Fair Transit Center is located about a few miles south of the shopping center, making the trip to Meijer a long walk for those on the bus, including handicapped persons.

There should be a much improved transit center made for the fairgrounds, first.

As for adding theatres, and restaurants, I welcome that to the area. There needs to be an opportunity for small businesses to sell their wares there. Although Meijer will be the main retailer in that area, I'm sure that there's plenty of room for new stores to be opened.

However, many stores within malls are starting to close up, because more people shop online now. Housing would be great to set up within the area, but make sure to have private security handle patrols since the city has a thin police force.

I would like to know if Magic's shopping center will be contained indoors, or will it be like a mini-mall like Meijer.

That plan better work.

I really don't understand the push to development this property and don't see how it fits in with the Mayor's plan to concentrate and "shrink" the city.
    The area already has a massive amount of empty commercial and residential. Wouldn't it be better to keep the entire complex secured and mothballed and concentrate on redeveloping the existing neighborhoods and retail sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I really don't understand the push to development this property and don't see how it fits in with the Mayor's plan to concentrate and "shrink" the city.
    The area already has a massive amount of empty commercial and residential. Wouldn't it be better to keep the entire complex secured and mothballed and concentrate on redeveloping the existing neighborhoods and retail sites?
    I think this idea for developing the fairgrounds is dubious, but developing a higher-density mixed-use area along the Woodward corridor is certainly in keeping with the overall shrinkage concept.

This development, at least based on what I saw a few months back, is mixed use, and will include a commuter rail station [[not Woodward light rail, but the Pontiac/DTW/Ann Arbor rail line).

The State Fair Transit Center is located about a few miles south of the shopping center, making the trip to Meijer a long walk for those on the bus, including handicapped persons.

There should be a much improved transit center made for the fairgrounds, first.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 6.54.18 PM.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  34.2 KB

The transit center at the bottom of the picture could be quite walkable to this development if they choose to make it so. Maybe a more direct sidewalk is an option. Not super convenient but surely not miles.

The developers made noise about a commuter rail station. That's the typical gilding-the-lily you get with these proposals where they throw out all kinds of concepts that they know people will like despite the fact that Amtrak or whatever entity that is going to be running the trains has no plans at all for a station at that location.

For commuter rail purposes, that would not be up to Amtrak. It would be up to SEMCOG and its planners. Just because there is a train station there doesn't mean Amtrak has to stop there. And just because Amtrak will most likely be the commuter rail service operator doesn't mean they make those choices. In my opinion, Amtrak would be stupid not to stop there with there not being a stop in Ferndale and there being plentiful space for parking.

GhettoHoodRat Guest

This will not work! LOL...They gonna put liquor stores, dollar stores, mcdonalds there?? If anybody thinks its gonna work, you are delusional! We ain't in no Basel Switzerland...please...What people from Sherwood Forest are going to come mingle with East Side 7 mile riffraff? Livernois is there?? and look at it! BULLDOZE and Shrink this 3rd world slum! Make it a smaller slum.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    For commuter rail purposes, that would not be up to Amtrak. It would be up to SEMCOG and its planners. Just because there is a train station there doesn't mean Amtrak has to stop there. And just because Amtrak will most likely be the commuter rail service operator doesn't mean they make those choices. In my opinion, Amtrak would be stupid not to stop there with there not being a stop in Ferndale and there being plentiful space for parking.
    I don't think plentiful space for parking will be needed, I'm not leaving my car parked at the state fairgrounds while I take the Amtrak to Chicago for the weekend...

Great solution ........ !

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoHoodRat View Post
    BULLDOZE and Shrink this 3rd world slum! Make it a smaller slum.

I would be concerned about leaving my car there as well. There are some problems sometimes with car lots out at Metro Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I don't think plentiful space for parking will be needed, I'm not leaving my car parked at the state fairgrounds while I take the Amtrak to Chicago for the weekend...
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-13 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I would be concerned about leaving my car there as well. There are some problems sometimes with car lots out at Metro Airport!
    Use one of the privately-owned off-airport parking lots. They patrol their lots pretty well and will keep your car safe. They also run a pretty good shuttle service.

State Fair Burger King/Best Buy complex

Hear Joel Ferguson speak....
    http://www.michigannow.org/2013/01/2...at-state-fair/

and a bite from Magic in September

http://www.michigannow.org/2012/09/07/state-fair-magic/

make transit happen! hopefully the development will not ignore this. bus depots, light rail depots, etc.

will this development include apartments/condos?

If someone really want to snoop they should really investigate the whole DEAL behind the sale of the 40 acres and WHO IS and WAS behind it and HOW MUCH. Same goes with the Fairgrounds. But nobody cares and the crooks and liars SCORE again!

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    If someone really want to snoop they should really investigate the whole DEAL behind the sale of the 40 acres and WHO IS and WAS behind it and HOW MUCH. Same goes with the Fairgrounds. But nobody cares and the crooks and liars SCORE again!
    Something you'd like to share????

I've heard others say that the fix was in for Magic LLP from the beginning, or laugh and feign surprise that there would be any shenanigans benefitting well-connected developers.

Basically, I would expect something ranging from poor to mediocre if Earvin gets the parcel. Something like this:

Name:  blacktop.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  16.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I've heard others say that the fix was in for Magic LLP from the beginning, or laugh and feign surprise that there would be any shenanigans benefitting well-connected developers.

Basically, I would expect something ranging from poor to mediocre if Earvin gets the parcel. Something like this:

Yeah, the whole thing seemed like a scam to me. Why the rush to sell it instead of trying to find a way to bring back the fair? It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yeah, the whole thing seemed like a scam to me. Why the rush to sell it instead of trying to find a way to bring back the fair? It sucks.
    Because Magic can't make money from the Fair, and neither can whoever sold the property.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-14-13 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Take the bus there? Or, possibly walk, if you are in Ferndale or surrounding area?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

I agree...

Let's just say this is the beginning in a round about way...

http://www2.metrotimes.com/20/46/SixDegrees/default.htm

add the sale price of $1. This was the price the State paid JL Hudson family for the use of the property as fairgrounds.

There have been SOOO many proposals for this site it's amazing. Maybe one will take off and be truly sucessful but I won't believe it until I see it. Some folks are going to get very rich... not there is nothing wrong with riches but underneath I smell stink.... same smell under alot of things in this world... lol

"Redico, the Southfield-based developer, has unveiled preliminary new plans and has hired SmithGroup, an architectural firm, and another global firm, Parsons Brinckerhoff, as a mass transit consultant — signaling that the firm is aiming higher aesthetically and conceptually as it prepares to meet a state requirement for a transit plan."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz39X7f2NTh