Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Students from DPS' MCH at Cody go skiing

I have to say, I am doing a bit of bragging here. I just need to get something positive out there about my kids. My seniors asked me to plan a ski trip [[just a day trip, no overnight). I don't ski...let me just say that. I relented and planned it. We went to Pine Knob Ski Resort. Beaumont Hospital donated helmets to the ski school for students to use. We happened to be in the right place at the right time and they called to ask if they could do a press release with my students using the helmets. Positive press is always a great thing for us. I agreed. Here are some links to the articles and news reports, featuring my students. We had a BLAST [[and yes, I did go skiing)! The kids were taken out of their comfort zone and more than a few were expressing the desire to do it again. Anyway, just some bragging going on from the teacher I'm proud of my kids. We'll also be on Channel 2 News with Dena Centofanti on Friday 2-8-13 at 5pm. Ignore my interview, I sound like a bafoon.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...skiing-helmets

http://www.tv20detroit.com/news/loca...190129291.html

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I have to say, I am doing a bit of bragging here. I just need to get something positive out there about my kids. My seniors asked me to plan a ski trip [[just a day trip, no overnight). I don't ski...let me just say that. I relented and planned it. We went to Pine Knob Ski Resort. Beaumont Hospital donated helmets to the ski school for students to use. We happened to be in the right place at the right time and they called to ask if they could do a press release with my students using the helmets. Positive press is always a great thing for us. I agreed. Here are some links to the articles and news reports, featuring my students. We had a BLAST [[and yes, I did go skiing)! The kids were taken out of their comfort zone and more than a few were expressing the desire to do it again. Anyway, just some bragging going on from the teacher I'm proud of my kids. We'll also be on Channel 2 News with Dena Centofanti on Friday 2-8-13 at 5pm. Ignore my interview, I sound like a bafoon.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...skiing-helmets

http://www.tv20detroit.com/news/loca...190129291.html
    HECK YES! EXCELLENT post! That's exactly what's needed. Get the kids out, and show them there's other world's out there besides what's in their 'hood. It'll get them thinking.

We also couldn't have gotten a better deal! The MSIA School Days Program was offering equipment, an hour lesson [[we got much more than an hour), and time on the slopes for 30.00 each student. We couldn't pass that up! We also had THE MOST PERFECT day for our trip. Sun was out, weather was mild [[although we were all working up a sweat)...just an overall perfect day! I really have to hand it to Pine Knob Ski Resort and their instructors. They treated us like royalty [[and it wasn't just because the news crews were there). Everyone there was just great. We'd also like to thank Beaumont for their donation of the helmets for students to use! We were falling down for a good long time and the helmets really were appreciated. Normally, helmets are 5.00 to rent and most kids don't rent them. We required the kids to wear them [[safety first).

Way to go, DT!! Where have you been, anyway? Stromberg2

Hey, DetroitTeacher. you are the royalty. Nice job in making this happen.

DT has anyone talked to you about possible cloning?

Go Comets! I went to Everette which is now the South Wing.

I've been around. Working WAY TOO MUCH!! I think I have a bit more on my plate than I would have liked but it's all good and it's all for the kids. Senior Sponsor, School Improvement Plan guru, Yearbook Advisor, teacher, Lead Teacher for the ELA dept., webmaster for the school, mom, daughter, sister...you know, the usual life stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Way to go, DT!! Where have you been, anyway? Stromberg2

Now, no one wants THAT! I think one of me is quite enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    DT has anyone talked to you about possible cloning?

DT, you are a shining example of what it means to be a dedicated professional. Congratulations on a job well done.

oh, one more thing, don't fuss over not being get with your first time being on-camera. It is an exceedingly self-conscious thing to do. The microphone seems huge and the camera makes you aware of so many things... like your hair, your clothes, any grammatical flub or linguistic stumble.

Gannon has a theory about the camera altering reality by simply being turned on a subject, others say it steals their soul; when you think about it do you really want to be like those folks who always have something glib to say? Like Sam Riddle or Kwame or Howard Stern?

maybe there is something to that soul-stealing theory ....
    Last edited by gnome; February-09-13 at 07:11 AM.

I am just so glad they didn't use my interview! I am much happier seeing my kids in the spotlight for something positive and allowing them their 15 seconds of fame. She asked me, "aside from it being fun, what was the purpose of the trip?" I was like, "uhmmmmmmm, math and science AND they are learning teamwork." I really wanted to tell her the kids deserved to have some fun, so that's what we were doing. I need to prepare statements ahead of time, I hate being put on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    DT, you are a shining example of what it means to be a dedicated professional. Congratulations on a job well done.

oh, one more thing, don't fuss over not being get with your first time being on-camera. It is an exceedingly self-conscious thing to do. The microphone seems huge and the camera makes you aware of so many things... like your hair, your clothes, any grammatical flub or linguistic stumble.

Gannon has a theory about the camera altering reality by simply being turned on a subject, others say it steals their soul; when you think about it do you really want to be like those folks who always have something glib to say? Like Sam Riddle or Kwame or Howard Stern?

maybe there is something to that soul-stealing theory ....

Actually, the Everette wing is now the school of Detroit Institute of Technology at Cody. It's one of the small school within the Cody Complex.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Go Comets! I went to Everette which is now the South Wing.