Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City worker shoots would-be robbers in Detroit

A Detroit Public Lighting worker used his handgun Thursday night to shoot at two young men who tried to rob him and his coworker while they were working at Schoolcraft and Cloverlawn Avenue on the city's west side, police said.

The DPL worker's gunfire struck the suspects who were then taken to a hospital.

The city worker had a license to carry a sidearm.

One suspect, a 16-year-old, was listed in critical condition. The other, 17, was listed in temp-serious condition.

Police say the two teens are brothers. They say the suspects robbed the workers once Thursday night and went back to the area to rob them again. That's when the worker used his gun.

The suspects are in police custody. The city workers were not harmed.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/C...z/-/index.html

Another example of teens gone very wrong. And per the article they'd robbed the workers before!

Quote Originally Posted by Casual View Post
    One suspect, a 16-year-old, was listed in critical condition. The other, 17, was listed in temp-serious condition.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-08-13 at 06:25 AM.

Another banner day for the NRA, whether they deserve it or not.

They'd better come confiscate all the weapons in the city soon, or more of these self-defense-positive stories will dwarf their attempts at gun reform.

Yeah, I know nobody is talking confiscation, that is a wee joke...in the midst of a much bigger one that nobody should be laughing at.

I am somewhat thankful that this city worker didn't pull his gun the first time. Now, nobody can call him a quick-draw yahoo with an itchy trigger finger. He only defended himself with the firearm when they came back for more. Good on him...but I'm betting he merely wasn't prepared the first time.

Sincerely,
    John

I hear you. People are getting tired of being set up as 'marks' and the dissolution of our teens to take up 'robbing-for-sport' speaks to a serious social angst. They are not robbing and stealing because they are hungry... absolutely not!

Score 1 for the good guys.

Geniuses @ work. Did they really think they could just keep going back for more money? Educate our kids.......

Unfortunately, I'm sure the lawsuit against the city has already been filed.

That's right. They're good boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's right. They're good boys.
    that "never owned a gun..."

Great. The defense attorney needs to deal in the D at the wrong place/ wrong time and report on his outcomes!

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm sure the lawsuit against the city has already been filed.

I agree about the lawsuit and more than likely the City employee will be fired for bringing the gun to work, that's a no no unless you're a cop, whether you have a CPL or not.

I know that Detroit settles lawsuits quickly just to get them off their backs and will pay whether they are right or wrong, which is really stupid. Bus accidents with 4 people on board usually end up with 20 people who "claim" they were on the bus suing the City for injuries, and they win.

Got a question for those of you who may know....when someone is arrested in Detroit, if they claim they are sick or need to go to the hospital with "shortness of breath" or something else, who pays the medical expenses? I have heard that when someone is in custody, the City pays all medical expenses at whatever hospital the perp is taken to. Anyone know the answer?

It's going to be a mess especially as the robbers where teens!

But some have just thrown up their hands and feel they do best to choose a jury of 12 over pallbearers of 6!

YAY!

Detroiters take the law into their own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It's going to be a mess especially as the robbers where teens!

But some have just thrown up their hands and feel they do best to choose a jury of 12 over pallbearers of 6!
    Why should it make a difference ? Being shot dead by a 16 year old kid doesn't make you any less dead that being killed by a 21 year old. If these kids want to do adult crimes then they have to understand there are risks involved, up to and including death.

^^^ I GET that... but that is how it's going to go from the defense side.

TheCity worker isn't going to lose his job. This is a situation where a union and a union lawyer come in. If it is true that a city employee working on the mean streets can't have a weapon, the union will appeal with the facts about minimal police protection, EMS response and the fact that DTE workers are accompanied by armed guards in many instances, that pizza is no longer delivered in many hoods,etc. The guy will keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    TheCity worker isn't going to lose his job. This is a situation where a union and a union lawyer come in. If it is true that a city employee working on the mean streets can't have a weapon, the union will appeal with the facts about minimal police protection, EMS response and the fact that DTE workers are accompanied by armed guards in many instances, that pizza is no longer delivered in many hoods,etc. The guy will keep his job.
    I hope you're right, but the City has been known to do crazier things to make an example out of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I GET that... but that is how it's going to go from the defense side.
    You are more than likely correct. Unless the Wayne County juries stop siding with these punks and their families trying to cash in nothing will change.

This guy was fired for finding a gun on the job and turning it in!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/15...ng-it-to-cops/

That outcome would be incredible indeed...

These teens pulled a gun on the workers... not sure what they were expecting: chumps waiting to be rolled AGAIN? I wonder if these kids are holding and waving their guns 'sideways' and all the stupid stuff they see on film and vid games.

Obviously their victims are aiming straight and true in response. Four teens in a week reaping the ultimate consequences for robbery-for-sport! One deceased. Three others remain in hospitals! Not good times!

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    You are more than likely correct. Unless the Wayne County juries stop siding with these punks and their families trying to cash in nothing will change.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-09-13 at 07:57 AM.

Someone is flat out lying in this article. I think it's the worker because he doesn't seemed pissed enough. If his side of the story is legit, he shouldn't have been fired. Time will reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Someone is flat out lying in this article. I think it's the worker because he doesn't seemed pissed enough. If his side of the story is legit, he shouldn't have been fired. Time will reveal.
    But shouldn't facts rule over emotional impressions?