Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paczki Day 2013

Default Paczki Day 2013

Everyone's excited about Paczki Day? Hamtramck is to be for real Polish made Paczek. Can't wait to buy em by the bakers' dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Everyone's excited about Paczki Day? Hamtramck is to be for real Polish made Paczek. Can't wait to buy em by the bakers' dozen.
    You might have to settle for Middle Eastern Paczki.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You might have to settle for Middle Eastern Paczki.
    Let's be honest. It's really just an excuse to take a day or two off work and get bombed at Suzy's.

^^You got me

From the Hamtramck Star:

Paczki Day schedule 2013

Order your paczki in advance!
    New Palace Bakery, 9833 Joseph Campau: Saturday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday Paczki Day, 3 a.m. until out. Hot cross buns available Wednesday, February 14th, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.. Full list of flavors, including three-flavor combos like “Hamtramck Banana Boat” available on their website. 313-875-1334
    New Martha Washington, 10335 Joseph Campau: Open all night, from 5 a.m. Monday February 11th through February 12th until they run out. Shipping available February 6 through February 9. Raspberry, Pineapple, apple, prune, strawberry, apricot, plain sugar, blueberry, boston cream, custard, Bavarian Creme, cherry, lemon, chocolate Bavarian, butter cream, black raspberry. 313-873-1988
    Family Donut Shop, 11300 Conant: Sunday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday 4 a.m. to 9 p.m., Tuesday 3 a.m. until they run out. Cherry, sugar, plain, blueberry, raspberry, apple, custard, lemon, strawberry, apricot, prune. 13$ per dozen, $7 1/2 dozen, $1.25 each. 313-368-9214
    Detroit Donut, 9101 Joseph Campau: Monday and Tuesday open from 4:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Lemon Boston cream, jelly, strawberry, blueberry, apple, chocolate, cream filled, cherry, raspberry, prune, apple cut, custard, apple spice. $9.49 for 1 dozen, $4.99 1/2 dozen, $2.59 for 3, 95 cents each.
    Bozek’s Market, 3317 Caniff, 9 flavors, $10.99 per dozen.
    Polish Market, Srodek’s, and Stan’s grocery generally have paczki as well, though they did not place advertisements.

Saturday, February 9

PaczKi Day 5K by Tour Detroit, 10 a.m.: Only in Hamtramck, a paczek and a beer will be served to every participant of age. Several local stores will be offering discounts to runners, such as New Dodge Lounge, Whiskey in the Jar, Chiipss, Detroit Threads, Srodek’s Campau Quality Sausage, Polish Art Center, Record Graveyard on Caniff, and Amici’s. Race day registration is $35 [[cash only). Day-of packet pick-up begins 7 a.m. at the race’s starting line. All runners/walkers who register will receive a t-shirt; colors for paczki flavors, blueberry, apricot, strawberry or chocolate. More than 1000 runners have signed up so far.
    Countdown to Paczki Day: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in a heated tent in the Glory parking lot on Joseph Campau at Holbrook, polka music, dancing, and paczki.

Fat Tuesday, February 12
    Hamtramck Moose Lodge:
    Breakfast served from 7 to 11 a.m., $5 donation for the meal, proceeds benefit the Hamtramck Goodfellows. Egg sausage souffle, homemade fresh kielbasa, paczki.
    Polish Sea League, 2601 Edwin: open at 9 a.m. for complimentary breakfast and paczki, drink specials, performances by JoTown and DJ Escalade.
    New Dodge Lounge: Paczki Palooza 2013, open at 7:00 a.m., performances by Polish Muslims, The Party, Jo-Town, Misty Blues, DJ Blayd, Acoustic After Party w/ Tony Paris, authentic Polish cuisine, paczki, drink specials, Miller Girls, live Broadcast by WRIF, a Men’s Hot Leg Contest that is rumored to begin at around 11 a.m.. Councilman Zwolak is threatening to defend his title as the 2012 winner.
    7 Brothers: Open at 8 a.m., “Enjoy paczki in your shots of Jezy! Wear a mardi gras mask! Flirt with strangers! Dance like you’re giving it up for lent!”
    PLAV Post 10: Open at 10 a.m., Polish food, drink specials, live bands, DJ Chuck E, and the original Paczki eating contest. Registration starts at 11 a.m.. Contest will start around 12.
    1 p.m. Polka Floyd
    3 p.m. Danny D
    6 p.m. Polish Muslims
    Small’s: Open at 10 a.m., $3 Paczki Bombs, food, limited supply of 2013 Paczki Day shirts. No cover.
    4-4:45 p.m. East Side Elvis [[main)
    4:45-5:15 p.m.: Friendship is Rare: a Tenacious D tribute [[bar)
    5:15-6 p.m.: East Side Elvis [[main)
    6:30-7:30 p.m.: Polka Floyd [[main)
    7:30-8 p.m.: Captains of the Head [[bar)
    8:00-9 p.m.: Polka Floyd [[main)
    Whiskey in the Jar: Open at 10 a.m., Polish Muslims, Kielbasa Kings, tent behind the bar.
    Celina’s: Open at 10 a.m., Club V dancers at 9 p.m.. Free paczki.
    Detroit Threads: Fattin’ OUT! Paczki Day Party from 12 p.m. until 8 p.m., Djs, free Paczki.
    6 – 8pm Jeffery Woodward :::UKGarage
    4:30 – 6pm Matt Clarke :::ACID HOUSE
    3 – 4:30pm Nospectacle :::Nospectacle
    1:30 – 3pm East Side Jon :::Funk Night
    noon -1:30 superjoint :::TheFunkBelow
    Jean’s, Suzy’s, Head Coach, Baker Streetcar, and Hippo’s will surely be open for locals seeking refuge from the crowds.
    A Pub Crawl hosted by WRIF’s Jade will start at 3 p.m.. Bars on their crawl schedule include PLAV Post 10, Baker Streetcar, and Polish Sea League.

Ash Wednesday, February 13

PLAV Post 10:
    The first fish-fry of the Lenten season, from noon until 7 p.m.. Fresh lake perch, cod, potato pancakes, pierogi, pickerel, shrimp, and combo plates.

http://www.hamtramckstar.com/paczki-day-2013/

I will get mine from the French Patisserie owned by an Italian next to my shop.

Those on the west side can go to Chene Modern on Warren just E of the Southfield! Its where John Dingell, John Conyers, Nancy Polosi, and Jesse Jackson get their polish baked goods!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chene...=photos_stream

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I will get mine from the French Patisserie owned by an Italian next to my shop.
    josef's.....

Don't forget Supreme Bakery on the westside - Panama & Florida - off Central between Ford Rd. and Michigan Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    Don't forget Supreme Bakery on the westside - Panama & Florida - off Central between Ford Rd. and Michigan Ave.
    Do you mean McGraw? If not I am confused.

Default World's largest paczki?

Is this the world's largest paczki? The Pumpernick & Pastry bakery did not say how much it weighed but it was as big as would fit in the deep fryer.
    Name:  Paczki.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  25.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    I had these last year. They didn't taste that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    From the Hamtramck Star:

Paczki Day schedule 2013

Fat Tuesday, February 12
    Hamtramck Moose Lodge:
    Breakfast served from 7 to 11 a.m., $5 donation for the meal, proceeds benefit the Hamtramck Goodfellows. Egg sausage souffle, homemade fresh kielbasa, paczki.
    Polish Sea League, 2601 Edwin: open at 9 a.m. for complimentary breakfast and paczki, drink specials, performances by JoTown and DJ Escalade.
    New Dodge Lounge: Paczki Palooza 2013, open at 7:00 a.m., performances by Polish Muslims, The Party, Jo-Town, Misty Blues, DJ Blayd, Acoustic After Party w/ Tony Paris, authentic Polish cuisine, paczki, drink specials, Miller Girls, live Broadcast by WRIF, a Men’s Hot Leg Contest that is rumored to begin at around 11 a.m.. Councilman Zwolak is threatening to defend his title as the 2012 winner.
    7 Brothers: Open at 8 a.m., “Enjoy paczki in your shots of Jezy! Wear a mardi gras mask! Flirt with strangers! Dance like you’re giving it up for lent!”
    PLAV Post 10: Open at 10 a.m., Polish food, drink specials, live bands, DJ Chuck E, and the original Paczki eating contest. Registration starts at 11 a.m.. Contest will start around 12.
    1 p.m. Polka Floyd
    3 p.m. Danny D
    6 p.m. Polish Muslims
    Small’s: Open at 10 a.m., $3 Paczki Bombs, food, limited supply of 2013 Paczki Day shirts. No cover.
    4-4:45 p.m. East Side Elvis [[main)
    4:45-5:15 p.m.: Friendship is Rare: a Tenacious D tribute [[bar)
    5:15-6 p.m.: East Side Elvis [[main)
    6:30-7:30 p.m.: Polka Floyd [[main)
    7:30-8 p.m.: Captains of the Head [[bar)
    8:00-9 p.m.: Polka Floyd [[main)
    Whiskey in the Jar: Open at 10 a.m., Polish Muslims, Kielbasa Kings, tent behind the bar.
    Celina’s: Open at 10 a.m., Club V dancers at 9 p.m.. Free paczki.
    Detroit Threads: Fattin’ OUT! Paczki Day Party from 12 p.m. until 8 p.m., Djs, free Paczki.
    6 – 8pm Jeffery Woodward :::UKGarage
    4:30 – 6pm Matt Clarke :::ACID HOUSE
    3 – 4:30pm Nospectacle :::Nospectacle
    1:30 – 3pm East Side Jon :::Funk Night
    noon -1:30 superjoint :::TheFunkBelow
    Jean’s, Suzy’s, Head Coach, Baker Streetcar, and Hippo’s will surely be open for locals seeking refuge from the crowds.
    A Pub Crawl hosted by WRIF’s Jade will start at 3 p.m.. Bars on their crawl schedule include PLAV Post 10, Baker Streetcar, and Polish Sea League.

Ash Wednesday, February 13

PLAV Post 10:
    The first fish-fry of the Lenten season, from noon until 7 p.m.. Fresh lake perch, cod, potato pancakes, pierogi, pickerel, shrimp, and combo plates.

http://www.hamtramckstar.com/paczki-day-2013/
    Yes, yes, the Polish equivalent of St. Patrick's Day around here.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Do you mean McGraw? If not I am confused.
    Ford becomes McGraw so...
    And it's on Proctor, not Florida.
    Last edited by jcole; February-11-13 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Which is why I have little interest in setting foot in Hamtramck Tuesday. It's become a drunkfest, of which I am not participating. I'll stop elsewhere and get my caloric intake quadrupled for the day, thanks.

Fat Tuesday is so fat [[cue Johnny Carson), that they're already lined up outside some of the bakeries TODAY.
    Last edited by Lostlegumes; February-12-13 at 01:17 PM.

Heritage Bakery at 5 mi and Newbourgh in Livonia are as good as any!

http://www.heritage-bakery.com/paczki

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Let's be honest. It's really just an excuse to take a day or two off work and get bombed at Suzy's.
    Suzy's. Where alcoholics go to die.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    More like the Polish version of Mardi Gras.

Enjoy your paczki, everyone. I think I'll get my refined sugar fix with a big hunk of chocolate this year.

Heritage is the BEST! I was going to post that yesterday but didn't want to until I got mine. Even @ 5:30 this morning, the line was out the door. They're INCREDIBLY fresh [[unlike Hamtramck where they start making them days in advance) and SO loaded with jelly that I have to warn folks so they don't wear it!
    SMACZNE!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Heritage is the BEST! I was going to post that yesterday but didn't want to until I got mine. Even @ 5:30 this morning, the line was out the door. They're INCREDIBLY fresh [[unlike Hamtramck where they start making them days in advance) and SO loaded with jelly that I have to warn folks so they don't wear it!
    SMACZNE!!
    Where is Heritage? Thanx.

Heritage is @ 5 Mile & Newburg, as Wheels mentioned above: http://www.heritage-bakery.com/paczki. They also make WONDERFUL cakes, pasties [[1/2 pie pan!), quiche, and breads. I've entered them in Channel 4's "Vote for the Best" every year.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Heritage is @ 5 Mile & Newburg, as Wheels mentioned above: http://www.heritage-bakery.com/paczki. They also make WONDERFUL cakes, pasties [[1/2 pie pan!), quiche, and breads. I've entered them in Channel 4's "Vote for the Best" every year.
    Sorry, missed the original post. Sounds GREAT, but a bit too far to travel. I'll check it out next time I'm in the 'hood.

Paczki day is such bullshit. Why is it so hard to just add them to the menu for a day? There's no valid reason every other item should be taken OFF the menu just because its Paczki day. Its so irritating when I walk into the donut shop, order my usual, only to be told that I can't have it because its f-ing Paczki day. If they were that good, then they wouldn't be celebrated just one day a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast